51 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
I have never ever paid anything more than 50% off for a UAD plugin. Often way less than that.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by Lokeyfly on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:23 am
jBranam wrotelol jim...

what i meant by 'decent' is what comes with the interface and NOT the quality of the plugs imo pretty much ALL plugs these days (by reputable companies) are pretty stellar comparatively to the past. sad part is... some companies imo think too highly of themselves and their product and charge way too much for their devices AND/OR accompanying software. cheers :)

You're advice Jay in my opinion was awsome. Right there in price, quality, available inputs, and it also has a host of about 30 plugins. Not to mention, it can run stand alone. Also has VERY impressive and tight internal clock (it's what they do).

I'm with you brother! Very nice choice. Has me looking as well.

You're also correct in that some companies think too highly of themselves, but not here. Great choice! You didn't, nor would you ever barge in saying what's best. Not your style.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by darrenporter1 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:46 am
Whatever. OP asked for advice... I gave it. I stand by my OPINION. Contrary to the popular "party line" in this forum, you actually do get what you pay for and not all interfaces and plugins are created equally. Like I said... I was once a critic of everything UA for all of the reasons you gave but when I actually did some research and tried it for myself, I discovered all of that was just not true and now I am a proud actual user of their products, which - in my OPINION - are awesome. I never bashed your choice... just saying there are other alternatives that can give you a lot more features for your money.

Are you also forgetting that I also said his Focusrite is a great interface? And I recommended an Audient or RME as well?

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by jBranam on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:11 pm
well 'best' is quite subjective... we all have our own opinions but sadly i have learned you have to STATE it is one's opinion or else someone wants to argue... but heck they (people) even argue with opinions these days lol the old joke "people that think they know everything only irritate those of us who do" works... but personally i don't know everything... EVERYTHING is not worth knowing lol j/k

and darren no one was 'attacking' your opinion and i am glad you are happy with your gear. also if you get all your UA plugs at 50% off you are a wise man. good on ya! i am sure you have to wait on getting what you want to get those prices (sales) my standing rule (and i rarely break it) is... i never pay retail. i have become patient enough to wait for sales... probably my main reason for not already buying the antelope i keep looking at. ;)

cheers

p.s. as for audient... i have loved my 1st gen id4 (the new mkii has loopback) and i have never heard anyone bad mouth the RME baby except for the price and inputs. if one has the money i think the baby face is still king in latency round trip :thumbup:

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:40 pm
I'd go to have enough money to go UAD. I'm sure they are quite nice but I'd like the one with the most horsepower and a billion of the plugs so it's just not economically feasible here.

Not to beat a dead horse but before the BFP I struggled with audio interfaces and latency. For some reason I thought I'd owned mine longer but I guess it was introduced in 2016? That seems longer than that. Like an old friend.

Bye......:roll:
by Lokeyfly on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:07 pm
darrenporter1 wroteWhatever. OP asked for advice... I gave it. I stand by my OPINION. Contrary to the popular "party line" in this forum, you actually do get what you pay for and not all interfaces and plugins are created equally. Like I said... I was once a critic of everything UA for all of the reasons you gave but when I actually did some research and tried it for myself, I discovered all of that was just not true and now I am a proud actual user of their products, which - in my OPINION - are awesome. I never bashed your choice... just saying there are other alternatives that can give you a lot more features for your money.

Are you also forgetting that I also said his Focusrite is a great interface? And I recommended an Audient or RME as well?

Hmm. Well, I probably spent the most money on thinking of an Apollo Quad. Lol. So I meant me. : )

But hey if the shoe fits. You were also up there in some buckaroos. I mean the guy is starting guitar, and you're pulling out Fractal so don't sound too innocent.

I haven't come across any "party line" in this forum. Not sure how you arrive at such things. I mean there's always "some" things we'll plug, or recomend. Right Darren?

As with everyone, some great points made. As you stated, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Me? I just got off the phone with an old band member of mine, so while he was on about buying a new Telle, I told him "I'm really good at opening other people's wallets".

As with any suggestions here, I'd love to put a wager on anyone that could pick one audio interface from another in a recording. No its about reliability, work flow, and yes, at least a relatively good product from the not so good. I'll always stand buy some descent quality, then get on with the right production, Studio technique, acoustically worthwhile room treatment, and good recording and critical mixing decisions, over any equipment to what they need, or dis what they don't need.

