69 postsPage 3 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
I can't live without Thunderbolt nowadays.
Over and out.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by reggie1979beatz on Sat May 29, 2021 1:06 pm
welp, I'm approved at Newegg :) Just 2800 bucks but now I'm looking again.

Bye......:roll:
by reggie1979beatz on Mon May 31, 2021 12:15 pm
Hmmmmmmm, should I go internal or external DVD? (yeah, I'm old school like that)

by PreAl on Mon May 31, 2021 1:40 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteHmmmmmmm, should I go internal or external DVD? (yeah, I'm old school like that)

Why the heck do you need an external DVD player (unless it's a laptop)?
In fact there is a lot to be said in not having a DVD player, the only main use is ripping discs (I've got an internal blu ray myself).
And regardless external DVD players are very cheap so you can have both. Much better idea to get an external hard drive for backups of your hard drive (cloned images).

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by brettgoodkin on Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:25 am
Anybody with AMD using UAD stuff?

I’m pencilling out a new build... always use Intel, but, want the absolute best of the best for this build.

My interface is a madi FX card and I have a few UAD usb octo satellites

Probably will still go Intel just so I can bump up to a TB ready box, but I digress

https://soundcloud.com/brotherbrim/sets ... ernational

win 11 pro... S1 pro latest version... 64 bits... Rme latest drivers... All the ram and i9 3900k monster...
by Vocalpoint on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:13 am
reggie1979beatz wrotewelp, I'm approved at Newegg :) Just 2800 bucks but now I'm looking again.

Would love to see your exact parts list to total $2800.00.

I have built at least 7 DAWS in the last 15 years and none were over a grand...

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:41 am
Ok, I found this:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43513231

And it kinda confirms what many have said.

My cpu is excellent, my SSD is excellent, my ram is more than good enough but the graphics card stinks :lol:

So the top score is UFO and mine is battleship of desktop PC. So I'm back to being scared that spending money will simply result in not really what I'm after.

Actually what one member said is true. The i5 with the higher clock speed seems to be the best way to go. Considering that AMD is at least partially known not to do well with low latency, the question becomes one of chance. Will an i5 at 4.1ghz be enough of performance boost (6 cores/ 12 with hyperthreading which is a debatable subject) but the i5 is in UFO space (102% vs mine with I believe is 87%)

On the other hand, it's been 7 or 8 years. The 4770k was the shining star back in those days. There is a side to me that says "buy now and have something that will work longer than this" , I dunno.

Anyways, I'll most certainly be spending WAY less money than I thought no matter.

by Vocalpoint on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:52 am
reggie1979beatz wroteOk, I found this:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43513231

And it kinda confirms what many have said.

My cpu is excellent, my SSD is excellent, my ram is more than good enough but the graphics card stinks :lol:

So the top score is UFO and mine is battleship of desktop PC. So I'm back to being scared that spending money will simply result in not really what I'm after.

Actually what one member said is true. The i5 with the higher clock speed seems to be the best way to go. Considering that AMD is at least partially known not to do well with low latency, the question becomes one of chance. Will an i5 at 4.1ghz be enough of performance boost (6 cores/ 12 with hyperthreading which is a debatable subject) but the i5 is in UFO space (102% vs mine with I believe is 87%)

On the other hand, it's been 7 or 8 years. The 4770k was the shining star back in those days. There is a side to me that says "buy now and have something that will work longer than this" , I dunno.

Anyways, I'll most certainly be spending WAY less money than I thought no matter.

You could easily improve on this existing build for not a lot of money. I have the i5 10600K in my main DAW and it's destroying everything I throw at it and it was $283 bucks. Can't do much better than that value wise. It was so good I bought another one for my personal PC (that I am typing on).

Here is my DAW bench stats:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43513946

For typical (or even non-typical S1 usage) I could not justify spending more on any other CPU - it does any job I put to it with ease and I am doing everything from basic voiceover to project mastering to typical heavy duty (Kontakt/Omnisphere/Superior Drummer 3.x) VSTi based songs. Have not come across anything that needed any more power with S1 5.2.

And - I am doing it all using the CPU graphics interface. Don't even need for a third party card for this setup either.

VP
Last edited by Vocalpoint on Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:59 am
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about that. In the "olden days" it was considered that using the built in graphics resulted in cycles being taken away and more heat added. I'll get a Noctua for sure which should be a good choice.

Have we discussed power supply? I'm guessing 6-650 should be more than enough? My Corsair has a noisy fan, I haver heard seasonics is good? Kinda pricy.

And a Fractal case. I'd really like carbon but that doesn't seem like a thing anymore.

by Vocalpoint on Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:09 am
reggie1979beatz wroteYeah, I'm starting to wonder about that. In the "olden days" it was considered that using the built in graphics resulted in cycles being taken away and more heat added. I'll get a Noctua for sure which should be a good choice.

