7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have Studio One Artist which doesn't have the project mastering capabilities so I am mixing down the best I can but when I export my mix, it doesn't render the same sound as my console mix. It sounds like a raw, unequalized, uncompressed, rough track. Is there something that I am missing or am I just stuck with bad sounding roughs until I invest in Studio One Pro?
Any help is appreciated,
Mike
by matthewgorman on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:17 pm
You don't NEED pro, but there are many reasons to WANT pro.

First thing to try, there is an option on the mixdown screen to import the mixdown back into the song as a new track. Solo that track and see if it sounds different through the same listening chain. Another trick would be to put mixtool onto that thrack, and invert the phase. If the mixdown is the same as the song, they should cancel each other out.

One reason off the top of my head for a potential difference. If you have effects on the main out fader, there is a setting in mixdown to bypass effects on the main.

If none of these answer the question, we will need more info on your setup etc to try and troubleshoot.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by desmaic on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:28 am
Thanks for the food for thought! I did several different mixes and exported them then listened to the in succession, there is a difference between them so I know that the mix is effecting it. Maybe there is a difference between the audio box headphone out and my computer's audio card that is molding the sound. I'll keep digging.
Thanks for your help!
Mike
by matthewgorman on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:31 pm
There absolutely is a difference. Audio interfaces are designed to have a clean signal path that doesnt color the sound. Home and oersonal entertainment equipment is designed to make things sound beterr (in the eyes of the engineer that designed them).

There are usually some eq setting on a pc, or in media players. That may be coloring the sound. You should do the null test (phase reversal). That rules out any question of the mixdown process.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by kevinwhitaker1 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:03 pm
Anyone have ideas??? I am having the exact same problem. I have spent hours exporting files (both WAV and MP3) at every quality, bit-rate, resolution possible, with/without dithering, real-time/non-real-time and the problem still exists. Here is what I have discovered: When any of those 100s of mixdown files are played back in Studio One they sound PERFECT ... just like they are supposed to. It's when those files (any of them) are played back on "consumer" players (Windows Media Player, Audacity, VLC, etc.) that they sound like cr*** … no bottom-end, very tinny. It seems (my hypothesis) that the mixdown files being created can be read by Studio One just fine but the consumer playback apps are having problems. And I should add, to eliminate questions about hardware, I have disabled my onboard sound in the BIOS and the only sound device I have is a PreSonus Studio24c and my speakers are KRK Rocket 5s. I am using Windows 10.
This seems to be a problem that has been raised in numerous online forums for the past few years - does anyone have thoughts on how to remedy this issue?
Thanks in advance!
by Tacman7 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:34 pm
Welcome to the Forum!

The studio is where your music is going to sound the best, you spent a lot of money to get it that way, you want to hear the slightest nuance and all that stuff.

You want to know how your music translates to these other playback systems. I always like to listen to my mix in the car or several cars. Living rooms, different computer sound systems. Some systems might really show up problems with your music that your listening environment is not showing you or hiding. That's the way it seems to me because I hear different things on different devices. Getting a mix that sounds good everywhere you play it is the goal. So it's also about setting up a mixing environment that can create something that will translate well.

How to do that?
Lot of stuff out there about that:
https://diymusician.cdbaby.com/music-ca ... e-speaker/

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by codamedia on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:42 am
kevinwhitaker1 wroteI should add, to eliminate questions about hardware, I have disabled my onboard sound in the BIOS and the only sound device I have is a PreSonus Studio24c and my speakers are KRK Rocket 5s. I am using Windows 10.

You have covered the all important first step in critical comparison, but there are still differences in how Studio One and the consumer applications (windows media, VLC, iTunes, etc... etc...) access the interface.

* Studio One will access the interface directly, with no additional layers.
* Consumer apps access the interface through an abstraction layer on Windows 10.

1: Check the Windows 10 Audio settings. Make sure there are NO ENHANCEMENT or EQ settings applied at this level. These can be found in several layers of menu's and tabs. Find them ALL and make sure only the purest sound is moving through this layer.

2: Each and every app has EQ's and enhancements of their own. Unless these are OFF they will impart their own color on the sound of your mix.

3: Make sure you are comparing at the same listening volume.

Finally... as already stated, mixing is not easy! Making a mix that sounds great on all setups is extremely hard and comes only with experience. Your mix WILL sound different on different setups, the important part is to make sure it still sounds "good" on different setups.

Windows 10 Professional, 8 Gig Ram, Q9300 Intel 2.5G CPU, ATI 5400 Video
Firepod Interface, Studio One Artist (64 bit) V2, M-Audio Axiom 49, FaderPort

7 posts
Page 1 of 1