4 posts
Page 1 of 1
This is an odd one for me. I have a Roland Handsonic 10 and I've not used it in a really long time. This is the first I've set it up with Studio One and I've run into an oddity in the recording. Let me see if I can explain it.

The Handsonic records a lot of controller data, pressure, etc to add realism. I have modified the device so that it sends "Controller" data rather than "Pressure" to rule that out as the issue. The results are the same. So it is adding MIDI CC#21 instead of pressure - fine.

Here's the issue. When START the MIDI recording, the cc#21 is at a value of 5 as soon as I press down on that pad (left large front pad). Then I can see the normal curve up and down, then when it settles it stays as it is supposed to be for the rest of the time. If I don't force it to curve up and back to zero it won't start at zero, though it is clearly the "resting point" since it happily returns there every time.

The issue is that this pressure is what "chokes" the conga sounds. So if I don't remember to press down a bit to get that first CC recording to drop to zero, it will be at 5 until I use pressure, where it will return to zero and all of my conga sounds are choked until then.

Hard to explain, but I hope that gets it across. It's almost like S1 is recording the controller at the beginning slightly elevated (value of 5 instead of 0) for some reason.

I have also verified that this same thing does NOT happen on Cakewalk by Bandlab - so it is not a problem with the Handsonic.

Any ideas?

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit & Console 1 with SSL4000e + British Class A..
by Blades on Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:47 pm
Anyone have any thoughts on this. I may not have described the issue well enough. It is definitely an odd one. Would like to get it to work correctly. I may need to do a screen recording to show what I am talking about.

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit & Console 1 with SSL4000e + British Class A..
by Jemusic on Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:06 pm
Well I managed to program the D17 slider on my MAudio Axiom 61 controller to send Midi CC21. With the slider right down it was 0 and fully up 127.

You are correct about this. When I put Studio One into record with the CC21 slider fully down to zero it did in fact start recording it at a value of 5 as you say. If I pushed all the way up to 127 it recorded that and if I pulled all the way down to 0 it recorded it right down to 0 as well. But it wont start recording at 0 though, even if the slider is at 0 and sending 0. So yes there is an issue there.

It does it with the mod wheel as well. Except that it starts a little lower like 3. Also checked on 4.6.2 on my Windows machine and it is the same there. I have beta test reported.

I checked with Ableton Live 10 Suite and it recorded from 0 to 127. If the slider is right down to 0 even before record with Ableton, then it starts recording at 0.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.1 (Mac), Notion 6.7, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Blades on Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:02 pm
@Jemusic - that is awesome. So great that I am not the only one, that I'm not losing my mind, and that it is not just my Handsonic. Honestly, had it been anything else, I might not have noticed it, but in the case of the HS, that little bit of controller basically chokes the sound very obviously - seems like that small amount of 5 shouldn't have that pronounced an effect. Maybe there is a setting for it - not sure. Either way, now that they know that this is a reproducible thing, they'll get it corrected.

Thanks for taking the time to replicate and submit this issue!

Using:

4 posts
Page 1 of 1