45 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
I'm working in a session (Studio One 4) that I haven't looked at in a few years. Even when I mute every track in console, several ghost tracks continue to play. These ghost tracks play even though the Main volume is reduced to zero.

I'm at a complete loss as to what may be happening. None of the existing tracks use sends, it's a pretty vanilla setup.

Where could this "invisible"/"ghost" track audio be coming from?

Studio One 5.1 on Windows 10 x64 (i7 processor, 16gb RAM)
FP10 FireWire
Kurzweil SP76 digital piano / MIDI controller
Akai MPD24 pad control
by Adria S. on Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:44 pm
Here's a demonstration of the issue:

phpBB [video]

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control
by robertgray3 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:42 pm
Would you happen to be using the “Crosstalk” function in Console Shaper or CTC-1 MixFX?

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Adria S. on Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:55 pm
I've actually never used that tool yet

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control
by Villi on Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:46 am
You don't show the console, are you sure you don't have a cue mix? Try to select the left edge of the main channel in the console and drag to the left to see if you have more output channels enabled.
by Lokeyfly on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:44 am
Adria S. wroteI'm working in a session (Studio One 4) that I haven't looked at in a few years. Even when I mute every track in console, several ghost tracks continue to play. These ghost tracks play even though the Main volume is reduced to zero.

I'm at a complete loss as to what may be happening. None of the existing tracks use sends, it's a pretty vanilla setup.

Where could this "invisible"/"ghost" track audio be coming from?

Hi Adria, thinking this could be another track hidden and not the one that you are showing. Possible a duplicate of it though. Just a hunch.

You can try two things to locate the sound. For starters let's call the mixer having channels, not tracks for clarity, as tracks are part of the arrangement and can differ from mixer channels based on assignment.

First. By opening the tracks at the top left of the arrangement view (horizontal lines), you can view what will most likely be a turned off track. Click those dots to reveal (ooen) any potential hidden track playing the sound that can't be found. For audio the tracks column also reveals a tiny signal meter as well. Also if necessary, use the arrow symbols to open any sub folders.

A second way if the ghost tracks apply to MIDI or an instrument is while the mixer is open, open the instruments tab at left to reveal those instruments. You can turn on/off those instruments which should hopefully find the ghost track you're hearing. Oh yeah, for audio or instrument issues, also open any hidden mixer channels using the same horizontal lines icon located at the mixer (left). You may have that channel turned off as well. That will open any hidden channels on the mixer.

This happens from time to time usually based on intentionally, or inadvertently hiding a channel or track that has some instance of an audio or instrument track playing, that can't be found.

Hope that helps. It trips me up at times as well. Especially bringing up older songs in work.

As for the main out turned down and still playing that sound, I can only guess a routing issue, and finding what output that hidden channel (still found the same way above) would be.
Hope that helps.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Adria S. on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:43 pm
I wish I had pictures to know where to look for this stuff, I am autistic and a visual based learner.

I tried creating a brand new audio track, then copy/pasted the wavs from the previous track into the new track. Then I deleted the old track.

Same problem. Mute is not recognized. I can however adjust volume of the "ghost" sound, I just can't mute it.

Track 20 is the problem track:
fuuuck.png

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control
by Adria S. on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:54 pm
I've also created a new audio track, and recorded the part again - still same behavior as noted above.

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control
by robertgray3 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:08 pm
I noticed you're using Outputs 7 and 8 for the Main Output.

I'm curious what happens if you create a new Output in your Routing Setup for a different set of hardware outputs then assign one of the problem tracks to that (so in the Console where it says "Main Out" you would select the new one, "Sub Out" or whatever).

That might help narrow some things down.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by sirmonkey on Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:01 pm
I'm stumped for now, and I'm no expert. But, I have a few troubleshooting ideas. From your screenshot, I see that you have used the show/hide function. Open that up, and right click on the problem track, and choose "Disable Track"
If you're still getting the sound, disable the rest of the tracks one by one. * You can disable/enable tracks in the arrangement view, but we're using the "show/hide" feature to make sure that there's nothing hidden from view in the arrangement, yet active.

