216 postsPage 10 of 11
1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Steve Carter wroteJust the last few days on starting S1v5.2 I’m getting (paraphrasing) ‘ Studio One failed to close properly’ with a menu offering ‘start up normal’ or ‘start up with options’ - strange because as far as I can tell S1 closed without problems and starts again just fine clicking on the start up normal - strange!

I'm having the same problem. After updating several instruments and effects, S1 finally stopped blowing up. Now I get an error on startup every other time. It starts normally, I do some work, exit -- and S1 restarts automatically. I tell it to start normally and it does so that I can exit. Next time there will be no problem at startup and then a restart on exit. Why is Studio One restarting?

Windows 11 Pro 64; Lenovo ThinkCentre 720t; Intel I-7; 32GB; Studio One 6.1 and Sphere; Focusrite Scarlett 18i8; Yamaha MX61 kbd
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:42 am
That happened to me once, maybe twice, about 2 weeks ago after a windows update.

Now what is happening is Studio One takes a good while to close after working on something.

Bye......:roll:
by PreAl on Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:13 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteThat happened to me once, maybe twice, about 2 weeks ago after a windows update.

Now what is happening is Studio One takes a good while to close after working on something.

Assuming you haven't already,..
Try updating your audio interface drivers and firmware.
Maybe even your motherboard bios and chipset drivers.
Set antivirus folder and process exclusions for Studio and and associated folders.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:57 pm
Will do! ;)

Bye......:roll:
by Steve Carter on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:23 pm
Same shutdown/restart issue here but haven’t a clue how to take the steps suggested by Pre-Al, have to do some research!

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by webhamster on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:45 pm
One thing I've noticed, wonder if any of you have the same, is that 'close all' will sometimes crash S1, where 'close' does not. This happens even when having only 1 song opened.

S1 6.5.1 - MacOs 13.6.2 MacBook 14" M1 max - interface: Quantum 2
by patrickbrannen on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:08 pm
I recently tried using the Izotope connect plugin (RX8) to clean up some noise on some tracks and got the message (feature not available). I am having trouble believing that Studio One can't do this in 2021. Izotope is the industry standard for professional audio restoration. Am I missing something or is Studio One just not capable of this basic professional task?
by PreAl on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:19 pm
patrickbrannen wroteI recently tried using the Izotope connect plugin (RX8) to clean up some noise on some tracks and got the message (feature not available). I am having trouble believing that Studio One can't do this in 2021. Izotope is the industry standard for professional audio restoration. Am I missing something or is Studio One just not capable of this basic professional task?

May I redirect you here:

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=41467

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by thomasforeman on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:38 am
PreAl wrote
reggie1979beatz wroteThat happened to me once, maybe twice, about 2 weeks ago after a windows update.

Set antivirus folder and process exclusions for Studio and and associated folders.

I don't recall a major piece of software that arrived with so many issues, not since the early days. I'm a reasonably competent computer jock, and I keep my system up to date. The 5.2 update has cost me hours of confusion and frustration. It works, sort of. When it works, it's a lovely piece of software, but your users don't deserve this.

Windows 11 Pro 64; Lenovo ThinkCentre 720t; Intel I-7; 32GB; Studio One 6.1 and Sphere; Focusrite Scarlett 18i8; Yamaha MX61 kbd
by PreAl on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 am
thomasforeman wrote
PreAl wrote

I don't recall a major piece of software that arrived with so many issues, not since the early days. I'm a reasonably competent computer jock, and I keep my system up to date. The 5.2 update has cost me hours of confusion and frustration. It works, sort of. When it works, it's a lovely piece of software, but your users don't deserve this.

You quoted me. Is it reasonable to assume you've tried what I suggested? I don't experience this issue myself, however I have in the past and that's what has fixed it. In fact I didn't just reinstall the audio drivers, I uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled the latest. Also anything like ASIO4ALL has to be removed as well. Rule this out first.

by thomasforeman on Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:50 pm
PreAl wrote
thomasforeman wrote
PreAl wrote

You quoted me. Is it reasonable to assume you've tried what I suggested? I don't experience this issue myself, however I have in the past and that's what has fixed it. In fact I didn't just reinstall the audio drivers, I uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled the latest. Also anything like ASIO4ALL has to be removed as well. Rule this out first.

