37 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Macros are pretty nuts & bolts. You can preview some existing macros in the S1 shared folder, and see what it took to create them. Sometimes the steps are quite literal to steer what it is you want. I use and created a few, but don't get too caught up in the minutia. You may find a few that help you with some tasks to save a few steps.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by zzskhg on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:14 pm
As an amateur home studio enthusiast, I was stoked by the introduction of scratch pads and retrospective recording. In reality I haven't found them very useful, although I haven't gone out of my way (yet) to incorporate them into my workflow.

Over the years I've gained an appreciation for the often overlooked Red Light District. Simple, easy to use saturation that I turn to over and over to warm up many tracks.

Windows 10 home, i7 quad core, 16 gig ram, studio 192, faderport 8, jbl lsr305 monitors. S1v3.2 pro.
by Lokeyfly on Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:47 am
zzskhg wroteAs an amateur home studio enthusiast, I was stoked by the introduction of scratch pads and retrospective recording. In reality I haven't found them very useful, although I haven't gone out of my way (yet) to incorporate them into my workflow.

Over the years I've gained an appreciation for the often overlooked Red Light District. Simple, easy to use saturation that I turn to over and over to warm up many tracks.

There's a great point here about expectations and what really counts which is really that 90% perspiration. I thought I needed a few items in S1, received them, and well........ not got to them yet. :)

What Studio One might lack, and every DAW lacks some things, (to the multitude of groaners, or even experts), it makes up for in streamlining processes. Not high dollar EQ's, color, etc.

What we all might want certainly might help, but what invariably helps is the ability to see through a problem, and realize ones potential, or fulfilling that artists dream you might be working with. I don't think mix engineers such as Jack Puig, CLA, or the likes of  Alan Parsons or Eddie Kramer was up & arms about their equipment or colors. No most pulled some all nighters or pushed themselves to achieve that "right" result. Creativity, and hard work beats features every time. 

For all of us, the biggest need or feature is within ourselves. Not the X Y Z that hasn't arrived yet.
Peace, and Safe, All.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by billsaunders1 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:27 am
I took about eight months to upgrade from 4 to 5, convincing myself that I didn’t need it. Couldn’t imagine life without the Sound Variations lane now! Worth it just for that for me...the simplest of things.

https://billsaunders.hearnow.com/

https://genius.com/artists/Bill-saunders

https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders

Studio One Pro5.5 Win11 64bit i7-12700 32GB ram, FaderPort 16, Focusrite 8i6 3rd gen
by Lokeyfly on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:29 am
billsaunders1 wroteI took about eight months to upgrade from 4 to 5, convincing myself that I didn’t need it. Couldn’t imagine life without the Sound Variations lane now! Worth it just for that for me...the simplest of things.

That's a really great feature. I think that will be a benefit for all who use it!

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by j0001s on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:50 pm
One of the things that would be useful in this thread would be to describe what kind of music or what applications you are using it for. In my case, I use it for:

- Songwriting demos, mainly in the Roots/Americana/Rock vein. Do the full one man band thing, with drums/keys virtual instruments, the rest audio.
- Backing tracks for duo performances
- Audio editing of instructional videos
- Learning songs
- Occasional experiments in electronic music

What I use

For songwriting demos, what I "use" in S1 is workflow. For me, it's not about the feature checklist, but how well the features that I use all the time actually work together. I play some instruments well, others not so much, so I've got good at, um, polishing. If there's a tool in S1 to help with polishing, I'll use it. And, no smack talk about the smart tool - it's core to how I work.

Backing tracks, as above, but add the ability to tempo map. I drag in the original song, and depending on the song I'll map manually using the tempo track, or use Melodyne to come up with the tempo map (this is really cool). So, I guess I'll have to add ARA to my feature list.

Audio editing of instructional videos is clip gain and ripple edit.

Learning songs takes tempo mapping. Being able to loop bars helps in capturing the subtleties of a part. I do wish that there was a way to scale a tempo map for slowing down parts (I have a workaround for this, but it's not optimum)

Occasional experiments in electronic music brings me to the beat maker parts of the program.

When I get back to gigging (hopefully summer), I do plan on using the Show Page. I'd much rather play with our full band, but the dollars aren't there to support it for many gigs. I've used Mainstage in the past, and this looks better to me.

What I don't use

I don't use the scratch pad, except when I unintentionally hit the key command for it.

The chord track in theory (get it....) would be something I would use. I've invested some time with it, but I found it frustrating for the reasons others have mentioned.
by mikemanthei on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:59 pm
Vocalpoint wroteMy use of S1 is dialog/voiceover (80%) followed by music production (20%)

Cheers

VP

Hey Vocalpoint
Since you do dialog mostly, does the "Ripple edit" function work as you expect? I keep getting corruption of my audio in the events that are after the edit point. Most often, if I have a crossfade between 2 events, the ripple edit corrupts my crossfade. Does that same thing happen to you?

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:15 pm
I use a combination of soft synths, guitars, bass, virtual drums, loops, with no specific genre at all. I don't do vocals ever.

Mostly 4/4 stuff, I'm not really versatile with tempos,

Bye......:roll:
by leosutherland on Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:49 am
Mine is Electronic/Ambient music influence to one degree or another by Tangerine Dream (mainly) and others in a similar vein - so my use is with all soft synths/sequencers, with no recording as such.

