51 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
Hello guys,

I would like to purchase a semiacoustic Ibanez AS53-TBF guitar, it's a quite cheap one to start training and learn how to play it.
I used to play guitar many years ago but it was just a classic guitar and back then I didn't even know what an audio interface was. Now, I would like to record it properly, but I have no space for an amp right now in my room.

I was talking to a couple of friends and some of them recommended purchasing a DSP audio interface. I am pretty new to these DSP interfaces (and the whole guitar world) and the information I found online isn't really clear.

Can you explain in a simple way why do I need a DSP audio interface and maybe recommend some interfaces that I could purchase? Price is not a problem but anything under 1,500$ would be great. I currently own a 18i20 3rd gen Scarlett.
Note that I already had in mind to change my audio interface.

I would like to stay away from Focusrite and purchase something with less ins/outs (4 inputs would be perfect for my synth, mic and guitar, but 6 inputs wouldn't be bad as well) and better quality drivers, possibly something that works smoothly without causing too many problems.

I am a pianist and synth enthusiast, music is my full time job. Even if this guitar world is pretty new to me, I want to get going quite quickly.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by garyshepherd on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:22 am
Depends on your budget - you don't need a DSP Audio Interface if you use Studio One 5.2 - Ampire is a good amp sim. If your current interface has inputs for guitar that would work fine with a normal jack to jack lead.

There are expensive makes of interface with DSP - why don't you just try the guitar with S1 and Ampire to see if you take to it? Then later you can upgrade if you feel the need.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by kisnou on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:25 am
garyshepherd wroteDepends on your budget - you don't need a DSP Audio Interface if you use Studio One 5.2 - Ampire is a good amp sim. If your current interface has inputs for guitar that would work fine with a normal jack to jack lead.

There are expensive makes of interface with DSP - why don't you just try the guitar with S1 and Ampire to see if you take to it? Then later you can upgrade if you feel the need.

Yes for sure I will try Ampire first. I just thought that I could get a better audio interface since I already wanted to change it, but I'm not going to rush it :)
Thanks for the help!

https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by Lokeyfly on Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 am
Hi Kisnou and welcome. Nice looking guitar!

Sure, a quality audio interface will certainly help you on your road to recording, and enjoying your new found love for playing the guitar. You're taking on a lot, but since you have made a career in music, you'll know that the guitar is going to absorb a lot of your time but if you're serious about learning it, the road is a fantastic one.

For a 6 input interface the 68C looks very good. You can't do much better than Presonus' XMAX preamps for the money. I stand by that. Just price compare what you would get it for in Italy.
 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Studio68C--presonus-studio-68c-usb-c-audio-interface

Best of luck to you! Salute!
James

P.s. You likely won't have to worry about a lot of inputs unless you plan on having sessions containing other musicians playing at the same time, so a 2 input interface would be fine. Assuming you do want 4 or 6 inputs though, don't dismiss Focusrite. They are one of the better, cleaner audio interfaces, along with Presonus audio interfaces. Presonus XMAX are very clean, quality preamps (important)  and won't hold you back.

If I were starting out, I'd take a serious look at the Presonus IO Station which contains a motorised fader, and some very useful switching, but that might be more than you're expecting. I only bring it up because it would save you money as your needs might grow. However, it's 2 in (though again, that's no limitation if you're tracking yourself and another person at the same time).
 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ioStation24C--presonus-iostation-24c-2x2-usb-c-audio-interface-and-production-controller

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Morticia on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:48 am
I would like to purchase a semiacoustic Ibanez AS53-TBF guitar, it's a quite cheap one to start training and learn how to play it.

Like you I am a pianist, but guitar is my third instrument.
I can highly recommend the Ibanez Artcore semis.

I have the AM53 which is similar to the AS53 but has a smaller body.
They are great guitars with a nice tone. Even the stock ceramic humbuckers sound good too.
For entry level budget instruments they are excellent quality and value for money.

I use an old Line 6 POD 2 straight into my Roland interface to record with. It gives me all the tones (especially the Marshall JTM 30 and Fender Bassman emulations) and effects I need.
You can pick them up for a song on E-Bay

You could also see how you get on with just your existing Focusrite interface and VST effects to begin with, then if your computer can cope with it, you might not need a DSP interface ...
Last edited by Morticia on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

AMD Phenom quad core | 8 GB RAM | Roland UA-25 EX audio interface | Radeon HD 2400 Pro | Win 8.1 x64 | Studio One Pro v3.5.6 x64

"The queen of spades is a friend of mine, the queen of hearts is a bitch
someday when I clean up my mind, I'll find out which is which"
Gram Parsons
by garyshepherd on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:53 am
If we are talking interfaces, I am a fan of the Audient ID14 - and the Mark 2 version of this looks even better.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by Tacman7 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:12 am
Only thing that's tempted me lately is this:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... -interface?

