4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a limiter in the post on master, set to -0.12 dB. When I play through it all looks good, but I get these insane messages about "clipping has occurred, the signal was 41.70 dB over". How can this be? The .wav sounds reasonable, no crazy pops that I can hear.
by scottyo7 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:02 pm
See this.

Here's a bit more info and (possible) reasons why this occurs.
Last edited by scottyo7 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please add your Signature/Info to your Profile here.
-ASUS i7 Laptop; 16GB; 2 Samsung SSD's; NVIDIA 670MX; Win 10 Home v2004.
-S1 Pro 4.6.2; EZD2 2.1.8. A/I: USB Behringer UMC404HD.
-Synths: Camel Audio Alchemy, Air Tech Music Suite, UVI Digital Synsations & SONiVOX Twist.
-Melodyne Studio 4.2.4. Ozone 5, Scuffham S-Gear 2.97.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars, two Line 6 POD's & an E-bow.
-Fluid Audio 'FX8' Monitors; Dual 28" Displays. Rode NT1; SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just Me
-Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by Jemusic on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:10 pm
That is not a great link. This guy is one of those leave all your faders at unity and mix levels with mix tools which in my opinion is not a great way to go.

A better approach is get all your tracks at the same rms level eg -18. Use your faders to create the mix. You will get better visual feedback that way. Get bus rms levels at your ref level. Get your main stereo mix at the rms ref level. Clipping will be way above that by the headroom you are creating eg 18 dB. You can set things up (for most genres) where no clip lights will ever light.

I use PSP Xenon in final mastering and whenever I set that for an output ceiling of say -0.5dB or even -1dB I never see the clip light or get that message. If I ever have got that message there is often no audible sound to it though.

I tend to put everything in the pre master inserts as well. The fader is after all that. The metering can be set for pre/post as well.

The OP's limiter output ceiling is also still a little high. It might still clip some D/A converters.

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5 (Mac), Notion 6.7, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by garyanderson5 on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:29 am
charlesmcdowell1 wroteI have a limiter in the post on master, set to -0.12 dB. When I play through it all looks good, but I get these insane messages about "clipping has occurred, the signal was 41.70 dB over". How can this be? The .wav sounds reasonable, no crazy pops that I can hear.

Limit pre not post is the simple answer. I use the pre-fader slot for processing and the post fader slot for metering or dither. The only other thing i think of is are you using a true peak limiter and have you got lookahead problems with a plugin maby.

Windows 10 64-Bit, i9 9900k @5GHz OC, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB Trident Z C14 RAM, 500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS, ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 2TB Studio One 4 Professional 64-Bit, Steinberg UR44.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1