I appreciate your effort to help. My computer is a year old and dedicated to music, with a minimum of additional software. Lenovo lets me know when updates are needed. I updated sound card software separately. Windows is up to date. I'm using Focusrite's ASIO, which the device requires, installed less than three months ago. This is a good, well-maintained computer and Studio One shouldn't have problems with it. If so, it should tell me where the problems are rather than a laundry list of technical procedures that may or may not help. For contrast, I've upgraded from Mixcraft 6 to 7, 8 and now 9 without issues. The upgrade to Studio One 5.1 was not a problem. I suspect 5.2 was premature.

by PreAl on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:25 pm
thomasforeman wroteI appreciate your effort to help. My computer is a year old and dedicated to music, with a minimum of additional software. Lenovo lets me know when updates are needed. I updated sound card software separately. Windows is up to date. I'm using Focusrite's ASIO, which the device requires, installed less than three months ago. This is a good, well-maintained computer and Studio One shouldn't have problems with it. If so, it should tell me where the problems are rather than a laundry list of technical procedures that may or may not help. For contrast, I've upgraded from Mixcraft 6 to 7, 8 and now 9 without issues. The upgrade to Studio One 5.1 was not a problem. I suspect 5.2 was premature.

In exactly the same way I could say studio one 5.2 is working fine for me and I don't experience these issues.

All I can say I've fixed several issues like this with my Focusrite interface. I've experienced these issues with several DAWs, and no DAW ever showed identical symptoms at the same time, it never works like that.

And yes that's how you mostly fix tricky IT issues, going through a laundry list. I've given you a list of likely candidates now it's your turn. It's difficult to mind meld with a PC and magically find an issue like this, fixing issues is often a process of elimination. You could try the windows event viewer and see if you see a smoking gun..that may require another learning curve, more often than likely there won't be anything relevant there.

Anyway not here to convince you to help yourself. Just create a support ticket if you like, they will probably give similar advice (if you are lucky).

by garyanderson5 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:34 pm
So i noticed something today while helping a friend with some Acoustica Audio plugins in Studio One 5. Long story short we both loaded 37 instances of Gold4 and by simply turning the plugins off then back on Studio One dropped the cpu load by 10%. This simple power off/on freed up 10% of both our cpu's. Both Intels. I am not sure why it does this but i was wondering if it's an AA thing or a Studio One thing and if anyone has noticed simular behavior with plugins or Acoustica plugins etc. I am asking AA also i just thought i would ask if anyone noticed this behavior in S1 V5 also.

Ive not done extensive testing with various plugins it was just something i noticed and could repeat every time with a fresh project.

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by PreAl on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:44 pm
garyanderson5 wroteSo i noticed something today while helping a friend with some Acoustica Audio plugins in Studio One 5. Long story short we both loaded 37 instances of Gold4 and by simply turning the plugins off then back on Studio One dropped the cpu load by 10%. This simple power off/on freed up 10% of both our cpu's. Both Intels. I am not sure why it does this but i was wondering if it's an AA thing or a Studio One thing and if anyone has noticed simular behavior with plugins or Acoustica plugins etc. I am asking AA also i just thought i would ask if anyone noticed this behavior in S1 V5 also.

Ive not done extensive testing with various plugins it was just something i noticed and could repeat every time with a fresh project.

37 instances is quite a lot of plugins.
10% is kind of meaningless when we don't know how much CPU studio one is taking, and what exactly your CPU is.
Finally how are the threads balancing out across the cores...
These kind of discussions are probably best on a separate thread.

by garyanderson5 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:14 am
PreAl wrote
garyanderson5 wroteSo i noticed something today while helping a friend with some Acoustica Audio plugins in Studio One 5. Long story short we both loaded 37 instances of Gold4 and by simply turning the plugins off then back on Studio One dropped the cpu load by 10%. This simple power off/on freed up 10% of both our cpu's. Both Intels. I am not sure why it does this but i was wondering if it's an AA thing or a Studio One thing and if anyone has noticed simular behavior with plugins or Acoustica plugins etc. I am asking AA also i just thought i would ask if anyone noticed this behavior in S1 V5 also.

37 instances is quite a lot of plugins.
10% is kind of meaningless when we don't know how much CPU studio one is taking, and what exactly your CPU is.
Finally how are the threads balancing out across the cores...
These kind of discussions are probably best on a separate thread.

Your probably right it's maby not the right thread. Fairly easy test that maximizes Studio One cpu management. 37 channels in parallel. It's as close as possible to task manager as you can get and the easiest way to test multi core usage. From my understanding Studio One can't jump plugins across cores or threads so were does the extra 10% almost 3 plugins difference come from. You can A/B all day long after the initial power off and it stays at the 10% cpu reduction. I was only using 74% cpu by the way not the full system. I use a 9900k and he uses a 10850k. It doesn't do this in Reaper on the same test. We tried it already.

