2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Computer is a Sweetwater Creation Station 100 that came with Studio One 5 (fully updated as of this post)

I have used 2 different Studiologic SL73 controllers and an M-Audio Hammer88 controller that all exhibit the same anomalies.

Tried both MIDI and USB connections. Tried replacing MIDI and USB cables to eliminate cable issues. (Currently using USB only, MIDI is not hooked up simultaneously with USB)

I only have one controller and one Faderport, the Hammer88. Unhooking Faderport doesn't change anything.

Using a piano-style sustain pedal. Either connected or disconnected has no effect on results.

Presonus Tech Support and Sweetwater Tech Support have not been able to sort it out. Anyone else experiencing similar behavior?

Here is one of my conversations with Presonus Tech Support:

Attached is a song file experiment I tried tonight. If you solo each track, you'll find the following:

There are 5 tracks of recording. The first two are the untouched recording of the same performance on 2 separate tracks with 2 different plug-ins. One track is Waves Grand Rhapsody (WGR) the other is Presence.

The sustain pedal was unplugged and that made no difference in the results. I had tried earlier and played without the pedal and left unplugged to be sure it wasn't a factor.

I played one note on the controller at a moderate pace and attack, doing my best to be consistent in how I played. I did not play to a click FWIW.

On playback, WGR plays without any issues other than my under-developed technique. This track is labeled “Grand Rhapsody Untouched”

Presence displays 6 anomalies out of 28 notes (The notes are numbers 12, 14, 17, 19, 21 and 28). This track is labeled “Presence Untouched”

I copied the Presence track (complete) and looked at the velocities. Each of the wrong sounding notes (reduced volume and timbre) was 62% velocity or higher. Each of the notes that plays correctly was basically under 60%.

I then went in and adjusted the velocities individually so that they were all at the same value at 63% and ended up with the track that I labeled “Presence 63% Velocity”. All 28 notes now play at reduced volume and timbre.

I copied the original track (complete) a second time and went in and adjusted the velocities individually so that they were all at the same value at 60% and ended up with the track that I labeled “Presence Grid Velocity 60%”. All 28 notes now play perfectly and ring with a clear tone. On this track, I individually moved each event so that the timing would be perfect by hand. I didn't want to quantize because I didn't want a potential extra variable. So this track has both the velocities and the timing manipulated.

I copied the Presence track (complete) a third time. I manually adjusted every other note to 55% velocity (the “odd” notes). The remaining (“even”) notes I manually adjusted to 65% velocity. This gave clear notes at 55% and reduced volume and timbre notes at 65% velocity as I had expected it would.

I hope this helps. For the first time in all of this, I am confident that it isn't user error, which is always the worse outcome after so much time and effort from all of the tech support people trying to sort this out with me. Thank you!

I realized after the fact that it might be useful to transform the WGR track to audio so that's included also.

Attachments
Pi-anny Practice.song
Tracks 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are the relevant tracks. The tracks at the bottom are from previous attempts at showing the issue. (Piano is a new instrument for me, performances are, well, not...)
(146.36 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
by robertgray3 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:51 am
When I play back your song the "Presence Untouched" track does play back incorrectly. If I change the patch in Presence to anything other than Presonus Studio Grand it plays fine.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just an issue with Studio Grand, especially since you mentioned specific velocities triggering it. The reason I suspect this is because the Presence Studio Grand library which you are using is already known to be mapped incorrectly for velocity and Presonus is unable to fix it due to it being adapted from an old SoundFont format.

If you want to see what I mean about the velocity, test playing it soft- it will trigger the hard samples. Playing it hard will trigger the soft samples. Support has confirmed this with me before and stated there are no plans to fix it, nor can they fix it apparently.

I personally think they should license another Grand Piano library for S1 Pro as there are plenty out there, but that's just my opinion.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2

2 posts
Page 1 of 1