USB and thunderbolt so whenever windows computers get a thunderbolt port it would be ready.

Has a lot of onboard DSP, plus a reputation for quality.

The more I read the more I liked it.

There were some used deals where you got more plugins that looked better than buying new.

Almost bought one for $650 used with 39 plugins I think it was. Didn't want to sleep out in the dog house though...

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by garybowling on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:36 am
I would go with an RME BabyFace for an interface. It doesn't get any better than RME for drivers and support. The BF is a very portable unit and also has fiber ports for ADAT, so in the future if you want to upgrade to more ins/outs you can just add an ADAT connected preamp.

It's a good question though. Many of the newer guitar FX boxes can be connected as an interface and many of the interfaces now come with DSP.

From what I see most of the DSP that is available in the interfaces are more generic recording things, compressors, eq, etc. and not really guitar FX like amp models, etc. To me, I would prefer to go with VST plugins in the DAW for the generic things.

The guitar FX boxes that can double as an interface I would be skeptical of. Getting good drivers and clean operation with S1 is paramount for a good experience.

So I would be more inclined to go with a dedicated recording interface and I would prioritize good drivers and good sound.

Just my 2 cents.

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by kisnou on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:34 am
Tacman7 wroteOnly thing that's tempted me lately is this:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... -interface?

USB and thunderbolt so whenever windows computers get a thunderbolt port it would be ready.

Has a lot of onboard DSP, plus a reputation for quality.

The more I read the more I liked it.

There were some used deals where you got more plugins that looked better than buying new.

Almost bought one for $650 used with 39 plugins I think it was. Didn't want to sleep out in the dog house though...

I love the Antelope, the only thing is that I've heard from a few friends (windows users) that the drivers are horrible, but it sounds really good.

Studio One Pro 6
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by Tacman7 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:39 am
The thing that actually stopped me from pulling the trigger on the used one was this:

The DSP can only be used live going into the interface, can't process plugins inside the DAW.

Well you can actually but you need a mac or thunderbolt or something, regular usb don't work.

You could run your tracks out and back again to process them but I'd hate to buy into a deal like that.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:05 am
garybowling wroteI would go with an RME BabyFace for an interface. It doesn't get any better than RME for drivers and support. The BF is a very portable unit and also has fiber ports for ADAT, so in the future if you want to upgrade to more ins/outs you can just add an ADAT connected preamp.

It's a good question though. Many of the newer guitar FX boxes can be connected as an interface and many of the interfaces now come with DSP.

From what I see most of the DSP that is available in the interfaces are more generic recording things, compressors, eq, etc. and not really guitar FX like amp models, etc. To me, I would prefer to go with VST plugins in the DAW for the generic things.

The guitar FX boxes that can double as an interface I would be skeptical of. Getting good drivers and clean operation with S1 is paramount for a good experience.

So I would be more inclined to go with a dedicated recording interface and I would prioritize good drivers and good sound.

Just my 2 cents.

gabo

Sound advice, my BFP has been terrific for years and years. But it's limited on inputs compared to what the OP has. One thing about RME is support is on provided by the retail seller in the USA. I don't know about other countries so if US, best to buy from someone like Sweetwater where they will back it up. Oh and they are expensive.

Bye......:roll:
by garybowling on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:01 am
reggie1979beatz wroteSound advice, my BFP has been terrific for years and years. But it's limited on inputs compared to what the OP has. One thing about RME is support is on provided by the retail seller in the USA. I don't know about other countries so if US, best to buy from someone like Sweetwater where they will back it up. Oh and they are expensive.

Yes, but the OP said he wanted fewer inputs and even listed 4 as what he wanted, which is what the BF has. He also listed a budget that is more than the cost of the BF.

As for support, RME is a German company and support in the EU is excellent.

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:38 am
I see. Well, I love mine :)

Bye......:roll:
by Lokeyfly on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:39 pm
To the poster....

Audient ID14 MkII and Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy are both great interfaces as well. RME Babyface Pro. A Pod 6 and Ibanez endorsement. ....

