5 posts
Page 1 of 1
After updating my Studio One installation to 2.6.5.30360 on OSX for 64 bit mac I can not record any input from my virtual instruments to my tracks.

Let me try to explain to help you reproduce:
  1. Press T to add a new instrument track
  2. Accept the default values, but choose Type "Instrument"
  3. Drag and drop a Presence instrument (i.e. "303 Bass") from the Browser | Instruments window on to the new track. The track changes the instrument name to "Presence" and the instrument pops up as normal.
  4. Playing notes on the virtual keyboard works as normal. There is sound coming from the speakers, input signal visible on the channel in the mixer, but no reaction from the track indicator (vertical green indicator on the track in the main window) and evidently nothing being recorded when the track is set to record.

This only seems to apply to virtual instruments tracks. I have no trouble for audio tracks.

What should I be looking at to solve this? This has never been like this before. I can't remember it being like this before I updated, but I can't be sure since I don't often add virtual instruments.
I should also point out that I recently added a PreSonus Faderport to my setup. Not sure if that is relevant, but I see that it is using MIDI.

Anybody able to help?

Regards
Lee Francis Wilhelmsen
by sunmachine on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:15 pm
You can't record what you're playing on Presence's virtual keyboard (IIRC).
So did you also try to record MIDI data with a hardware controller keyboard or with the Qwerty keyboard that comes with Studio One?

Sonic Core XITE-1 SCOPE DSP Platform ~ Windows 7 Pro 64-bit@Mac Mini i7 (Late 2012) ~ Studio One Professional 2.6
RME Fireface UCX ~ OS X 10.9.5@MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) ~ Studio One Professional 2.6

--
Try FastMail for better email!
by leefw on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:15 am
Thanks for pointing that out to me.

I actually did start by trying to capture MIDI input from my Akai MPD18, but got no signal in to the track (can confirm that Studio One was receiving the MIDI).

I was in the process of trying to pinpoint the error when I came across the scenario which got me curious and the reason I posted my original forum posting. I'm kind of glad to hear that I misunderstood how the virtual instruments work, but I'm back to square one.

I will connect a different MIDI controller later today and see if I have more luck. The MPD18 has been a bit unstable lately. I'm actually worried that the use of the Faderport is causing some USB bus trouble given that it is a USB 1.1 device, but as I mentioned, I can see that Studio One is receiving MIDI input so my problem seems to be between the MIDI input to Studio One and the instrument tracks.

Thanks for your input.
by matthewgorman on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:42 am
If S1 is receiving the midi, it may be as simple as selecting that keyboard in the VI gui as the default input. That and make sure the track is record enabled.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by themaartian on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:07 pm
leefw wrote... The MPD18 has been a bit unstable lately. I'm actually worried that the use of the Faderport is causing some USB bus trouble given that it is a USB 1.1 device, but as I mentioned, I can see that Studio One is receiving MIDI input so my problem seems to be between the MIDI input to Studio One and the instrument track.

This one has bitten me before. You seem aware of the fact, but just in case not...

Plugging a USB 1.1 device into a USB 2 port will bring the entire USB hub down to 1.1 speeds. If you have 2 or more USB ports on your computer, they'll all run at 1.1 when your MPD18 is plugged in. If you have an audio i/f (like a PreSonus USB-series AudioBox), you're going to have significant problems with your ASIO audio feed.

Been there. Done that. Didn't even get a T-shirt. :roll:

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro

5 posts
Page 1 of 1