Just in case you had that open, but don't remember how you opened it, go to about 8:45 in this video:
phpBB [video]

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by Lokeyfly on Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:29 am
That, or what Robert sees using the outputs 7 & 8. You may want to assign alternate outs or mains. Just for weeding out some hidden miss assigned output.

I'm stumped, though another venture I'll use when locating a event that is there but is being problematic is right click on the event. Choose "select in Pool" which opens the audio pool at right and highlights that audio clip. There, look at any neighboring clips (often the same name) which you can also right click to see there position in the arrangement (if there used at all). You can even drag them in to your track, or overnight the one with the problem. It works great as a cross check, and for bad event, delete & replace.

If the track output is assigned elsewhere, your best bet is locating what that is about. Even moving the events to a new track (which the Select in Pool process above will help).

Other than that, I got nuttin'.
Apologies for the long response, and no diagrams. Seems like these last few days has been a wake up to work, sleep, eat on the move, work, affair.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Villi on Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:11 am
Since you demonstrate that the sound is actually coming from the track in question by trimming the clip, I still suspect a hidden output of some sort.

I made a gif showing one way this can happen. Have a look around in those places in the console and the input/output configuration (the button I hover over at the end) to see if you notice anything that can be causing it.

2020-11-13-09-59-00.gif
by Adria S. on Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:10 am
Quick follow up before I get to the studio today, I use outputs 7 ad 8 to feed to an in-studio mixing console.

I'll step through suggestions above and follow up.

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control
by Adria S. on Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:09 pm
ok guys I give up.

Created a new song, copied tracks and reset instruments. It's working as expected with the new song.

Thanks again for all of your help!!!

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control
by Adria S. on Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:15 pm
I'm back. Unfortunately, the ghost sound came back and again, I do not know how to rid myself of it unless I create a new song and manually copy/paste tracks over, recreate all settings in mixer, ect - its a lot.

I paid careful attention but I can assure you I do not have any special routing - this is as basic a setup as can be expected. I can't pinpoint when the ghost track starts. As of my previous post, I had a clean slate. I just noticed the ghost sound last week and have tried everything to pinpoint the issue, to no avail.

I hoped that upgrading to Studio One 5 would help, but it did not - the ghost sound is still present even when that track is muted or I completely delete the existing soundform where the ghost sound is.

Does Presonus offer more tech support than this forum? I feel this is a bug they would want to know about since it is now happening in the new version as well.

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control
by robertgray3 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:51 am
Adria S. wroteDoes Presonus offer more tech support than this forum? I feel this is a bug they would want to know about since it is now happening in the new version as well.

Yes, they do. The official support process is to make a Support Ticket. I believe there's a link to do that at the same page as the Presonus Knowledge Base.

This forum is just for users to talk to other users.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Adria S. on Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:28 pm
I'm really disheartened to find that the ghost tracks are now appearing in Studio One 5. This is on a new song created from scratch in SO5.

I haven't yet submitted a support ticket partly because of their tendency to ask us to post the support issue as a Feature Request and wait on upvotes for them to look at it.

:(

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control
by robertgray3 on Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:45 pm
Adria S. wroteI'm really disheartened to find that the ghost tracks are now appearing in Studio One 5. This is on a new song created from scratch in SO5.

I haven't yet submitted a support ticket partly because of their tendency to ask us to post the support issue as a Feature Request and wait on upvotes for them to look at it.

:(

I have a feeling they wouldn’t ask you to submit this one as a feature request. “Dont play tracks that aren’t engaged” isn’t really a feature :D

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Adria S. on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:38 pm
Submitted a support ticket with provided an entire example song zipped up and saved on Google Drive.

Wish me luck!

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control
by Adria S. on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:48 pm
If anyone here is interested in taking a look, I'll be happy to share the Song zip file.

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control

45 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3