13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Please PreSonus. Give us automation capabilities with projects. How can I do EQ pushes or automate compression in a master with no automation lanes?

Mac Studio M1 Ultra running Ventura
RME MADIFACE PRO > FERROFISH A32 PRO AD/DA. FOCAL TWIN 6be MONITORS, GRACE M905 CONTROLLER, MANLEY, IGS, UA Audio, PULTEC, MAAG, WES AUDIO, NEVE, HERITAGE AUDIO, BETTERMAKER, Yada yada
by robertgray3 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:08 pm
Yes, the two things keeping me (and the two mastering engineers I know who use Studio One) from using the Project Page for mastering is:

a) lack of automation

b) lack of Transform - you can Bounce hardware moves through Pipeline but if you make adjustments to other items after bouncing you have to undo everything sequentially to get to a pre-Bounced state. Transforming is necessary.

You can vote for it here.

https://answers.presonus.com/35563/fade ... 563#q35563

and here:

https://answers.presonus.com/30562/free ... oject-mode

I think a) will get done eventually due to the vote count but I'm not holding my breath for b).

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by johnboyd4 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:57 pm
It makes zero sense to not be able to automate while mastering.

robertgray3 wroteYes, the two things keeping me (and the two mastering engineers I know who use Studio One) from using the Project Page for mastering is:

a) lack of automation

b) lack of Transform - you can Bounce hardware moves through Pipeline but if you make adjustments to other items after bouncing you have to undo everything sequentially to get to a pre-Bounced state. Transforming is necessary.

You can vote for it here.

https://answers.presonus.com/35563/fade ... 563#q35563

and here:

https://answers.presonus.com/30562/free ... oject-mode

I think a) will get done eventually due to the vote count but I'm not holding my breath for b).

Mac Studio M1 Ultra running Ventura
RME MADIFACE PRO > FERROFISH A32 PRO AD/DA. FOCAL TWIN 6be MONITORS, GRACE M905 CONTROLLER, MANLEY, IGS, UA Audio, PULTEC, MAAG, WES AUDIO, NEVE, HERITAGE AUDIO, BETTERMAKER, Yada yada
by robertgray3 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:13 pm
johnboyd4 wroteIt makes zero sense to not be able to automate while mastering.

No, it doesn't, but the Project Page isn't the most popular feature. I think part of it is the fact that any features it lacks can be overcome by simply working in the Song Page.

Hopefully they add it at some point.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by graytermedia on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:13 am
Another reason I've been opening S1 less and less these days and sticking with Pro Tools - my professional dance partner for years. I really do love the workflow aspects of S1, but the feature set, or lack there of, keeps my Avid subscription active. There are issues there too, but it's the devil I know when my clients and my paycheck depend on it.

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by gregghart on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:21 am
I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't do that stuff in your main mix, rather than the mastering?

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by webhamster on Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:22 pm
Yes, automation in projects would be very helpful!

S1 6.5.1 - MacOs 13.6.2 MacBook 14" M1 max - interface: Quantum 2
by robertgray3 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:36 pm
gregghart wroteI guess I don't understand why you wouldn't do that stuff in your main mix, rather than the mastering?

Let’s say the first verse has no drums. The second verse through the outro does. You notice the side channel could use a little EQ, after the first few inserts, and only once the drums are in and not before that point.

Or adjusting the input gain of the limiter in a specific part of the song.

There is no way to do that in the Project Page and it is not an uncommon practice.

I know a few mastering engineers who use Studio One and they don’t use the Project Page- this is one of the reasons.

Also keep in mind they are generally receiving a two track Mixdown from another mixer.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by GMHague on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:07 pm
robertgray3 wrote
gregghart wroteI guess I don't understand why you wouldn't do that stuff in your main mix, rather than the mastering?

Let’s say the first verse has no drums. The second verse through the outro does. You notice the side channel could use a little EQ, after the first few inserts, and only once the drums are in and not before that point.

Or adjusting the input gain of the limiter in a specific part of the song.

There is no way to do that in the Project Page and it is not an uncommon practice.

I know a few mastering engineers who use Studio One and they don’t use the Project Page- this is one of the reasons.

Also keep in mind they are generally receiving a two track Mixdown from another mixer.

