6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just bought the Midi-Fighter in order to control the EQ in Studio One. I was also able to link the rotary controls on the device to the rotary controls in Pro-EQ. However, I am not able to set up "Shift Encoder Hold" for my purposes.

I would like to configure this midi controller in such a way that I control the frequency with a rotary control, and if I hold it down, the EQ-level should be controlled with the same rotary control. Unfortunately, Studio One behaves very weird when I activate the "Midi Learn" function in the edit area of the device. When I press the rotary control on the device, a second controller appears in Studio One, which is interpreted as an on / off button, and I have no way of controlling different controllers with one rotary control.

What am I doing wrong?

Windows 10 64bit, Studio One Pro 6.2.1, Native Instruments Reaktor, Midi Fighter Twister, Presonus Audiobox One.
by Tacman7 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:58 am
Did you get it working?

Only thing I was thinking is if you record the midi that your device puts out you might be able to use that information to setup controls with the shift key. Just something I would try.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by robertgray3 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:36 am
EDIT: Will likely not require Bome Midi Translator, did not realize MF Twister had a config utility.

The reason is that controller appears to only be a single rotary control and an on off switch. It does not send separate controls based on the push state. Which means the receiving program will need to apply logic to come up with two separate knob controllers from one rotary encoder and a push switch.
Last edited by robertgray3 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Funkybot on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:46 am
richardlederer1 wroteI just bought the Midi-Fighter in order to control the EQ in Studio One. I was also able to link the rotary controls on the device to the rotary controls in Pro-EQ. However, I am not able to set up "Shift Encoder Hold" for my purposes.

I would like to configure this midi controller in such a way that I control the frequency with a rotary control, and if I hold it down, the EQ-level should be controlled with the same rotary control. Unfortunately, Studio One behaves very weird when I activate the "Midi Learn" function in the edit area of the device. When I press the rotary control on the device, a second controller appears in Studio One, which is interpreted as an on / off button, and I have no way of controlling different controllers with one rotary control.

What am I doing wrong?

Could be a few things:

1. How is your Twister configured in the MFTwister Utility? It sounds like you want the Push+Turn to transmit a different MIDI CC. To do that you have to enable "Shift+Encoder Hold" on the device for the Switch Action Type of each encoder. This is done via the MF Utility.

2. Then in Studio One you'd have to Learn all the encoders regular style.

3. You'd have to also Learn the press actions (which we don't want to actually map to anything and can ignore).

4. You'd have to map the Shift+Encoders also.

5. Then you can just map them to effects like anything else.

Can someone remind me where Device Profiles get stored locally? I made one for the MF Twister that included the hack to get MIDI Feedback working on the encoders. I'd be happy to share, just can't locate it at the moment.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by richardlederer1 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:51 pm
Thanks for the answers. In the meantime I was able to solve the problem, but I forgot to post the solution here. In order to use my knobs with "Shift Encoder Hold" for Studio One, I had to change something in the channels / numbers. I have set the same "Switch MIDI Number" channel to 100 for all these hold/controls (to "deactivate" them, so to speak, because the push information on a hold control is of no interest to me and is just disturbing), and changed the "Encoder MIDI Channel" value from 1 to 2. Now a second controller appears in Studio One when I turn the rotary control while it is pressed, which I can then assign separately. I have no idea if I am to it in the way its meant to be, but now everything works fine.

Windows 10 64bit, Studio One Pro 6.2.1, Native Instruments Reaktor, Midi Fighter Twister, Presonus Audiobox One.
by richardlederer1 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:54 pm
Well, there is actually still a small problem which i think is rather a bug of Midi Twister, and which i already posted in the Dj-Tech Forum but maybe some of you have an answer to it. This is what i wrote there:

I bought the Midi Fighter Twister so that I can control the Studio One EQs with it and I am very satisfied so far. Unfortunately there is a small problem with the display of the on / off lights.

I have configured some of my rotary controls so that I can switch the band of an EQ on and off with one click, while I control the frequency with the same rotary movement. And it works perfectly - I can control all parameters and also get the correct feedback sent back to the midi fighter when I switch through the tracks.

However, there is a minor display issue. If I switch to a track that has my desired frequency band switched on, and therefore I see the light on the corresponding rotary controller, nothing changes when I press this rotary control. The frequency-band is switched on / off in Studio One, but the light remains on.

But if I turn of this frequency band, switch to another channel and then back again, I see this frequency band correctly again, i.e. not illuminated. After that, strangely enough, I can use the dial correctly. When I press it it lights up, when I press it again it stops glowing.

I can also turn of the light on Midi-Fighter if i turn off the frequency-band in Studio One. After that the Midi-Fighter LED work as expected until i reload the song.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1