8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I’m currently mixing a medley of 4 songs total 13 minutes long. After each session I do a mp3 mix down, which I transfer to Dropbox to listen on other devices.

This normally works fine but for the last two mixdowns, where strangely the lead vocal of the last verse of the last song in the mix disappears! Everything else is there as it is in S1 playback. I thought it was a momentary aberration but two consecutive mixdowns is worrying.

I’m scratching my head over this one - anyone care to propose a possible cause or solution?

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One Pro, Melodyne Editor 4, Vocalign Project, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope N2-O8 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by Trucky on Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:15 am
Check for Automation on the Vocal track. As a test, can you try moving the Start Marker to the beginning of the last song to see if the mixdown problem still occurs when you "Export Mixdown"?

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Download the STUDIO ONE 5 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (20H2), Studio One 5.1.1 Pro | Notion 6.8 | Universal Control v3.4.0.61835
Dell Inspiron 17 5770 (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8 GHz, 4GB AMD Radeon 530 Graphics, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
StudioLive Series III 32 v2.4.17466
by Steve Carter on Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:19 pm
Thanks for responding, I’ll give that a try.

Just an update, I tried repositioning a volume automation point in S1 just before the vocal disappears in the mp3 mix but it didn’t work - another song export to mp3 today, same problem; vocal there in S1 playback but not in mp3 export version..!!

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One Pro, Melodyne Editor 4, Vocalign Project, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope N2-O8 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
by Jemusic on Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:05 pm
How are you doing the actual Mixdown? Are you doing a Mixdown of all 4 songs at once. ie are you setting the loop around all 4 of them and then exporting the loop range.

I would be exporting each song separately as a wave file as well. And then assemble the 4 wave files in a session to create the medley and still creating a wave file of all 4 as a medley. And then I would convert the wavefile to an MP3 file last of all. (In an editor program or Studio One to make the MP3 file as a separate thing) One should have quality wave files of everything you do. Then convert them to the lossy format after.

I have been using this approach ever since Studio One came out and have never heard a mixdown that was missing anything.

Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.1 (Mac), Notion 6.7, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Steve Carter on Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:40 pm
Once again thanks for responding. This is a medley taken from a multitrack live tape recording transferred to S1, one continuous track comprising 4 songs just a few seconds longer than 13 minutes. The mixdown is from the start to end markers.

I had already done a few mixdowns without problems, then suddenly, for no apparent reason, just the lead vocal from the 2nd verse of 4th (last) song of the medley is missing from the latest mixdowns.

Didn’t get the opportunity to fiddle today but will get back to it over the weekend.

Regards....

by Jemusic on Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:14 pm
Sounds like the medley is continuous so doing as one total thing sounds right. Try setting up a loop range around the whole thing and do the mixdown over the loop range instead. Also try wave file first too.

If the vocals are still and always missing maybe go back to the song and check carefully in the area of concern to make sure you have not automated something or told the vocals to do something different at that point.

Try a real time bounce as well and see if the issue still persists. It will take longer of course but it might just decide to work that way.

Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.1 (Mac), Notion 6.7, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:01 am
Perhaps altering start and end markers, or minimising any DSP processing from the tracks prior to mixdown. I have come across a few times a few years ago in S1v3 where the mixdown stage would produce a few seconds of volume drop at the beginnings of songs. I never nailed why, but did try to whittle some DSP plugs first. In my case it went away, or something was simply wrung out. Never reappeared.

Since these are all from a multitrack, and not VSTI, just create a substitute copy of your song first (save as), and bounce any tracks you added any processing to.

You can also try using your internal computer sound card, as processing is all done by internal CPU. Check or adjust any conversion settings.

Should do the trick.

S1 Pro 4.6.x, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8 core, Win 7 64x. Audio Interface: Audiobox 22 VSL, Audiophile 192 Controllers: Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Novation SL25 MKII, Faderport 8, Roland JV-90, Roland GR-50, Roland Octapad, Akai MPD-18. MIDI Patchbay: MOTU 8x8, Monitoring: Mackie HR824, Yamaha HS-7, Mixer: Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6.

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

LP's "Amber & Blue", and "Reasonable Approach" available on all major distribution music services.
Simply search "James Conrad Tucker".
All songs copyright. Be safe.
by Steve Carter on Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:24 pm
Thanks guys...

Ok - a couple of things; tried a real time mixdown and found another problem that I’ve never had before i.e. the song wouldn’t mixdown, tried 3 or 4 times, even restarted the computer but kept getting “audio engine dropout - do you wish to abort” or something similar!

So went back to my normal setting without the ‘real time’ box unchecked and the song mixed down to mp3 without the audio engine dropout. But... now both the lead and backing vox for the last verse of the last song were missing in the mp3 mix despite playing back perfectly well in S1.

Continued in S1 to do some more mixing work on the medley and at the end of the session I did a reference mix to mp3 - and - the vocals are back! No rhyme or reason for it, I’d previously checked and ruled out any automation cause, the absent vox were just there again in the mixdown.... at least for now!! Don’t you just hate it when something corrects itself and you don’t know why?

Now I’m concerned about this audio engine anomaly- something else to troubleshoot I guess.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1