5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I'm a little confused as to why there is different automation in the Midi Editor (automation lane) and Track Automation (key [A]). The track will show Midi Editor automation lane, such as modulation, but can't seem to edit the automation with Track show automation (key [A]). To me there seems to be some inconsistency or I can't figure out the value for each approach.

Any insight is appreciated.

Patrick

Studio 192, Eleven Rack, Axiom Pro 64, CME 37, ATOM, Focal CMS 65, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core, 32 Gb Ram, MSI X99A SLI Krait MB, MSI GeForce GTX 960, 2 Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500Gb.
by StuBabe on Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:14 pm
Part (midi) automation will override track automation. Say you have your mod automation set at 100. If you have no automation in the part, you mod will play at 100. If you happen to enter mod automation in the part, it will then play at that value.

This is a great approach IMO. Let's say you have a parameter that gets changed in just a few parts (maybe only one) in the track. You can set you track auto at whatever default you want. As long as you don't change that parameter in the part, it result will be whatever is on the track. You don't have to worry about bringing the parameter back to default at the end of the part.

I don't know why you are having a problem with editing the automation.

Mac Studio Ultra
128 GB Ram
Ventura 13.2
Studio One v6
by patrickhoonhout on Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:44 pm
So are you saying if I edit a automation lane in the Midi Editor I should be able to also edit in the Track automation [A]?

Studio 192, Eleven Rack, Axiom Pro 64, CME 37, ATOM, Focal CMS 65, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core, 32 Gb Ram, MSI X99A SLI Krait MB, MSI GeForce GTX 960, 2 Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500Gb.
by robertgray3 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:21 pm
In the midi editor, that is automation contained in the Part. Your targets are comparatively limited, too.

When you press A and look at the track automation that’s contained on the track, you have a few different targets available as well.

You can have both active, but they are not linked. Completely different things.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Lokeyfly on Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:10 am
patrickhoonhout wroteHello,

I'm a little confused as to why there is different automation in the Midi Editor (automation lane) and Track Automation (key [A]). The track will show Midi Editor automation lane, such as modulation, but can't seem to edit the automation with Track show automation (key [A]). To me there seems to be some inconsistency or I can't figure out the value for each approach.

Any insight is appreciated.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Yeah, selecting [A] for track automation is tidy, as the automation sits on the track, but it's not useful for editing then, where having automation reside in separate  lanes is easier. As far as choosing which to use, it's largely best to think of automation lanes are for audio tracks, and MIDI or instrument tracks utilize event based automation within the confines of those parts

As pointed out, such MIDI/insyrument changes are limited to events, and not a whole track. When rendering the track to audio (print), any such automation changes to all events on that track will be captured.

There's some practicality for altering either as track automation, or an instrument event lane

For an instrument or MIDI event such as even a volume change where one doesn't want to commit to rendering to audio yet, it's nice to be able to vary volume changes (i.e  drums, synth swells) on the instrument part(s) alone. Also great for fading in or out, where there still may be synth or some parameter changes left to do. Towards the end of the song, it's common and most advantageous to final print the MIDI or instrument tracks to audio. Then cover any whole track automation at that time.

Hope that helps clarify some differences.

Tips/tricks: You can copy lane or track changes over to one another. Just be clear where the song pointer resides when copying/pasting.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

5 posts
Page 1 of 1