21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Is anyone using one? What are you using it for? Mixing page? Control effects plugins? Editing?

What brand? How much should I pay for a good one?

Regrets? Better to use mouse?
by mycbeats on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:21 pm
I own a couple Acer t232hl. They're 10-point-multitouch and have a single pane of glass that extends beyond the bezel (like a tablet). The downside is that they are REALLY reflective, so if they're tilted up they will reflect your ceiling lights.

I use them in all aspects of S1 and daily computer tasks.
In general I think its nice to have an alternate input method for when your hands are tired of a keyboard and mouse.

There is one feature with regards to S1's multitouch support that is lacking - there is no "fine control" when holding a modifier key and using touch say on plugins or the mixer like there is with a mouse. Most 3rd party plugins support this but native Presonus does not.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by brent mosher on Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:21 am
mycbeats wroteI own a couple Acer t232hl. They're 10-point-multitouch and have a single pane of glass that extends beyond the bezel (like a tablet). The downside is that they are REALLY reflective, so if they're tilted up they will reflect your ceiling lights.

In general I think its nice to have an alternate input method for when your hands are tired of a keyboard and mouse.

There is one feature with regards to S1's multitouch support that is lacking - there is no "fine control" when holding a modifier key and using touch say on plugins or the mixer like there is with a mouse. Most 3rd party plugins support this but native Presonus does not.

Thanks for the reply. I read in the reviews for this one for it to work with W10 you just use a USB cable? Is that correct. Otherwise looks like a good choice.
by brent mosher on Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:31 am
Also how does it work with third party fx and instruments? NI? Spectrasonics?
by mycbeats on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:39 am
All third party plugins are supported by touch, but not necessarily multi-touch.
ie native plugins, you can grab up to 10 knobs at a time. third party just one at a time. But with 3rd party, like for Omnisphere, if you hold shift you get a finer resolution over your touch gestures, which native plugins (frustratingly) don't do.

And yes, you plug a video cable and a USB cable for touch. As an added bonus the Acer can serve as a 3 port USB hub.

Toronto, Canada

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

by mycbeats on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:43 am
After plugged in, in Windows Search type "Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input" and run the setup to tell Windows which of your monitor(s) is touch enabled. And if you have multiple touch screens like I do this will make sure the touches reference the corresponding display.

Toronto, Canada

by brent mosher on Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:10 am
Thanks for the info. Will decide in a day or two whether to get one. Still researching.
by brent mosher on Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:34 am
Was price the only thing stopping you from getting the 27" version?
by mycbeats on Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:39 am
I believe theres two versions of the 27" one thats 1080p for $100 more and one thats 1440p thats double the price. Both of which are somewhat rare to even be found.

I also wanted 3 separate monitor for mixer, plugins, editor respectively, with a large 4k dedicated to the timeline. 3 x 27" in both height and width would not work for my set up.

Toronto, Canada

by brent mosher on Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:18 pm
mycbeats wroteI believe theres two versions of the 27" one thats 1080p for $100 more and one thats 1440p thats double the price. Both of which are somewhat rare to even be found.

I also wanted 3 separate monitor for mixer, plugins, editor respectively, with a large 4k dedicated to the timeline. 3 x 27" in both height and width would not work for my set up.

Thanks again. Yes the expensive 27" model is not available. The cheaper one isn't on the website at all (Staples).

I ordered the 23" that you have. Found a review by another DAW user and he was enthusiastic about his workflow improvements. Plus this YT video:
phpBB [video]

Staples has a good return policy so might as well try it out. I hardly ever use The Orb in Omnisphere because mousing it is a pain. Hoping that and a few other things will improved with touch control.
by brettgoodkin on Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:45 am
I have the 27” acer

They have a refurbished store on Amazon btw

Anyhoo.. it’s a great unit...

https://soundcloud.com/brotherbrim/sets ... ernational

win 11 pro... S1 pro latest version... 64 bits... Rme latest drivers... All the ram and i9 3900k monster...
by thomashoward on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:52 am
I'm sure its been talked about but feature request for SO5 pro touch friendly console GUI sizing.
Scroll bars option to increase size.. current size is to small even for a mouse at times..
fader sizing to be slightly fatter.. current standard size is okay.
tabs.. like plugin tabs, sends and instrument tabs to increase in size..
almost like an old persons mode or Fat Homer mode for buttons would be great for a touch monitor..
by graytermedia on Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:18 am
We bought Slate Raven's at the office after our old Pro Tools hardware controllers died. Took me a while to get used to using a touch screen, but now I love it. I use the Raven with Pro Tools, but found there is some limited control with S1. You have to buy the "Slate package" for finer control and macros.

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by mycbeats on Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:30 am
graytermedia wroteWe bought Slate Raven's at the office after our old Pro Tools hardware controllers died. Took me a while to get used to using a touch screen, but now I love it. I use the Raven with Pro Tools, but found there is some limited control with S1. You have to buy the "Slate package" for finer control and macros.

tg

For DAWs that don't support multitouch like Pro Tools, Raven software is a must.
Studio One which bragged about being the first multitouch DAW back at the launch of Windows 10 and Studio One 3, then proceeded to fall behind the pack.

