10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

Today I was working with bend markers, and after analyzing to apply bend markers, I noticed that Studio One placed them after the sample start (so not at a zero crossing point) instead of the very beginning of the sample.

I attached a picture to explain.
I want the bend markers to be applied at a crossing point right at the beginning of the sample, not after.
What am I doing wrong? :? I don't think this is how bend markers should work.

Attachments
Screenshot_bend markers 2.png
Screenshot_ BEND MARKERS.png

From Italy
Studio One Pro 5.0.2 64 bit
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core - 32gb ram
Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + Minilogue XD
by patricemazmanian on Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:35 am
This is to preserve the attack (TRANSIENT)
This is pretty good for the sound :D

S1 pro 5 - Melodyne - Notion 6 - Win10 - jBridge 1.65 - Motherboard ASUS Z87-K - i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 32 Go RAM - GeForce GT 610 1024MB - Audio interface RME Hammerfall multiface II - Faderport - ADAT Interface Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre - EWQL hollywood-orchestra
by garybowling on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:19 am
patricemazmanian wroteThis is to preserve the attack (TRANSIENT)

Well, it's good for some things, not so good for other things. I wish (and maybe there is) there was a way to adjust the behavior depending on what you wanted.

For instance, if you're putting in bend markers on a drum track and plan on "splitting at the markers" it's not a good thing. You wind up with part of the drum hit on one event and the rest of the drum hit on another event. That's not usable and I've had to go in and manually place bend markers where I wanted them to get the desire results, which is very tedious and time consuming.

However, If you plan on putting bend markers on a bass guitar track and slightly nudging a few notes around, it is a good thing. It's generally a good thing if you're going to stretch the pieces instead of chop them up.

There are times when the best solutions calls for one or the other. It would be nice to set the behavior in a settings dialog.

Another thing that annoys me about bend markers. If you let it analyze and place bend markers, and then use those to create midi notes, it correctly sets the midi velocity to whatever the audio is at the markers. However, if you manually add bend markers it doesn't set the velocity of those resulting midi notes relative to the velocity, but rather sets the resulting midi velocity to max. This prevents you from accurately capturing an audio performance in midi if you add all the markers manually.

just my 2 cents, gabo.

Sager laptop, 32G, 1TB SSD, Win10-64, RME UFX, Studio One Pro 5, Addictive Drums, Izotope O9, Melodyne Studio, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by Giuseppetria on Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:16 am
patricemazmanian wroteThis is to preserve the attack (TRANSIENT)

I am not sure if I get your point. Shouldn't the bend markers be applied at the very beginning of the sample? Possibly at a zero crossing point?
Or at least I'd like to have the possibility to choose..

For instance, if you're putting in bend markers on a drum track and plan on "splitting at the markers" it's not a good thing. You wind up with part of the drum hit on one event and the rest of the drum hit on another event.

Exactly. I agree on that.

From Italy
Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
by robertgray3 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:51 pm
See this old forum post

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=12726

Also see this feature request about it.

https://answers.presonus.com/9651/optio ... r-than-end

I think between those two pages that should clear things up.

I’d prefer it work a little differently sometimes but when you know how it behaves at least you can predict it a bit better.

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Giuseppetria on Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:00 pm
robertgray3 wroteSee this old forum post

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=12726

Also see this feature request about it.

https://answers.presonus.com/9651/optio ... r-than-end

I think between those two pages that should clear things up.

I’d prefer it work a little differently sometimes but when you know how it behaves at least you can predict it a bit better.

Thanks Robert, I've read the articles, apparently there seems to be no good news. Users like you have requested this feature and PreSonus doesn't seem to have noticed it. Did you find a workaround? Any solutions except for a manual fix?

From Italy
Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
by robertgray3 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:19 pm
giuseppetria wroteThanks Robert, I've read the articles, apparently there seems to be no good news. Users like you have requested this feature and PreSonus doesn't seem to have noticed it. Did you find a workaround? Any solutions except for a manual fix?

Presonus has noticed but the pace of feature addition means it’s often not worth waiting for a deal breaking feature to be added. But make sure to explore the workarounds before writing it off. It’s not a deal breaker for me but everyone is different.

Workarounds depend on what you’re doing. What are you trying to quantize?

For some stuff, Slice then Quantize is a good workaround. You can make this work pretty well for individually mic’ed drums in most cases.

For other stuff, Quantize then a manual drag of the whole track to compensate gets it so there are far fewer manual adjustments needed.

Finally, there are a few things where a manual adjustment is all that can fix it.

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Giuseppetria on Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:30 am
I mainly use bend markers to then
- quantize a loop to be right on the grid / warp or stretch some percs/loops that are not in time with the bpm and so on
- make slices to use in Impact / Sample One
- shorten / warp some vocal parts, breaths and so on

If the bend markers are placed at 1/3 of the sample, sometimes even on the middle of a sample, I have to move them manually everyime to a zero crossing point exactly at the beginning of a sample. In my workflow, I basically have to do this everytime.
The bend markers being placed as shown in the picture in the first post really make no sense to me.

From Italy
Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
by robertgray3 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:39 am
giuseppetria wroteI mainly use bend markers to then
- quantize a loop to be right on the grid / warp or stretch some percs/loops that are not in time with the bpm and so on
- make slices to use in Impact / Sample One
- shorten / warp some vocal parts, breaths and so on

If the bend markers are placed at 1/3 of the sample, sometimes even on the middle of a sample, I have to move them manually everyime to a zero crossing point exactly at the beginning of a sample. In my workflow, I basically have to do this everytime.
The bend markers being placed as shown in the picture in the first post really make no sense to me.

Read those workarounds I posted above. They will work for all use cases except for " shorten / warp some vocal parts, breaths and so on". You have to do that manually until they add features to make working with the Transient Band more flexible.

You've explored how Slice works, right? And how Quantizing after Slice differs than doing it before? Especially if you're making Slices for Impact/Sample One, Slice is usually a better result.

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Giuseppetria on Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:12 pm
You've explored how Slice works, right? And how Quantizing after Slice differs than doing it before? Especially if you're making Slices for Impact/Sample One, Slice is usually a better result.

My bad, I thought that with Slice you meant to manually cut the sample, sorry. I checked it out and seems to be a good workaround, thank you!

I was looking for a keyboard shortcut to do that, but there isn't one. I guess it's okay, at least I have a solution for now :)

From Italy
Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb

10 posts
Page 1 of 1