12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm using newest version Studio One Pro 5.1.2.62686 on Mac Pro 2019 ,OS 10.15.7.

So, I could not set off line bounce , when I made AUX track for external device.
For now, the only way to avoid this is to remove the AUX track or set the output of the AUX track and the output of the send FX set on the AUX track to something other than 1-2.

I've never heard of Pro Tools, Logic, or Cubase also having AUX tracks but forcing real-time bounces.

Is there any efficient way?
by robertgray3 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:54 am
What do you mean by Bounce? Do you mean when you Export Mixdown/Stems (that's what I assume since you mentioned "off line bounce")? Bounce the AUX channel? Bounce an unrelated channel?

If you're talking about the first two (Export Mixdown or Bouncing the AUX channel), it has to be real-time because AUX channels monitor the live input only. There would be no other way to get representative audio from that channel.

Other DAWs have the ability to get around this (no off-line bounce of live monitored sources) with a sort of "updating" system built in I believe where you can periodically "freeze" the AUX channel. It's been a while since I used any of those DAWs and you may use them more than I do so I may be misremembering it, but does that sound familiar at all?

Also, remember, in other DAWs they're usually called "External Instrument Tracks" or something similar. It's a little confusing but "Aux" channels in other DAWs or most pieces of audio equipment are not the same thing as "Aux" channels in S1.

If you're talking about bouncing a completely unrelated channel (re: not an AUX track) and it having to be in real-time, that doesn't sound correct as I use Aux channels a lot and haven't had that issue.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Jemusic on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:49 pm
The moment you connect any external synth to any DAW, you have to render any midi parts being sent to that machine into audio first and it has to be real time while that process is being done. Once that audio is made then you can bounce internally at high speed.

Or you can do a mixdown in real time and let the synth play in real time and bring that signal into the final mix while you are mixing down.

External synths can not be told to play at high speeds during off line bounces. Internal or virtual synths can be bounced fast off line though.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by robertgray3 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:04 pm
Jemusic wroteExternal synths can not be told to play at high speeds during off line bounces. Internal or virtual synths can be bounced fast off line though.

I don't think that's what the OP is asking for- I can't find the freeze versioning info in the Logic manual so let's just focus on the basics of Offline bouncing with External Instruments in the song. OP asked (paraphrasing) "why is S1 performing differently than the other DAWs"- one of the reasons in regards to Logic is:

In Logic "external MIDI tracks and audio channel inputs are deactivated during offline bounces." This means you can Bounce In Place External Midi Tracks (in real time, obviously), then once the audio is there simply leave External Midi Tracks in the song and you can render Offline.

In Studio One they have not added any behavior like this so if any AUX channel is present in any song, all Mixdowns will be Realtime and you have no option to circumvent it aside from completely removing the Aux channels. Even deactivating them doesn't do it.

Nobody's asking to defy the laws of physics, but I don't like how having an External Instrument forces Realtime bounces rather than just ignoring the External Instruments like other programs do.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Jemusic on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:59 pm
Ok I get what are saying Robert. The fact an AUX channel prevents fast bouncing even if it is not being used. That is good to know actually. That could catch you out! Although some people actually wonder why an external synth cannot be bounced fast also.

I don't use AUX channels at all. I have quite a few external synths and I mix them all separately and feed that mix direct into my main mixer so those sounds don't go near Studio One at all. I can send them though to my audio interface for rendering easily. Its really the best way to do it.

Aux channels are good for those with one or two synths maybe.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by robertgray3 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:28 pm
Jemusic wroteAux channels are good for those with one or two synths maybe.

I have about 5 synths and I like Aux channels because I can drag a midi part to the track, CMD+B, and it will bounce just that selection to a new audio event on a new track in real time. After which you can remove the original track.

To the OP: This may be a workaround you like for this, as it's faster than bouncing a stem of the whole song if you're only using an Ext instrument for a few events here and then.

I've got multiple aux channels in my standard template but remove them the first time I need to Export a Mixdown. If I haven't committed those to audio by the time I'm doing my first mixdown, then having offline renders is more important for me than saving the time of dragging new External instruments in.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by SwitchBack on Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:17 pm
After explaining auxes for bringing in external instruments and before reminding users that running external audio sources makes everything switch to real-time the S1 Reference Manual volunteers: "Note that different versions of the Audio I/O setup can be saved for different use cases." Importing I/O configurations could be that quick way to insert/remove those aux channels, right?
by robertgray3 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:46 pm
Even an unassigned aux channel (input set to “None”) forces a real time export.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by landscape01 on Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:35 am
What I wanted to say is exactly what you wrote. During mixdown, real-time mixdown is forced as long as the AUX track is present, even if it is no longer in use. I don't like it.
I checked with Presonus and unfortunately this seems to be a spec.

robertgray3 wrote
Jemusic wroteExternal synths can not be told to play at high speeds during off line bounces. Internal or virtual synths can be bounced fast off line though.

I don't think that's what the OP is asking for- I can't find the freeze versioning info in the Logic manual so let's just focus on the basics of Offline bouncing with External Instruments in the song. OP asked (paraphrasing) "why is S1 performing differently than the other DAWs"- one of the reasons in regards to Logic is:

In Logic "external MIDI tracks and audio channel inputs are deactivated during offline bounces." This means you can Bounce In Place External Midi Tracks (in real time, obviously), then once the audio is there simply leave External Midi Tracks in the song and you can render Offline.

In Studio One they have not added any behavior like this so if any AUX channel is present in any song, all Mixdowns will be Realtime and you have no option to circumvent it aside from completely removing the Aux channels. Even deactivating them doesn't do it.

Nobody's asking to defy the laws of physics, but I don't like how having an External Instrument forces Realtime bounces rather than just ignoring the External Instruments like other programs do.
by SwitchBack on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:06 am
You’d want an Aux channel disable similar to track disable. I think there’s a feature request in it.
by joshueoconnor on Tue May 24, 2022 3:22 pm
Hi all,

I also find this very messy, as I can't bounce orchestral instruments (they play short) in real time. I ended up routing audio into Audio Highjack, after not being able to slave another DAW to Studio One successfully, I tried Luna but it was a mess.

In the end I found this tip helpful (and a related video from Gregor, which is helpful)*but* none of my mix effects printed.

I don't like having to create a dangling aux track, just to turn on a 'real time' bounce. This seems like a good feature to me.

As an aside, I really like Studio One, am moving to it from Logic for my orchestral arrangements.

Ta

Josh

[1] https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... Pro-Tools-
by joshueoconnor on Thu May 26, 2022 4:09 am
Just as an update, there are so many nice features in Studio One, but you sometimes have to be shown, or dig to find them. I found the 'Transform to audio track' feature - if you right click on your midi track. It will do a sort of render in place, and remove the instrument, replacing the track with rendered audio. Looks promising, if you have got all your midi events, instrument settings and automation in place.

Actually, I doin't know if it will print the automation etc but will find out :thumbup:

12 posts
Page 1 of 1