37 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I thought this might be fun and informative at the same time. Studio One is highly diverse and does a bunch of stuff, some of which none of us use at all.

For example, I have almost no need for the chord track. To me, it serves no purpose other than to clutter up the arranger. I've tried to figure it out better and take advantage of it, but to no avail.

However the arranger track can be quite useful, though markers would suffice.

To me the little things make my workflow best, like "monitor/rec follows track" probably because I work alone. Also drag drop into many tracks at once for fx or sends. Reaper does this but I hate using Reaper :lol: And for now I'll just mention that doing multiple outputs in Studio One is the best implementation I've personally ever used.

Clean, elegant and effective I've got my setup. What are your unused or must have features?

Bye......:roll:
by ianaeillo on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:21 pm
This is going to sound dumb, but I’ve always hated post-fader metering in my mix window while setting up large mixes and integrating outboard gear. I do, however, like using it while finishing up a mix. I love that they added a ctrl click option to select pre-fader if / when I need it.

In an attempt to get away from from patchbay mods, I picked up a few DP88s for cheap and love how I can just set a preset in Pipeline for my outboard gear. Makes it super insanely easy and I love it so much and for me it is rock solid.

I don’t use the free VU meter plugin as I severely dislike the form factor and hope Presonus ups their metering options in the next update.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by Vocalpoint on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:20 am
reggie1979beatz wroteWhat are your unused or must have features?

Unused? The entire "Show" area. I wish we had an option to turn it off completely.

Must have? I would pay money to have Studio One work correctly with iZotope RX where I could take S1 timeline audio, send it to RX and process it and then have the material returned automatically to S1 (all via the RX Connect plugin) - like the rest of the normal folks who use Pro Tools, Cubase, Nuendo do.

Must have? Make the paid Batch Processor a bit more useful by allowing "templates" per batch job. I love the BP capabilities but really need more flexibility to allow options to rename files and where they might be stored PER situation. Sometimes I need to batch voiceover files over here (Specific naming and production file/folder structure) and other times I need to send stuff over there (different naming and different file folder structure.)

Right now with only one basic output folder and very "manual" file renaming capability - the BP is more work than it's worth - especially when having to manually name everything and move everything around after every batch session.

My use of S1 is dialog/voiceover (80%) followed by music production (20%)

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by leosutherland on Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:46 am
I don't use the Chord Track either because I prefer to construct mine own chords - well, such as they are. I think the main issue is that it is really clunky to use, I think you should be able to to drag a selection or event onto the CT, tart around with things, and just press a button to return the tarted-around-with stuff back to where it came from (probably replacing the original, or putting to another layer, or to an event in same position on new track, etc, etc)) - then maybe I'd use

But remember, I'm on 4.6.2, it may be different on 5.2.

Also Scratchpads - don't see a need for them, and I don't think they ever worked properly.

But there's so much in S1 I know nothing about, so there may be other stuff I wouldn't use.

On a plus note, the thing I really do use is the Arranger.

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:24 am
I also don't use scratchpad. I have not figured a use for it.

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:35 pm
Vocalpoint wroteUnused? The entire "Show" area. I wish we had an option to turn it off completely.

I can understand why it's there but I don't perform live and can't see any use for it beyond that.

by Vocalpoint on Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:03 pm
reggie1979beatz wrote
Vocalpoint wroteI can understand why it's there but I don't perform live and can't see any use for it beyond that.

Well - we are still in the greatest pandemic of our times. There are no live shows or even potential for them for at least another 6-12 months. (or longer the way this third wave is going lately - at least here in Canada).

I did not understand the need to release this "show" piece in any form until "live" shows are a real "thing" again but even then - would someone actually take Studio One into a packed arena and use it in front of real people in a live situation?

That's just a bit too trusting in my books :)

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by sirmonkey on Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:00 pm
I love the Chord Track. I use Scaler2 to construct midi chord progressions.
I run the Scaler midi through a keyboard or synth (or whatever), and then
compose and play guitar and bass. The chord track is awesome for that,
especially for those who are very light on theory, and don't read notation.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by peterbirch on Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:28 pm
I too do not use the SHOW page and would like an option to get rid of it. Give it to Sphere users.
I do like the chord track. 1) as a visual aid when recording 2) import an MP3 track extract the chords and put up to the chord track 3) Playing single note bass lines (not a bass player) and the applying the chords to that track.

but the best thing I think in the last 18 months that I really appreciate and thoroughly enjoy using, oh wait it is not Presonus, is the colorbar by Lawrence and Friends. It is funny how the simple things really please.