Next time, I'll say me, when I mean me. ;)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lokeyfly on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:54 pm
Jay, I think you originally brought up, and posted about tthe Antelope synergy core go some time ago. I meant to thank you about that. It's an awesome choice. I am shopping as well, and that's a very good one to watch for. So "Thank you"!

Will keep you posted.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by kisnou on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:28 pm
Lokeyfly wroteTo the poster....

Audient ID14 MkII and Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy are both great interfaces as well. RME Babyface Pro. A Pod 6 and Ibanez endorsement. ....

I'd say you're getting some good advise here. Care to make a donation? (Joking)

I was only trying to go easy on your wallet, but hey, a UA Apollo is always a good way to go as well. 4 to 6 inputs under $500 isn't going to open the flood gates when it comes to quality preamps. The BFP is a good choice. So is the Zen Go Synergy Core at around $499.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/antelope-audio-zen-go-synergy-core-usb-c-audio-interface/l82349000000000?

The apollo interfaces are great but very expensive, wayy beyond my budget, but thanks!
So far the Discrete 4 by Antelope seems like the best bet. I am just worried about the drivers..

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by jBranam on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:30 pm
nps mate... it was announced i think this past audio show. NAMM i think it was and it took them a while to get them to shelves so i don't expect a sale anytime soon lol but i will be waiting and wanting lol

cheers and you are welcome. i mentioned that new black lion interface not long ago too... both companies are real big on word clocks. so both should be great devices. but for what i do... the onboard DSP gives the antelope the edge. don't need much... just no lag when trying to track :P (10ms can throw me off lol but mostly on guitar... i don't mind a little lag on keys)

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by jBranam on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:38 pm
that is one thing i have been pondering kisnou... the drivers. i have heard a lot about antelope from the mac guys in the past but not a lot of input from the pc end. but to be honest i don't think that is much to fret over. most things are class compliant but with the most of the newer interfaces they come with their own software so i suspect the drivers are spot on with little to no minor hiccups. :)

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Lokeyfly on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:09 pm
kisnou wrote
Lokeyfly wroteTo the poster....

Audient ID14 MkII and Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy are both great interfaces as well. RME Babyface Pro. A Pod 6 and Ibanez endorsement. ....

I'd say you're getting some good advise here. Care to make a donation? (Joking)

I was only trying to go easy on your wallet, but hey, a UA Apollo is always a good way to go as well. 4 to 6 inputs under $500 isn't going to open the flood gates when it comes to quality preamps. The BFP is a good choice. So is the Zen Go Synergy Core at around $499.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/antelope-audio-zen-go-synergy-core-usb-c-audio-interface/l82349000000000?

The apollo interfaces are great but very expensive, wayy beyond my budget, but thanks!
So far the Discrete 4 by Antelope seems like the best bet. I am just worried about the drivers..

Great choice!

@ Jay, the Audient REAL-TIME FPGA FX include BAE, Grove Hill, Gyraf Audio and Lang classics for use in the Easy Panel or in any DAW. Pretty noteworthy brands. I like what I'm reading.

Antelope Zen Go is a great device. The Zen Tour Synergy was a beast for quality, and if the Go is anything close, that's very good. I like it's real time processing as well.
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Jemusic on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:33 pm
The Scarlett 3rd Gen is actually an excellent interface. If you were to do controlled blind tests amongst all the interface mentioned here, no one here or even someone with very skilled ears really would easily be able to pick any of them apart from each other. Fact.

I have been using Scarlett as one of my interfaces and only had perfect performance for many years. If the OP is not getting the best results then maybe they are doing something wrong. Check you have the latest version of Focusrite Control installed.

The main thing that separates them is latency. Not sound so much. Focusrite Clarett is fast and so is PreSonus Quantum.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:03 pm
Jemusic wroteThe Scarlett 3rd Gen is actually an excellent interface. If you were to do controlled blind tests amongst all the interface mentioned here, no one here or even someone with very skilled ears really would easily be able to pick any of them apart from each other. Fact.