I'm curious, not arguing ... couldn't you do the above by automating plugins inserted over the Main Outs in the Song page?
I'll cite Steven Wilson, who tries to avoid using mastering altogether because he says (mind you, he's often misquoted) that you should be achieving the "sound" you're looking for in the mixdown process, and that anything needed in a mastering process perhaps only highlights something the mixdown is lacking.
Having said that (me, I mean) I think the Project page is great for creating a consistency across all the tracks of an album, plus without doubt there are always aspects of a mix that aren't apparent until you get the opportunity to compare songs on the one Project Page. A tweak here and there is almost unavoidable. And the facility to publish your songs across a variety of formats from one Page too is brilliant. And having said all THAT I reckon automation in the Project Page wouldn't hurt...

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver
by Jemusic on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:17 pm
Mixing and mastering are two different things and they need to be done at two different times. You cannot achieve in mixing what you can in mastering. I don't agree with Steve Wilson at all. It is not a good idea to add mastering plugins either to a mix at the time of the mix. If you are mastering your own mixes I prefer to leave time between the two processes. I usually create fully unmastered or premastered mixdowns first then master them a week later. In that week too its great to listen to your mix in many environments and you will pick up all sorts of little niggly things that are easily corrected in the mix.

I do a lot of professional mastering and get well paid for it too. I do it all in the song page. Its a good place currently to do it. You can setup a bunch of tracks and have each tune of an album on each track (at the right time line position as well) with its own mastering plugins. Plugin chains can be saved and applied to other tracks easily and then tweaked for each track. Its possible to jump around the tracks with markers and compare them all very easily for tone and level. Song page allows for all the features to be applied for each track. Automation etc.

I just export each track separately and then make the audio CD in Nero etc.. Here in Australia the CD duplicators require a master audio CD. You should also make this master audio CD on a master grade blank (around $5 each, not a 30 cent blank!!!, there is a very big difference) at a slow speed too. Or of course you can export each track directly and ready for a music streaming site etc..

You can master very well now in Studio One.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by robertgray3 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 pm
Jemusic wroteI do a lot of professional mastering and get well paid for it too. I do it all in the song page.

Yeah. A lot of crucial mastering features are only in the Song page.

GMHague wrotecouldn't you do the above by automating plugins inserted over the Main Outs in the Song page?

True, it is the only place you can do that. I am currently using the Song page. So is Jemusic. So is my mastering engineer. So are their peers who use Studio One.

The sole stated purpose of the Project Page is mastering and I love the idea of it, especially with the mix updates, the insert chain setup, and the metering setup. It's great in theory and I use it as much as I can. However, if they want the Project page to be truly optimized for mastering, there are some missing features and it appears that you both see the benefit as well.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by garybowling on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 am
Jemusic wroteMixing and mastering are two different things and they need to be done at two different times. You cannot achieve in mixing what you can in mastering. I don't agree with Steve Wilson at all. It is not a good idea to add mastering plugins either to a mix at the time of the mix. If you are mastering your own mixes I prefer to leave time between the two processes. I usually create fully unmastered or premastered mixdowns first then master them a week later. In that week too its great to listen to your mix in many environments and you will pick up all sorts of little niggly things that are easily corrected in the mix.

I do a lot of professional mastering and get well paid for it too. I do it all in the song page. Its a good place currently to do it. You can setup a bunch of tracks and have each tune of an album on each track (at the right time line position as well) with its own mastering plugins. Plugin chains can be saved and applied to other tracks easily and then tweaked for each track. Its possible to jump around the tracks with markers and compare them all very easily for tone and level. Song page allows for all the features to be applied for each track. Automation etc.

I just export each track separately and then make the audio CD in Nero etc.. Here in Australia the CD duplicators require a master audio CD. You should also make this master audio CD on a master grade blank (around $5 each, not a 30 cent blank!!!, there is a very big difference) at a slow speed too. Or of course you can export each track directly and ready for a music streaming site etc..

All very true, but a little ironic. You're basically pointing out that you DON'T use S1's project page for mastering and instead use S1's song page for mastering for the exact reasons this thread was about.

i.e., you can't do what you need to do in the project page!

Seems if they are going to promote the project page for mastering, then it needs fixing so you can actually do what you need to do to master :)

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by gregghart on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:51 am
I get what you are guys are looking for now. Makes sense, however, a thread isn't the place to make this kind of request. Presonus rarely looks through these forums. However, you can always make a feature request. https://answers.presonus.com/

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com

13 posts
Page 1 of 1