I haven't yet found the need to upgrade from v4.6.2 :thumbup:

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Vocalpoint on Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:40 pm
mikemanthei wroteSince you do dialog mostly, does the "Ripple edit" function work as you expect? I keep getting corruption of my audio in the events that are after the edit point. Most often, if I have a crossfade between 2 events, the ripple edit corrupts my crossfade. Does that same thing happen to you?

Hey Mike

No issues with Ripple Edit here as of v5.1. A most welcome edition.

Now - I tend to do a LOT of punch and roll here for my longer form work where if I blow a take - I have a macro to wind it back ("C") and then retake ("R").

What I end up with is 6 or 10 or 20 dialog "events" back to back to back - which I then simply do a Select All and bounce to a single cohesive file.

For those times that I do need to make a hard cut - I have not experienced a single blip with Ripple Edit. And it is on all the time.

Can you describe what you mean by "corruption"? Does S1 actually throw an error saying the event audio is "corrupted"?

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by reggie1979beatz on Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:06 pm
leosutherland wrote
I haven't yet found the need to upgrade from v4.6.2 :thumbup:

For me it was gas :lol: I couldn't resist the 14.99 a month thing. I'm slightly disappointed. I still have 4.6.2 if I ever need it.

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:10 pm
Another thing I don't use is the channel strip. There is nothing wrong with it but I find thing like the SSL to do a better job and it's all right there. No shifting through different pages and fussing around with which eq or comp to use. It seems like an extra step to me.

I don't use the CTC anymore other than mixdown (which I'm sure is it's purpose anyways) because it causes artifacts (like hearing the unamped version through another channel) I'm sure it has something to do with crosstalk but it's REALLY annoying.

by stefanrauch1 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:56 am
What I don't use
- Show Page
- Chord Track
- Notation Editor
- Pattern Editor
- Drum Editor
- Stock Plugins/Presets/Sound Libraries
- Timestretch Algo TAPE (fail of the century!)
- FX Return tracks
- In-App Cloud/Shop

What I use
- the rest

Production/Recording/Mixing Music of varying genres.

OS: Win10 x64 || Software: Studio One Pro [latest version]
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X || Asus Prime X570-PRO || 64GB DDR4 RAM || Asus Dual-RTX2070S-A8G-EVO || UAD2 Octo & Duo PCIe
Peripherals: RME Fireface UFX II (+2x ADA8200) || Faderport Legacy || Atom || NI Komplete Kontrol A25
Audio Settings: 44,1/48kHz, 256 Samples, DP Off, 64 Bit
by ianaeillo on Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:33 am
I have never used it, but why is tape stretch algo the fail of the century?

I find myself using the FC670 comp in Fat Channel. It’s a legit decent Vari mu comp. I’m also partial to the tube tech comp.

I don’t use any of the EQs though. Tried em all and only sorta like the Pultec.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by stefanrauch1 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:40 am
ianaeillo wroteI have never used it, but why is tape stretch algo the fail of the century?

Because it does not work with Event Transpose, which would have been the only useful implementation of this thing... to be able to transpose (pitch) samples like a sampler from within the Arranger without the need of a sampler.

OS: Win10 x64 || Software: Studio One Pro [latest version]
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X || Asus Prime X570-PRO || 64GB DDR4 RAM || Asus Dual-RTX2070S-A8G-EVO || UAD2 Octo & Duo PCIe
Peripherals: RME Fireface UFX II (+2x ADA8200) || Faderport Legacy || Atom || NI Komplete Kontrol A25
Audio Settings: 44,1/48kHz, 256 Samples, DP Off, 64 Bit
by darrenporter1 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:38 am
Really the only major features I have no use for are the scratch pad, show mode and chord tracks. I also don't really do VI's so extremely light usage of the default instruments. Other than that, I usually find a use for just about everything else eventually.... not every time but glad they're there when I need it.

As far as stock FX goes ... I'll use Pro EQ when I need a surgical EQ. I used to like Fat Channel but I really find its interface and the way it handles things just gets in the way. They are great sounding plugins though. Console Shaper is just awful... hate what it does to my mixes. Great idea but needs serious work to make it viable. But I've drunk the UAD and Console 1 Kool-aid and man oh man... the default plugins just don't cut it for me anymore. The way I can load UAD EQ's and compressors into the Console 1 channel strip is a game changer and the ability to track at ANY stage of my mix without a lengthy process of having to jump though a gazillion hoops to manage latency is huge for my workflow. For delay, I still love the good ol' standard Waves H-Delay... super easy to use, sounds great and handles 85% of my delay heavy-lifting. Valhalla Delay fills in that gap when I need something really out there and the UAD Galaxy Tape Echo gets used on guitar quite a bit. The other effects are just "meh" IMO and don't get used at all.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by robertgray3 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:10 pm
stefanrauch1 wrote
ianaeillo wroteI have never used it, but why is tape stretch algo the fail of the century?

Because it does not work with Event Transpose, which would have been the only useful implementation of this thing... to be able to transpose (pitch) samples like a sampler from within the Arranger without the need of a sampler.

The issue was in the original request that got so many votes over the years they said "Give us something like Re-Pitch in Ableton or Tape in Cubase" and while Presonus added the basic behavior of those two they did not catch the subtle fact that Events can be Re-Pitched with a Transpose parameter in Live's equivalent of the Audio Editor, as opposed to the Speed parameter in their equivalent of the Arrange View.

This is the new version of this request on Answers. I'm still not sure if it's being adequately explained there but at least they say "make tape stretch have a pitch option instead of speed up."

Hopefully this part of it is quicker to add than the first.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2

37 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2