I have been using Scarlett as one of my interfaces and only had perfect performance for many years. If the OP is not getting the best results then maybe they are doing something wrong. Check you have the latest version of Focusrite Control installed.

The main thing that separates them is latency. Not sound so much. Focusrite Clarett is fast and so is PreSonus Quantum.

Exactamundo. I got over the "sound" of an interface YEARS ago. It's all drivers and features here. For the longest time I fiddled around and when I finally went for the RME it was after never hearing one negative thing about them.

I don't think the other two were even out when I was looking last, and I like that form factor.

by jBranam on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:10 pm
exactly jeff... no one can hear the differences. i had a scarlett 2i2 1st gen... but i heard the 2nd gen was a lot faster (latency) so i bet the new 3rd gen are even more optimized. quality products

and jim... i was looking at the liverpool (Grove Hill) plugin a few days ago... interesting. as for BAE it is a pretty good company... i have wanted their 1173 combo for a while... it's hardware... basically a 1073 preamp with a 1176 comp. i don't do enough to start gathering hardware or justifying the cost lol but i know of the company. :)

cheers

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by sirmonkey on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 pm
For the guitar, have a look at this: https://bitwoodguitars.com/shop/ols/products/epic-35
I have a guitar from this company, a Telecater. Amazing quality for the money.
The owner is a member of the community, screen name R.S. Cain.
Others in the forum also have gotten guitars from him- they will attest that the value
is superb.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by jBranam on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:24 pm
well it ain't the interface per se but the convertors DO sound different between all the interfaces... thing is...again... this is subjective and based on preference. no one will point one specific out but if the same piece is played across them all the differences in playback is apparent to practically anyone. to me the foundation of any interface is the end product and that is in the conversions.

as for the different preamps used they are ALL sufficient imo and the differences are not perceivable so it is all about features pretty much

i mainly just mix so native plugs are fine for me for 90% of the time but i would like some effects going in even if i don't print them :) again i hate recording real time dry :?

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by jBranam on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:32 pm
and before someone thinks i contradicted myself... if you listen to just one or two or even seven separately no one can spot the differences. our ears ain't that good... but if you sit down with 3-4 interfaces and run audio in then convert them and play them back side by side you WILL hear the differences. hope that clears that up and can follow what i am saying :) cheers

p.s. but that is REALLY splitting hairs lol

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Jemusic on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:44 pm
I have been in a situation where the same piece of music was played out over 8 or so different interfaces and it was very hard to tell any of them apart.

Also I have been in a studio where a high quality microphone was fed into a very high quality mic splitter and the same performance was recorded into 6 or so interfaces and the playback was also impossible to tell them apart too so sometimes it is not always that easy to pick the differences.

I think it just goes to show how great they all are today in fact and the differences overall are way less than they were say in the 90's and 2000's.

I do like RME stuff though for sure. I have had HDSP9632 as my PCI interface for years and its been rock solid, its fast and just sounds great. But so is the Clarett over thunderbolt real nice as well. Many cheaper 2 channel interfaces are excellent these days too.

About guitars how about one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g

I love this guy!

I know Frank Gambale as a personal friend and I have seen him play a $100 strat copy and a $10,000 guitar and there was virtually no difference as to how far our jaws dropped to the ground! I am not a guitarist so I am not expert in this area but I can imagine guitars would be pretty good these days too. Guitars are personal I guess so its down to the design, features and feel of the instrument. I don't know how guitarists buy guitars on line though, it might be a bit like shoes. Maybe you are better off going into the shop and playing them.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:48 pm
I remember back in the day, this "black lion" company claimed they would update your audio unit. They would post examples. I couldn't tell the difference.

Same with pres. It's true that you can use pres differently with analog. But I digress...........

by Jemusic on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 pm
At the school I teach they have a Focusrite Clarett 8 which works over thunderbolt. It has 8 very nice Mic Pres. We also have two Behringer ADA8200 preamps which have 8 (Midas now) Mic Pres and connect via ADAT to the Clarett. I have done some pretty exhaustive tests comparing the pres in the Behringer and the Clarett and it is really hard to tell them apart too.

One of the Black Lion Behringer mods was to the original ADA8000 Mic pre but the ADA8200 has totally surpassed that mod as well now. Its cheap too but just sounds stellar.

51 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3