Studio One 5.5.2 - studio 192, - 1818VSL, - Digimax FS, Presonus HP4 x2 Presonus Notion 6,
Win 10 pro -- I7cpu 16gb. and Z590 Vision D 32GB & 11700
UAD Octo card UAD Apollo Twin USB and Apollo x4
Faderport 8, Faderport classic. Atom SQ
by risotto on Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:46 am
leosutherland wroteAlso Scratchpads - don't see a need for them, and I don't think they ever worked properly.

That's not right in my opinion, Scratchpads had a bad start when they crashed in the early times, but they are stable right now and work as they should. Could need some love from the development side but beside from that it does what it does. :) Took me some time but now I use them frequently for several different things.

S1Pro V5 (always on latest release) + S1Pro V4 for older projects. Win10 64bit - Intel i7 6700k - 32gig RAM - MSI z170 Board - SSDs - NVIDIA graphics - no32bitanymore
by Lokeyfly on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:37 am
Studio One items I've found very useful:
Clip Gain envelopes = Huge.

Mixer Snapshots- if I look blue in the face, it's from asking for this too often. It's implemented well!

5.2 Guitar tablature notation. - hey, it's a start.

Ampire - Amp models are now pretty useful. The pedal effects I'm sorry to say are useless. I don't use Ampire, but recently have been jointly using it in the splitter, as an amp modeller with my outboard effects. Useful.

Sample One - while not new, its now better implemented and auto sampling is a breeze. I had never used Sample One until v4.5. I saw a video from Russ from Studio One Expert sample some bass guitar notes. So I grabbed my 68' Fender Precision bass and sampled a few octaves of each note at 20 seconds long. Throw a noise gate on to end the sample, it automatically waits to sample the next note. It's so amazing to have that on tap. Very nice, and very quick to do.

The Arrangement track is a blessing. Well implemented, and direct. Makes song construction a breeze.

Splitter = another huge. It's also huge. Did I mention, huge? Particularly the frequency cross over option. I want to know who's responsible for that.

Open Air - Few realize just how good studio One's convolution reverb is.

Project page- Not only is it smartly laid out, the competition hasn't caughed up their own yet. It would probably be too weighty if they had. It's by far One of Studio One's knock out punches.

Key switches - I never found sharing the piano roll with key switch notes very useful, mainly due to starting from different locations and having key switches play incorrectly. One would have to immediately convert the track to audio just to not have to noodle with wrong articulations. That's all changed now with the new keyswitch lane. I'm already finding this feature useful.

Lastly, mostly everything in Studio One is making good headway and better workflow. Gain knob on each channel, Melodyne ARA integration, transient detector, Undo, and the directness of the interface, Rewire, etc. is all excellent.

Studio One, the not so useful for me :
Scratch pad  - it's not fully realized. My scratch pad, remains behind the song. It's just more reliable there until I delete those parts. That's all the scratch pad is anyway (only for reasons I can't fathom, works a bit incorrectly,  such as rendering to audio there, where trails reside).

Some poorly done effects DSP. For example, the Chorus effect is just bland. Like the Ampire effects, the dynamic range and quality is sadly lacking. Same holds true for the phase effect. The fact is, most other DAW's are guilty of the same bundled poor quality DSP nonsense. Fortunately the Pro EQ is a rather good bundled and purposeful equalizer, as are the compressors, and limiter towards quality.

The Arpegiator- Shall I laugh now or later? Somebody  needs a good sit down on how they handled that mess. Its toddler stuff. The rotator is pretty stinky as well. Fortunately, there are amazing 3rd party alternatives. Presonus here need to recognize "good enough" from actual quality usage. Add features that matter, and stimulate the senses. Not poorly developed catch up devices.

Chord track - .It's fun but largely useless. Notes entering into another chord region simply create a bad guess. If you bow to it, with simple triads, and chopped note lengths, it's somewhat useful and maybe even produces some creative chord alternatives you wouldn't have ventured in. Let's give it a "work in progress" for now.

