69 postsPage 4 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
brettgoodkin wroteAnybody with AMD using UAD stuff?

I’m pencilling out a new build... always use Intel, but, want the absolute best of the best for this build.

My interface is a madi FX card and I have a few UAD usb octo satellites

Probably will still go Intel just so I can bump up to a TB ready box, but I digress

There are some users over in this thread-

https://gearspace.com/board/product-ale ... -a-19.html

And one guy working on a system in this one-

https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... hread.html

It seems one possible caveat with Ryzen performance could be that it doesn't have AVX512 support, one user who is using a lot of Acoustica Audio stuff isn't getting great performance yet, but but it isn't clear if that is the issue.

The Gigabyte B550 Vision D and Asus ProArt B550 Creator both have included TB3/4 on the IO shield and are working well with UA from what people have reported. Working well here with Quantum and HDSPe MADI in a PCIe-> TB box (owc node duo). Focusrite Red range is not working great- it does work, but suffers from intermittent dropouts. Focusrite at least acknowledged that they don't have anything zen3 to test with and are mainly focusing on M1 support at this time...

5950x Win11 (Awesome!)
3x 7980xe hacks with Catalina
36TB server 10Gbe network
HDSPe MADI in TB enclosure (2), Focusrite Red8Pre (2), Quantum, Studio 192
S1 Pro, PT|Ultimate, Logic, Ableton, Wavelab
Console1, Avid Artist Mix and Dock, Kontrol 88 and 69mkii.
by ryanconway1 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:36 am
reggie1979beatz wroteOk, I found this:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43513231

And it kinda confirms what many have said.

My cpu is excellent, my SSD is excellent, my ram is more than good enough but the graphics card stinks :lol:

So the top score is UFO and mine is battleship of desktop PC. So I'm back to being scared that spending money will simply result in not really what I'm after.

Actually what one member said is true. The i5 with the higher clock speed seems to be the best way to go. Considering that AMD is at least partially known not to do well with low latency, the question becomes one of chance. Will an i5 at 4.1ghz be enough of performance boost (6 cores/ 12 with hyperthreading which is a debatable subject) but the i5 is in UFO space (102% vs mine with I believe is 87%)

On the other hand, it's been 7 or 8 years. The 4770k was the shining star back in those days. There is a side to me that says "buy now and have something that will work longer than this" , I dunno.

Anyways, I'll most certainly be spending WAY less money than I thought no matter.

Synthetic benchmarks like that are more or less useless for daw performance. There is typically some degree of scaling, but you can not expect 1:1 scaling especially in low latency performance.

Just to note that Zen 3 is miles away the best low latency performer I have used- the newest intel stuff I have is 8700k and 7980xe and the 5950x is on the order 3-4x more capable in low latency performance.

Can you identify specifically what area of performance you are looking to upgrade? IE if you are running into a wall with large projects, you may need a processor with more cores. If it's ZLM and overall tracking performance you need not only single core performance, but a processor that does better in that area by design...

5950x Win11 (Awesome!)
3x 7980xe hacks with Catalina
36TB server 10Gbe network
HDSPe MADI in TB enclosure (2), Focusrite Red8Pre (2), Quantum, Studio 192
S1 Pro, PT|Ultimate, Logic, Ableton, Wavelab
Console1, Avid Artist Mix and Dock, Kontrol 88 and 69mkii.
by Lokeyfly on Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:43 am
ryanconway1 wrote: " Can you identify specifically what area of performance you are looking to upgrade? IE if you are running into a wall with large projects, you may need a processor with more cores. If it's ZLM and overall tracking performance you need not only single core performance, but a processor that does better in that area by design..."

Judging by the degree of detail in this thread so far, he just needs about four more pages is all.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:55 am
????

Bye......:roll:
by PreAl on Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:25 am
Maybe five ;)

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by reggie1979beatz on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:18 pm
You know what, I am an adult (unlike so so many others) and I value my money. I'm sorry that I wasted your precious time asking very intelligent and thoughtful questions that ruined your precious forum, but I actually take this seriously.

I'm not interested in wasting my money on something that won't do me any good. HOWEVER, Studio One IS my DAW of choice. It seemed logical to ask questions and have a discussion here. Obviously, I'm not welcome in the sandbox.

Anyways, over and out. I've put my time in here trying to be considerate and honest. Clearly that is not what the bullies want.

by Bbd on Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:44 pm
Let's tone it down a bit. Everyone has a right to their opinion as long as it stays on topic and is respectful.
Please don't hi-jack the ops topic.
Thanks.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:13 pm
Anyways, I'll make this quick just in case someone else is in the same boat and wants to know.

What I ended up with is an i5 11600k. The ram is a little more (32 gigs) but overall not much in the way of parts changed (another SSD drive, same thing with doze, etc.

Here is what changed.

Things load faster for the most part. I use several 3rd party vst's and it's a bit snappier. Obviously S1 things load super fast. Softube is a still a little slow.

Also, things that didn't necessarily work really well do now for the most part. (I wish I could say that about logging onto sphere/forum, etc lol) A lot less compatibility issues. I did a clean install on my old computer before getting this one set up and it still was iffy at times. Not sure I can explain that one.

Performance is a bit harder to describe. DAW's basically still rely heavily on the first core. That performance is better, but not earth-shattering (as was expected) But, If I raise my buffer from 64 to 128, I get about the same latency, but "better" performance. Again, I have no logical explanation for this but it is what it is.

The ONLY issue I had setting this up was how terribly slow getting things from the site (soundsets, etc) and I don't have fiber. Logging on to presonus sphere and such is a PAINSTAKING process vs. other sites. Something is up with that. But I digress, that is for another subject.

Anyways, again, this is simply an update to say I did it, it's mostly great, It's not this overwhelming performance difference but it's new and should last. The other was 8 years old and I was worried it was long in the tooth durability wise. Signing off again........

by Vocalpoint on Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:12 pm
reggie1979beatz wrote Performance is a bit harder to describe. DAW's basically still rely heavily on the first core. That performance is better, but not earth-shattering (as was expected) But, If I raise my buffer from 64 to 128, I get about the same latency, but "better" performance. Again, I have no logical explanation for this but it is what it is.

Congrats on the build - and yes - do not be disappointed if you were expecting a 12 fold increase in performance by thinking that what was hot 8 years ago should be 8 or 12 times hotter with today's new hardware. As you can see - performance is subjective and very very slightly incremental.

Also - S1 is a primarily a one core pony as are most apps - so an 6 or 8 core CPU will not result in all cores being used.

Just let that build settle in and get back to getting better at S1 - good luck!

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM

69 postsPage 4 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4