13 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just recently made the switch from using Reaper to Studio One and seem to be running into a new problem I've never encountered before. Whenever I try to click exclusive mode in S1's audio settings, I get a message that tells me "Unable to open device microphone array in exclusive mode".

I have my microphone settings set up to allow applications to take exclusive control of the device, and I can still use exclusive mode in Reaper as well so I'm not entirely sure what the issue could be. Like I said, when I used windows audio on Reaper I had no problems turning on exclusive mode and had latency of less than 2 ms. I'm hoping someone might know what I might be missing. I've seen a lot of topics on how to turn exclusive mode off, but none on how to turn it on haha.

Attachments
IMG_9426.jpg
IMG_9425.jpg
by Tacman7 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:14 am
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm amazed at how well you've done with windows audio.

The interface is the center of my studio, without it not much goes on.

The interface provides the low latency that lets me track with virtual instruments and use real time guitar fx etc.

I remember using wdm drivers for Sonar I think it was...

So I'm not much help with your problem.

It would be good to put your specs in your signature, just click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by sterlingHDR on Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:43 am
I would like to bump this thread. I am having almost the exact same issue. I have a Presonus Audiobox 22VSL, I just upgraded to Studio One 6, Windows 11, Intel 12700 and RTX 3060, I have enabled the exclusive mode on the device in properties but I get the same popup message that exclusive mode cannot be enabled.

There are a lot of threads on how to disable exclusive mode, but not many on how to enable. Exclusive seems good if it can lower latency. There was one thread on reddit I found that mentioned changing sampling rate. That did not work for me.
https://www.reddit.com/r/StudioOne/comm ... sive_mode/
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:03 pm
I have no idea what is going on, but a quick look at the reference manual talks only about "exclusive" mode being related to "wasapi".

I'm guessing if you are using ASIO this will not work. If that is the case for you, then this is all I could find:

(Supported Devices

Studio One supports most audio devices, including those that run on ASIO or WASAPI (Windows) or Core Audio (macOS) drivers.

When using a WASAPI audio device in Windows, note that WASAPI offers Exclusive and Shared modes of operation. Shared mode is the default setting. In Exclusive mode lower latency can be achieved, but other applications (such as Windows Media Player) cannot use the audio device at the same time. On your Windows computer, navigate to Windows Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound to configure the options for your WASAPI device. )

Bye......:roll:
by sterlingHDR on Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:24 pm
thank you for the reply! I read that about wasapi device as well. How can I tell if my Presonus 22VSL is a wasapi device? I would figure that if it's letting me to allow exclusive mode in properties it would be wasapi? When I click exclusive mode in the presonus window is when I get the error. (pic attached)

Attachments
Screenshot 2022-11-14 132337.png
by sterlingHDR on Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:34 pm
After watching this video it said to install the Universal Control. Now I can enter exclusive mode and get much lower latency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UF9lrddE2A
https://www.presonus.com/products/Audio ... /downloads
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:42 pm
But, if you wouldn't have posted and gotten the ol' noggin thinking this through, you'd still be stuck! :lol: Good that you seem to have gotten it sorted.

Bye......:roll:
by nathanielwalker2 on Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:48 pm
Last edited by nathanielwalker2 on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
by PreAl on Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:35 pm
It depends on how well written a driver is. Nothing can beat a well written ASIO driver, nothing.

Can a well written WASAPI driver (WASAPI driver are easier to write and far less complex because it does not need to bypass the HAL and has hook in points) beat a poorly written ASIO driver. Sure.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by nathanielwalker2 on Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:43 pm
Last edited by nathanielwalker2 on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
by PreAl on Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:34 pm
nathanielwalker2 wroteWASAPI talks directly to the hardware, like ASIO. In Exclusive mode it bypasses the mixer.

Yes exclusive mode does bypass the mixer like ASIO.
But a WASAPI driver does NOT talk directly to the hardware like an ASIO driver.

Bypassing the mixer (e.g. WASAPI exclusive mode) does not mean it bypasses the windows hardware abstraction layer.(HAL) in the Windows operating system.That is exclusive to ASIO..WASAPI is still controlled through windows and not "direct" (even when set as "exclusive").

Exclusive Mode is a Windows setting, it will only affect the audio channels used by Windows, consequently it does not bypass the windows hardware abstraction layer. ASIO and Windows latency are entirely independent, WASAPI and Windows latency is not.

It may be best to look up what the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) actually is, that's probably the root of the confusion.

It's easier for me to point to elsewhere that can explain it all far better than I can:
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/wasapi-n ... /802399/17

Also you mention Focusrite, they actually recommend disabling exclusive mode:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... -for-Audio

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by nathanielwalker2 on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:29 am
[... Deleted large explanation, because it almost certainly was not worth it the time]

And instead of addressing this issue, you're spreading fake news, crutching on one term and assuming I need a tutorial on what a HAL is.

And on top of that, not a single acknowledgement that this is an actual problem. Simply a defensive response to shift it from an issue with this software to an issue with me... Because you are just assuming I have never read the Windows Audio API documentation - in full (and I'm pretty sure you haven't, and simply did a few quick web searches - I suggest you do).

Can we block people on this forum?

[EDIT: Seems not. I am done, anyway. I can delete this PreSonus account and it won't bother me one bit. The software is literally useless for the reason and scenario I purchased it, and there are other choices that actually work.]

Happy New Years!
by PreAl on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:33 am
nathanielwalker2 wroteWASAPI talks directly to the hardware, like ASIO. In Exclusive mode it bypasses the mixer.

nathanielwalker2 wrote[... Deleted large explanation, because it almost certainly was not worth it the time]

And instead of addressing this issue, you're spreading fake news, crutching on one term and assuming I need a tutorial on what a HAL is.

And on top of that, not a single acknowledgement that this is an actual problem. Simply a defensive response to shift it from an issue with this software to an issue with me... Because you are just assuming I have never read the Windows Audio API documentation - in full (and I'm pretty sure you haven't, and simply did a few quick web searches - I suggest you do).

Can we block people on this forum?

[EDIT: Seems not. I am done, anyway. I can delete this PreSonus account and it won't bother me one bit. The software is literally useless for the reason and scenario I purchased it, and there are other choices that actually work.]

Happy New Years!

Well in your defence you're not exactly the first person who has had this misunderstanding (that exclusive mode is something to do with bypassing HAL, when in fact it only bypasses the windows mixer), although I have to say you're the first person I have noticed who would prefer to cover their tracks by deleting their posts rather than admit they are wrong. Each to their own.

Anyway I'll happily keep my "fake news" posts up for everybody to see (although they have been orphaned somewhat).

Also I have absolutely no idea why you think "Windows Audio API" documentation is suddenly of relevance here (although please be aware it's actually called. "Windows Audio Session API) but hey.

13 posts
Page 1 of 1