Have we discussed power supply? I'm guessing 6-650 should be more than enough? My Corsair has a noisy fan, I haver heard seasonics is good? Kinda pricy.

And a Fractal case. I'd really like carbon but that doesn't seem like a thing anymore.

I have been rocking the same Fractal Case (Define R5) and PSU (Corsair HX 650 Professional Series) for my last three DAWS. Nothing special here - but mature and reliable.

I buy every PC part with a primary goal of super extended shelf life and the ability to "graduate" the part up through our entire household until it's useful life has concluded.

Just this month I finally pulled two LGA1155 motherboards out of service that came online in 2011 and 2012 respectively. These two machines started life as my main DAW (and main HTPC) and each ended up rolling through to last week without a hitch. To get 10+ years of a set of parts is outstanding to me.

And - both of these setups could easily kept going for who knows how long but I have newer "graduates" ready to take their place.

My advice is think long term and buy quality vs flash.

Cheers!

VP

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:32 am
The other thing is, I've been hit/miss on building things, and the last time I went to Fry's but they are out of business. Then again, when I ditched out the motherboard that we breezy.

Looks like it's going to be about 1200 bucks which means 100 bucks a month which is just about perfect.

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:51 pm
PreAl wrote
reggie1979beatz wroteHmmmmmmm, should I go internal or external DVD? (yeah, I'm old school like that)

In fact there is a lot to be said in not having a DVD player, the only main use is ripping discs (I've got an internal blu ray myself).
And regardless external DVD players are very cheap so you can have both. Much better idea to get an external hard drive for backups of your hard drive (cloned images).

Well, I'm going to answer this. I have a lot of cd's and dvd's. On my current system, you have to open the door and keep it open while using it. It's just begging to be accidentally run into and broken off.

On the other hand, having one on my desktop is easier to access and able to move to my laptop or whatever.

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:36 pm
https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder ... 32?tab=CPU

Can someone tell me in layman's terms what the heck "hits" means and why there is such a dramatic difference between the i5 and the i7 compared here?

by Vocalpoint on Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:16 pm
reggie1979beatz wrotehttps://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S0-M1520462vsS0-M1120932?tab=CPU

Can someone tell me in layman's terms what the heck "hits" means and why there is such a dramatic difference between the i5 and the i7 compared here?

"Hits" are basically user benches (from the real world) against a specific part (CPU in this case)

The reason for the large difference is your i5 11600K is drastically newer than the i7 10700K. Less "userbenchmark" folks have benched the new one (1493) vs the older one (53899).

VP

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:18 pm
So it doesn't mean anything in performance then? I wondered about that.

So, the i5 is looking pretty sweet right now.

by Vocalpoint on Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:25 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteSo it doesn't mean anything in performance then? I wondered about that.

So, the i5 is looking pretty sweet right now.

Not at all. Just the amount of benches done. The i5 is great value for the money - almost unbelievable really - but the reasoning behind this odd ball chip was that Intel had to counter Ryzen somehow and then battle them in that sweet $275-$320 price point.

Very interesting to remember that the i5's - by design - never offered Hyperthreading until the recent 10th Gen (my chip). That and the ability to overclock these things to ridiculous speeds almost make the money spent on an i7 or i9 - pointless. Yes - you can get a bit more juice out of an i7 or i9 - but cost to performance ratio does not make good $$$ sense given how cheap these i5s are and how good they are.

I had several i7s over the years and this little i5 of mine feels like it would run them all over easily.

VP

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:40 pm
Well, as I expected way back in the day, single core performance trumps cores. To get the kind of scores in performance the i5 is getting is .. impressive. It's a TON of savings, but again.....why would I want a 3.6ghz 16 core chip for 400 bucks when I can get a 260'70 "ish" chip that has 3.9/4.1ghz and still has way more threads than what I have.

Yep, I'm super close now.

by PreAl on Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:58 pm
reggie1979beatz wrote
PreAl wrote

Well, I'm going to answer this. I have a lot of cd's and dvd's. On my current system, you have to open the door and keep it open while using it. It's just begging to be accidentally run into and broken off.

On the other hand, having one on my desktop is easier to access and able to move to my laptop or whatever.

Why do you have to keep the tray open? Makes no sense. Regardless rip your CD's and DVDs to ISO, store on a hard drive and never look back.

I've gone one step forward and I keep them all on a Synology NAS, I have a lot of CDs and DVDs and they are all in the attic.

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:15 pm
I hadn't realized I posted this back in Feb, guess I wasn't kidding about taking my time :lol:

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:49 pm
Well poo, I decided to pull the trigger and I can't find the temporary card number :(

Oh well, the prices will change by the time I get my card, maybe for the better.

69 postsPage 3 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4