213 postsPage 1 of 11
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11
Since version 5.1, I have frequently experienced Studio One becoming frozen (unresponsive), and the only fix I found was to force close the application through Task Manager. This is still happening on 5.1.1, and I'm on Windows 10. I'm sure it's not my plugins as it can happen in a completely empty project as well as projects that only use stock plugins. My PC is very capable of running other DAWs and even had no issues with Studio One prior to the 5.1 update. I hope this is fixed soon, since Studio One in its current state is unusable for me.
by firegs on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:53 pm
Same thing happening to me. Seems to be related to Waves plugins for me. I don't know what's happening, but sometimes now, I cannot load a project. The project loads, if I immediately hit play, I hear audio, but then the Program completely freezes with audio still playing. Can't stop it. My Faderport 16 kicks off and says "waiting for host". This is ridiculous. I have hundreds of plugins, and support told me to disable them one by one. Riiiight.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 9 3950x, 128GB RAM, Studio One 6.1.1, Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
by robertgray3 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:15 pm
Not sure if it's related but some songs of mine in 5.1.1 seem to freeze a lot if I:

a) Drag and Drop Inserts While the song is Playing

b) Change Presets while a plugin GUI is open and the song is playing

Audio keeps playing, display freezes. Any plugin seems to cause it. I've seen many stock plugins do it (Pro EQ2 mostly, but maybe that's because I use it the most). Spindumps in Mac Activity Monitor don't yield any data.

I'm suspecting it's some combination of things since it only happens in a couple songs. The fact that it's happening with stock plugins too indicates that it could be something going on with plugins in general rather than a specific manufacturer (perhaps related to their GUIs). I usually start the search for a culprit with Soundtoys and Waves since they update so infrequently but none of the ST/Waves ones in these songs are ones that don't work problem-free in other songs.

I use a Faderport 2018, not sure how that would affect anything though.

Only a few songs and honestly haven't seen it much, but maybe that data helps you all.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by alexgonthier on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:58 pm
robertgray3 wroteNot sure if it's related but some songs of mine in 5.1.1 seem to freeze a lot if I:

a) Drag and Drop Inserts While the song is Playing

b) Change Presets while a plugin GUI is open and the song is playing

Audio keeps playing, display freezes. Any plugin seems to cause it. I've seen many stock plugins do it (Pro EQ2 mostly, but maybe that's because I use it the most). Spindumps in Mac Activity Monitor don't yield any data.

I'm suspecting it's some combination of things since it only happens in a couple songs. The fact that it's happening with stock plugins too indicates that it could be something going on with plugins in general rather than a specific manufacturer (perhaps related to their GUIs). I usually start the search for a culprit with Soundtoys and Waves since they update so infrequently but none of the ST/Waves ones in these songs are ones that don't work problem-free in other songs.

I use a Faderport 2018, not sure how that would affect anything though.

Only a few songs and honestly haven't seen it much, but maybe that data helps you all.

Yeah for me it seems it doesn't matter whether the plugins are stock or 3rd party, and I've even had it happen in projects that were all audio tracks with no plugins loaded (something I tried to see if I could figure out a culprit). As you stated, if there happens to be audio playing when the freeze occurs, the audio plays as it should, but the UI completely freezes up and task manager shows the application as "not responding". If I have a MIDI track with an instrument armed for recording I can actually still play the patch on my MIDI controller while it's frozen. It's pretty strange, and I have no clue as to what could be causing it.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.01 GHz
RAM: 24 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 780
Interface: RME Babyface Pro
MIDI Controllers: Nektar LX25+, Presonus Atom
by PreAl on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:51 am
Unplug any unnecessary hardware in order to rule it out (e.g. faderport). Check windows event viewer if windows.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by firegs on Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:29 am
Only recently got my faderport, however I've been using an ioStatio. As my main audio interface. Happened with that device, too. Can't unplug that..

Windows 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 9 3950x, 128GB RAM, Studio One 6.1.1, Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
by PreAl on Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:37 am
firegs wroteOnly recently got my faderport, however I've been using an ioStatio. As my main audio interface. Happened with that device, too. Can't unplug that..

Well obviously try without fader port.
When it freezes you can also try unplugging things to see if it stops freezing (I assume the app is freezing not windows).

In regards to the iostation...
Make sure you aren't running asio4all or other virtual drivers (such as asio driver that comes with cubase). If so fully uninstall.

You could also try completely uninstalling your audio interface drivers (universal control I guess), reboot and then install again (latest). Do not just do a reinstall.

Also try another USB socket.

And you could perhaps try disabling / temporarily removing antivirus.

I assume windows update is up to date (assuming it's windows, is it possible you can update your signature with your specs please).

If you think it's a plugin then as has already been mentioned, you need to disable suspect plugins one by one to rule it out. Obviously make sure they are up to date as well.

Thx.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by firegs on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:01 am
So, I played a track. As soon as I played it, Studio One froze but I could continue to hear audio. My Faderport 16 was powered off before opening Studio One. As soon as it froze, i turned off the ioStation. Waited, turned it back on. I could hear Windows sounds, but nothing from the still frozen Studio One.