Anyway it's just something i noticed it's not a complaint or anything. Pic below with a fairly simple multicore test of the set up. Before i powerd the plugins down then back on my cpu was at 84%. It could do this with 16 plugins on 16 channels that use higher cpu % wich is nothing for a plugin count. Like i say i never tested it. I just noticed the behavior while helping a friend out who was complaining how bad Studio One was with CPU. Not my opinion by the way. I am pretty sure people would thank any DAW company for a 10% cpu gain over say 20 tracks or more.

Attachments
Gold4 Test.jpg

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by robertgray3 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:53 am
garyanderson5 wroteI am pretty sure people would thank any DAW company for a 10% cpu gain over say 20 tracks or more.

Well, it's a 10% reduction on your most stressed single core, which is what that meter shows. Meaning everything is more evenly spread across the available cores.

I can't speak to your exact situation but when I first moved to S1 I fired up the Activity Monitor in Mac to see how it was choosing to distribute threads. There is a slight difference between adding plugins gradually and adding them all at once, which is what you are doing when you turn them all off and then on again.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by garyanderson5 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:52 am
robertgray3 wrote
garyanderson5 wroteI am pretty sure people would thank any DAW company for a 10% cpu gain over say 20 tracks or more.

Well, it's a 10% reduction on your most stressed single core, which is what that meter shows. Meaning everything is more evenly spread across the available cores.

I can't speak to your exact situation but when I first moved to S1 I fired up the Activity Monitor in Mac to see how it was choosing to distribute threads. There is a slight difference between adding plugins gradually and adding them all at once, which is what you are doing when you turn them all off and then on again.

This was the conclusion i came to Robert as Studio One shows the highest core in use. Maby powering down then back on changes the thread distribution some how. I know in Reaper it makes no difference what so ever so maby it's something Presonus could look into. Free 10% by a simple A/B across multiple channels is a good find if you ask me. Like i say it was never a complaint i was more curious than anything else. If that one simple A/B power rotation helps anyone with AA plugins or anything else for a small cpu boost then i would say it's worth a try if it unloads some of the highest core in use. :thumbup:

by robertgray3 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:46 am
garyanderson5 wroteI know in Reaper it makes no difference what so ever so maby it's something Presonus could look into.

It's probably a discussion for a different thread but if you're curious the way REAPER achieves this is essentially through a lot of extra buffering (they call it Anticipative FX). It comes with many performance compromises.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by rahinastudiot on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:05 am
Studio One 5 (version 5.2.0.63799) does not recognize Samson Q2U USB-microphone.
The microphone is not selectable in the Audio Setup -> Audio Device -> Playback Device or Recording Device menu.

The microphone is recognized by the operating system in System Preferences -> Audio and works as it should with every other audio program I've tried: Logic, Sound Studio, Ocenaudio, Audacity, Garageband and Studio One 4 (version 4.6.2.58729).

I'm on Macbook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2015 2,5Ghz 16Gb, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. Same behavior happens also on a 2013 Macbook Pro 13" and Macbook Air.

I made a technical support ticket about this.

Has anyone else had such a problem?

Late 2013 Mac Pro, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Avid HDX PCIe via Thunderbolt 2 Sonnet Echo Express III PCIe chassis, Studio One 5.2.0
by vasilykorytov on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:02 am
full screen for Windows is a great feature. but there're some problems with it.

first of all, if you enter full-screen mode, close the app and open it again, it will not return full-screen. it won't use the same geometry that it used before entering full-screen. I think, I reported the same bug for full-screen in Mac four years ago but it was never fixed. how to reproduce:

1. open Studio One.
2. make the window maximized (we all do this, I believe).
3. enter full-screen
4. close S1
5. reopen it and see the window uses different dimensions now, it's not full-screen, or maximized

I hope, we don't end up with creating another feature request for 'remember fullscreen settings' and wait five more years to have it. but it's very logical: if user wants to use it full-screen, he likely wants S1 to open full-screen. (same applies to Mac, but AFAIK never was done as well.)

second issue with full-screen is that users expect it to be present at F11. all Windows apps have full-screen at F11. but not the S1, it has shift+f. I know that the root of confusion is that S1 had another command bound to F11 for years. and I know users can change the keybindings. but wanted to highlight this nevertheless.

216 postsPage 10 of 11
1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11