Pattern Grid - Let's be fair and call it a work in progress. Too much to describe here. Do I use it? Heck yeah. Do I like it's implantation? Not really.

Never realized:
Sadly, Studio One has never realized a reverse "skip" loop. Something so painfully easy, and implemented since sequencers from the 80's, Studio One still can't muster the loop to skip forward by moving the left (loop start) past the right (loop end) thereby causing a jump. Such an easy way to even accidently come by great musical transitions.

Conclusion: While there's some critique here, I am thankful for Studio One on a whole. It's solid, mostly quick to get good creative results. Limited by only the imagination.  It's elegant, with not being bombarded with menus, and convoluted fields. In essence, if you can't get it done in Studio One, chances are you can't get it done, period.

The Show page is quite smart for performance use. I don't use it, but for performing artists, it's pretty gold with tablet use. Don't use it?. Just ignore it. It's not weighty, or even in the way. I can just see if Studio One charged for it as an add-on, well wishers would moan "couldn't you just add it to the program if we want to fiddle with it?". Well they did, and you can. ;)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by kisnou on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 am
Not so useful features

Smart Tool: Personally there hasn't been a single time I have used it since it has been implemented. I almost never work as those very high zoom levels and most of the time it just gets in the way doing actions on its own just because apparently I clicked in a veeery small area when I just wanted to move the note.
This actually just makes another reason for me to avoid working with MIDI at higher zoom levels.

It's a cool idea, don't get me wrong, but I don't really like it as it is now.

Bend Markers/Splicing Samples: Before you scream at me, let me explain. They are great. My discussion is about how they are used to splice samples to import in a sampler. Currently, that is really not cool.
Coming from ableton, where you could easily split your sample in multiple ways in the plugin itself, this just makes it a tedious process.

It often happens that I import the slices and then find out they could be improved, then I have to go back to the sample, use bend markers again and import back in the sampler.. It's just not intuitive.

Stock Plugins: What can I say about this.. I probably use 5% of the stock plugins because most of them really sound cheap to my ears (the effects in particular). The compressor somehow seems unstable/unreliable for me. The arpeggiator is just trash, to be honest. You can't have such a cheap arp in 2021, come on. All note FX are just bad imo. They look like toys also.
- Autofilter is just complicated in a weird way, seems like they just overdid it.
- Fatchannel, cool but sidechaining to the compressor is not possible, unless you purchase the additional comps with sidechain input.
- Mixtool, it's fine but it goes to -24db only. Why? I don't know.
- Pro EQ. Doesn't even have dynamic bands. Why use it when you have Fabfilter?

Shortcuts/Macros management: Shortcuts have a search bar, Macros don't. The macropage really needs it and it also needs to be better organized, cleaner, to save so much time wasted finding the the right macro you were looking for.
Some actions inside S1 are still missing a proper shortcut.
Some shortcuts/Macros have confusing names and without a description it's really hard to understand what some of them do.

Info View: When I started using S1, I was hoping to find some help there or thanks to it, especially when hovering over certain S1 buttons, or stock plugin functions. Then I realized it doesn't really give a lot of info, it is very very limited, so I stopped using. Is anyone using it?

Color palette: Is that useful? The way it is now it isn't. Same goes for the actual colors once they are applied on tracks/events. Even with scripts and color toolbar, some colors are just a punch in the eye. Plus, I recently complained about how colors such as red, yellow and blue can almost completely hide the Mute/solo/automation on/off buttons, which eventually makes you think some of those are enabled or disabled and.. it's not fun. It also forces me to use other colors to avoid this problem > color palette becomes even more limited than it actually is. :readit:

Fade Outs/Fade Ins: God, how many times I had to zoom in x10 times to that meeting point of a fade out and a fade in (shaped like this /\ ) to separate them from each other.

Folders: The way they show up in the tracks constantly makes me think it's an instrument track. The little icon in the bottom left corner isn't enough for me, it needs a completely different and distintive look. Maybe a way to lock their size while zooming would be cool as well, so that it could look like a thin line and not as big as the tracks.