I dont understand how all of my plugins can work 100% fine with other DAW's but have problems in Studio One. Makes zero sense to me if we have to blame a perfectly working plugin and not Studio One.

by firegs on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:19 am
OK, I've narrowed it down, sort of. If I removed all of Waves and all of FabFilters, the problem goes away. If I reintroduce either of those, the freeze happens. Then again, those were the only plugins I was using on the project. Sooooo, I don't think this is a plugin issue, but a broader Studio One issue. Basically, if you disable VST2.4 and 3 support in settings, the problem goes away.

by PreAl on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:44 am
firegs wroteOK, I've narrowed it down, sort of. If I removed all of Waves and all of FabFilters, the problem goes away. If I reintroduce either of those, the freeze happens. Then again, those were the only plugins I was using on the project. Sooooo, I don't think this is a plugin issue, but a broader Studio One issue. Basically, if you disable VST2.4 and 3 support in settings, the problem goes away.

It's most likely a dodgy plugin somewhere, so you need to go through and rule each one out. Make sure Waves and Fabfilter are updated your latest available versions.

by firegs on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:45 am
How can you blame the plugin when those exact plugins work perfectly fine in Cubase, Sonar, Waveform, etc?

And exactly what good does disabling plugins that I want to use, or have used so far on a mix. It doesn't actually fix the issue, and doesn't allow me to continue working either, as now my mix is completely wrong.
Last edited by firegs on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

by PreAl on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:50 am
firegs wroteHow can you blame the plugin when those exact plugins work perfectly fine in Cubase, Sonar, Waveform, etc?

I can't and I haven't. I don't know, I merely said it's most likely. This isn't an unusual scenario.

You will still need to find out if it is a specific plugin or not if you want the issue fixed. You can't jump to any conclusions just because it's working in other DAWs.

by firegs on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:53 am
The problem is that you can't just remove a single Waves plugin, there's just the WavesShell DLL files which load all of the rest of them.

by firegs on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:56 am
PreAl wrote
firegs wroteHow can you blame the plugin when those exact plugins work perfectly fine in Cubase, Sonar, Waveform, etc?

I can't and I haven't. I don't know, I merely said it's most likely. This isn't an unusual scenario.

You will still need to find out if it is a specific plugin or not if you want the issue fixed. You can't jump to any conclusions just because it's working in other DAWs.

So I've disabled the ONE FabFilter (Pro-Q2), and Waves, and the issue is gone. If I add back Waves, its back. If I remove Waves and add back Pro-Q2, the problem is back. Both of the plugins are fully updated, and work fine in any other DAW. What can I do with this information?

by firegs on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:05 am
The additional reason I believe this is a program error and not a plugin issue is because of how the failure happens. The program immediately goes into "Not Responding" in task manager, and it resets the Faderport 16. I've never known a plugin to affect a DAW like that - and I'm sure the OP and others are having issue with other plugins also. OP mentioned instrument VSTs and not effects VSTs, another person mentioned stock Presonus effects - so if the issue isnt any specific plugin, one would have to assume that the issue is higher up in the chain (i.e., the DAW).

by shanabit on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:22 am
firegs wroteThe problem is that you can't just remove a single Waves plugin, there's just the WavesShell DLL files which load all of the rest of them.

1. THIS is not true. The WAVESHELL is the one in the plugins folder that points to the VST Plugins folder that contains ALL of the WAVEs plugins. They are actually located inside the WAVES folder. As you stated the WAVESHELL is the only one in the VST Plugins folder itself.

I do this here all the time. You can drag them all out to your desktop and put one at a time back into the folder whilst you are trouble shooting.

2. What version of WAVES are you using?
https://www.waves.com/support/tech-spec ... version-12
Version 12 plugins per WAVES needs Studio One Professional 5 (VST3)
Version 11 plugins per WAVES needs Studio One Professional 4 (VST3)
Version10 plugins per WAVES needs Studio One Professional 3, 4 (VST3)

3. StudioOne5 JUST got the 5.1.1 update so that could be the issue as waves may need a WAVESHELL update"

4."" How can you blame the plugin when those exact plugins work perfectly fine in Cubase, Sonar, Waveform, etc"? Just because the plugin works in OTHER DAWS does NOT mean that the coding for that plugin will work in all of them. An update for the plugin and the DAW both may be needed. THis is NOT uncommon bro
Last edited by shanabit on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by firegs on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:27 am
Interesting. I have Waveshell 10, 11, and 12. I was originally using VST3 plugins, but had the issue. I disabled VST3 support altogether and opted to use VST 2.4 for everything, Waves included, and it worked for a while (day or three), and now the issue is happening again with VST2.4 versions. However, right now, I have all waves removed, and the issue persists - so I'm starting to think this is not specifically a Waves issue.

by PreAl on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:30 am
firegs wrote
So I've disabled the ONE FabFilter (Pro-Q2), and Waves, and the issue is gone. If I add back Waves, its back. If I remove Waves and add back Pro-Q2, the problem is back. Both of the plugins are fully updated, and work fine in any other DAW. What can I do with this information?

You now have enough detailed information to create a ticket with Fabfilter and Presonus.

Others with ONE Fabfilter may confirm the issue, if you list your specs in the signature further comparisons can be made.

Edit - oh sorry you've yet to rule out waves plugins I see.

by firegs on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:32 am
If I remove Waves altogether and the issue persists, can Waves not be ruled out?

by shanabit on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:34 am
Take out FabFilter and see if the issue goes away. If it goes away then its FabFilter and you need to do a ticket with FabFilter and Presonus, they both could be at fault. IF other W10 users have the SAME issue then you gettin hot , if not then its unlikely FabFilter plugins.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013

213 postsPage 1 of 11
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11