7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Is anyone using a mini PC to run S1 Pro 5+ ? If so what are the specs of your box and how does it perform with S1?
by mycbeats on Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:07 am
This is way too generic of a question.

The minimum specs for S1 are i3 and 4GB of ram.

Realistically, no computer should be built in 2021 with less than 8GB of RAM.
For a CPU, you want one that scores at least 6000 on https://www.cpubenchmark.net/.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by roland1 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:48 pm
My concern with mini computers is internal storage for backups and also offloading samples to another disk. It's limited when you limit the space. And when you go with external disks, you might as well just put it all in one big regular sized box and be done with it.

That said, 16 GB Ram and something i7 7700 or more-ish. USB C/whatever. (my tower specs)

If it's a new machine, it should have all the right specs in 2021.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by fmaestas on Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:55 pm
Yep, I agree with having an expandable tower system. I'd rather have all my SSD's inside the box, rather than multiple drives hanging outside the laptop or mini. So much easier and less messy. Once you have it built, stick it under the desk and forget about it.

S1 Pro 6.5, Logic, Reaper, macOS BigSur
My Bandcamp
by leosutherland on Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:33 am
Also, having all your SSDs, hence all your stuff, in one place is fine, except having everything in one place has the risk of losing everything to fire or flood or power surge, whatever. So long as you regularly backup your stuff to a completely different place, eg to external drives that can be taken away and secured elsewhere (yes definitely a PITA :)), or, as in my case, up to the cloud.

Just saying :thumbup:

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by roland1 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:41 pm
In my answer, I was not referring to backups solutions, just space and workflow efficiencies.

You definitely need to protect your files with some kind of redundant backup system both outside and inside your machine. 2 backups will save your butt, fire or not.

However, I suspect the OP hates us by now. :)

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by leosutherland on Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:16 am
roland1 wroteIn my answer, I was not referring to backups solutions, just space and workflow efficiencies.

Neither was I, really, I was just pointing out the risk in having all eggs in one basket

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers

7 posts
Page 1 of 1