Useful features

I wasn't very sure whether to put it here or above, but the Scratch Pad sometimes can be useful to experiment and try different versions of a verse or store some files without cluttering my view.
At the same time, it usually happens that it doesn't work as I expect it to work, it definitely needs some improvement.

Chord Track/Circle of Fifths: This is useful and something that I haven't seen in other DAWs.
Chord track is missing the possibility to drag chords from it to the actual event. I haven't really used it to create chord progressions but more as something to look at when composing to remember the chords I played without having to figure it out myself.
To create chord progressions, when I need some inspiration, I use Scaler 2.

Takes: Very useful imo. Now Live 11 has it, but when it didn't, I found it very useful to have it, especially because I am never satisfied with my takes.
One little detail to improve would be that if you already have an event, and record over it (Replace+Takes to layers+ Record Takes), the original event is lost and the takes are created subsequently after the new one you recorded.

Shortcuts: The possibility to customize every command to your liking, in my opinion, is great. Very useful to create your workflow and let S1 adapt to it, instead of the opposite.

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by Lokeyfly on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:52 pm
Will all of the useful feedback in this post from all, I think we need to elect reggie1979beatz to itemize a list (or have his staff do it), and take this to Washington, ehm Baton Rouge.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by reggie1979beatz on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:56 pm
I don't do well in that kinda humidity :lol:

by reggie1979beatz on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:40 pm
ianaeillo wroteI don’t use the free VU meter plugin as I severely dislike the form factor and hope Presonus ups their metering options in the next update.

See, I think it's both sexy and highly functional.

by sirmonkey on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:06 am
Lokeyfly wroteStudio One items I've found very useful:
Clip Gain envelopes = Huge....

Yes, clip gain is huge. Especially for taming a bass guitar before using any compression.
You know how a bass guitar can eat up headroom? Now it's a lot easier to fix that.
Generally, we shouldn't mix with our eyes. But when it comes to lowering high peaks on bass
guitar, we can kind of do that now. For this purpose, lowering high peaks by eye almost
always sounds right on the first try.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by Lokeyfly on Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:33 pm
sirmonkey wrote
Lokeyfly wroteStudio One items I've found very useful:
Clip Gain envelopes = Huge....

Yes, clip gain is huge. Especially for taming a bass guitar before using any compression.
You know how a bass guitar can eat up headroom? Now it's a lot easier to fix that.
Generally, we shouldn't mix with our eyes. But when it comes to lowering high peaks on bass
guitar, we can kind of do that now. For this purpose, lowering high peaks by eye almost
always sounds right on the first try.

Absolutely, Monk,

Where before, I'd have to tame a transient or peaj by clipping at edges, and reducing, or via Melodyne, now just select the clip gain box, and adjust. What's even better is that you can dip the leading edge, or trailing edge by how you move the mouse pointer, so the dev's did a sweet job making that adjustable.

Yes, it greatly frees up headroom where there's less strain on limiting, compression, etc. Absolutely, bass is a headroom theif due to its higher RMS power, so being able to reduce some rogue peaks from bass or anything for that matter is a great thing to have (while still maintaining good solid bass as an audiable level).

I think it was my deciding factor on finally jumping on to getting 5.2 from 4.6 along with the new channel splitter as an effect showing up on the mixer. When I saw the choice for crossover frequencies on the splitter, I got all goose bumply!😎

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by reggie1979beatz on Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:52 pm
I love clip gain.

Another thing that I thought wouldn't be relevant to me but I was wrong was the listen bus. I have Sonarworks there and I don't have to remember to turn it off during a render.

Can't get by w/o the start page. It's so much better than the competition imho.

Love the track inputs. Gain staging is just that much better*

*Just wish I could have keyboard shortcuts to set to specific numbers, sometimes the mix tool and a macro is best.

by reggie1979beatz on Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:24 pm
Hate macros! I cannot figure it out.

by Lokeyfly on Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:48 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteHate macros! I cannot figure it out.

It's pretty nuts & bolts. You can preview some existing macros in the S1 shared folder, and see what it took to create them. Sometimes the steps are quite literal to steer what it is you want. I use and created a few, but don't get too caught up in the minutia. You may find a few that help you with some tasks to save a few steps.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

37 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2