Once fine control is added, it will have the same functionality as a Raven but with any touch screen.

Toronto, Canada

by Daw Stew on Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:42 am
I have the Acer 27 inch version which is 1080p. Personally i am not convinced that touch screen is the way to go. The main pitfall is you don't know exactly what you are touching until you attempt to touch it. With a mouse you see the cursor move across the screen until you arrive at where you want to be. You don't get that with a touch screen as it doesn't know where your finger is until you make contact.
Its useful for fader moves but for editing and fine control its a no no from me.
i tend to prefer the Faderport in combination which works fairly well
by Lokeyfly on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:29 am
mycbeats wroteI own a couple Acer t232hl. They're 10-point-multitouch and have a single pane of glass that extends beyond the bezel (like a tablet). The downside is that they are REALLY reflective, so if they're tilted up they will reflect your ceiling lights.

Nice choice! I'm eyeing that t272hl 27" version. I like the full glass tablet design. Thank you, mycbeats. Something I was looking for but hadn't researched yet. I think that particular Acer is the standard I'll go by.

Now if only we could get fine control adjustment!

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Lokeyfly on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:03 am
Daw Stew wroteI have the Acer 27 inch version which is 1080p. Personally i am not convinced that touch screen is the way to go. The main pitfall is you don't know exactly what you are touching until you attempt to touch it. With a mouse you see the cursor move across the screen until you arrive at where you want to be. You don't get that with a touch screen as it doesn't know where your finger is until you make contact.
Its useful for fader moves but for editing and fine control its a no no from me.
i tend to prefer the Faderport in combination which works fairly well

Thx Stew. I suspect it's a matter of gestures. If the area to control is small, then zooming by using two fingers first would work, but as you say, the mouse for such uses is more direct. Appreciate the awareness and feedback.
TY to the OP for bringing this up. Not sure it's my next investment, but sales do happen, and good to be ready when they do.

I've used the Slate Raven II, for both Mac (with Pro Tools), and PC (with Studio One), and have mixed opinions on the UI between each of those. Buying a touchscreen monitor largely gives you all one needs, and is way less $$$ to shell out.
Peace. out.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by brent mosher on Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:27 pm
So I got it set up. Initial thoughts: All in all a plus. I'm way more inclined to reach out and touch the screen to move knobs than I ever was with the mouse. A much more enjoyable experience. I can see I'll be doing more preset tweaking than ever. Some instruments respond better than others. Massive X seems pretty bad but most other NI instruments and fx seem good. Softube seems so-so. Omnisphere is good. Haven't done much editing with it but I can see where fine tuning could be easier with the mouse. Glad I got it. Have to learn it's strengths and weaknesses and hope for improved touch functionality from the various companies.

I'll post again in a few days with a picture and some more thoughts. I'm getting a new desk and will show my new setup.

I'll probably sell my VB3 hardware drawbar controller and recoup some of the expense. Don't think I need it anymore.

Also, how do you get the support arm to lie flat? I took it out of the box and it just sprung out and I can't figure out how to get it to set flat again. No big deal as I'll use the 30 degree setting, but it would be nice to know if I ever need to move it.
by Sidhu on Tue May 11, 2021 5:13 pm
Hey Brent!
How are.you getting along with your touch screen ? I have a spare dell that I'm waiting to get down from work for my home setup, and I remember the publicity of S3 being touch compatible, but that review from 3 yes ago is disappointing. Any improvements with 5.2.1 ?
And the size of the mixer panel buttons....

Top of my head system specs, upgrades due.
Workstation : Intel i7 3820 || DX79TO, 16gig RAM || GT710 Graphics || M-audio FW1820 / Presonus SL24 (1st gen) interface

Portable : HP Elitebook 8460p, 8gig Ram, 256GB SSD OS, 1TB 7200 upgrade bay, Intel i5 2520m
Focusrite Scarlet 4i4 3rd gen / MOTU microbook II

S1 v5.2 / Waves v9 plugins
by brent mosher on Sun May 16, 2021 7:00 am
I don't have S1 V5, still on 4.6 so can't speak to any improvemnts. As mentioned, for editing touch screen is pretty useless. Way too small and the gesturing is hit and miss, mostly miss. And slower than a mouse.

I use it to move the faders on the mix screen, but just for rough adjustments as there is no fine control in 4.6. Mostly I use it for control of instruments. Here again it's hit and miss as some vst's are responsive, others not so much.

It's nice to have the two screens, and the low profile of the touch screen keeps it out of the way of my speakers. The only real practical use I've found for it is with fx and instruments and general fader moves. I kept my VB3 hardware controller.

One thing that's very important is where you place the monitor. It has to be very close to you physically or arm strain makes it not pleasant to use.

All in all I'm glad I got it. Getting something like the FP8 or 16 wouldn't help with fx or instrument manipulation. I might get the FP1 at some point or a similar fader controller. I've been hesitant because the only thing I really need one for is the fader and $300 is alot for a physical fader.

Touch would be more useful of companies would design their software to take advantage of it, but there doesn't seem to be much interst. Mice rule I guess.

21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2