I'd say you're getting some good advise here. Care to make a donation? (Joking)

I was only trying to go easy on your wallet, but hey, a UA Apollo is always a good way to go as well. 4 to 6 inputs under $500 isn't going to open the flood gates when it comes to quality preamps. The BFP is a good choice. So is the Zen Go Synergy Core at around $499.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/antelope-audio-zen-go-synergy-core-usb-c-audio-interface/l82349000000000?

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by darrenporter1 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 pm
If you want a top-quality DSP interface that allows for top-quality amp sims (and other top-quality plugins) then look no further than a UA Apollo. No latency ... that's what you get with UA's DSP interface... no latency while tracking at ANY point in the recording process no matter how far along you are in your mix... plus the gold-standard in plugins.

If that's beyond your reach or doesn't float your boat, then I heartily 2nd the suggestion to go with an Audient of some sort, but you won't get any DSP with that. My 2nd interface is an Audient iD44 and it is a step-up in quality from your Scarlett. Really really good stuff from Audient. The RME mentioned is great too. Quite honestly, the 3rd-gen Scarlett is a nice interface. Going with anything from PreSonus is a step sideways at best.

Ampire? yuck. I get that everyone's "favorite" anything is totally subjective, but seriously... Ampire does NOT get talked about outside of these forums as a viable amp sim. It will absolutely get you going as you learn but you can do way better if you decide you want/need to. Amp sims that get most of the attention... S-Gear, Amplitube, Universal Audio, there are others that escape me now.... but those are a few of the biggies.

--- sorry I just saw you have no room for an amp... get a hardware floor-based something then... Line 6, Fractal, Headrush, BOSS, etc... lots of good choices here too -- so you can ignore the next paragraph about amps if you wish... lol...

However I highly suggest you get an actual amp like the Fender GT modelling lineup or a BOSS Katana - or one of my personal favorite "plug and play amps" find a used Fender Mustang I for under $100. They will do everything you will ever want/need to do and allow you to also easily record when/if you want to and if you ever get to the point where you want to play live with other musicians they will be more than up for the job. When you are learning guitar there is a LOT to be said for never putting your guitar in its case... always leave it out on a stand ready to be picked-up and played - even if its only for a five or ten minute session - with the amp's built-in speaker or silently with headphones - something you can't do if you have to start-up your DAW system every time you wanted to play your guitar. Just plug in, optionally twist a dial/push a button to quickly choose a preset, and play. When you are done, put it back on the stand, turn off the amp and move on to what's next for the day.

That's my take on it anyways. We live in a golden age of gear right now... lots of options and sometimes easy to get lost in all of the choices.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by darrenporter1 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:58 pm
I should have mentioned that if you want the Universal Audio quality amp sims but don't want to invest in UA hardware then you can get most of their amp sim plugins from either Brainworx (Plugin Alliance) or from Softube as "native" plugins.

by jBranam on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:01 pm
yeah i KEEP looking at the antelope synergy core go... talk myself out of spending the money... then i am back to looking at it again lol it is a vicious cycle... but i want a good interface with some decent DSP onboard for tracking vocals and guitars. i HATE dry sound when i am trying to get into the 'feeling' if you follow me. it makes me sound like i am wearing 'plaids and stripes' lol

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by darrenporter1 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:13 pm
jBranam wroteyeah i KEEP looking at the antelope synergy core go... talk myself out of spending the money... then i am back to looking at it again lol it is a vicious cycle... but i want a good interface with some decent DSP onboard for tracking vocals and guitars. i HATE dry sound when i am trying to get into the 'feeling' if you follow me. it makes me sound like i am wearing 'plaids and stripes' lol

Drink the Kool-Aid and get an Apollo. I was a skeptic... critic even... and now I get it... I totally get it... and you will have to pry my UA gear from my cold, dead hands to get it away from me.

Why settle for a "good interface with some decent DSP onboard" when you can have a high-end interface with industry-standard DSP plugins for really not much more money?

by Lokeyfly on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:11 pm
....and we've got just the right blow hards that can spend that $500 for you too!. ;)

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by jBranam on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:33 am
lol jim...

what i meant by 'decent' is what comes with the interface and NOT the quality of the plugs imo pretty much ALL plugs these days (by reputable companies) are pretty stellar comparatively to the past. sad part is... some companies imo think too highly of themselves and their product and charge way too much for their devices AND/OR accompanying software. cheers :)

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯

51 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3