11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Studio One is awesome, and I really want to purchase it, but I can't in good conscience because the automation envelopes are totally broken. Zero hyperbole.

The automation is inconsistent and inaccurate, to put it simply. Here's a video demonstrating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNqyzpBhTVY

You can see that immediate automations, which are immediate and consistent in any other DAW give or take a few milliseconds, are anything but in Studio One.

The kick drum in this example, when automating the audio track's volume, has leftover transient audio when there should be total silence.

The synth audio clip in the video, when automating a filter plugin's cutoff frequency, sweeps downwards and upwards when it should be instantly up or down (you shouldn't be able to hear the filter moving)

The weirdest part is, as you watch, you'll see that the automations are not consistent. It would be one thing if the kick had the transient leftover every single time the automation happens, but it doesn't! It changes over time, randomly. Same with the filter.

This issue is also documented in previous versions of Studio One according to my research, by this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ucvUoii-c

My audio settings are fine, my latency is low, I know what I'm doing, I'm good.

I've seen people suggest workarounds, like duplicating the track, but I'm not super interested in that. I just want it to work.

I would LOVE to jump on the Studio One train, because from my testing, it's an awesome DAW with a super fast workflow. But I can't, because the automations are broken.

I'm wondering, does the Presonus team plan to fix this any time soon? This is a pretty huge thing and I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed over the years. I hope so, because I want to give you guys my money!

Also, I'm happy to provide any data or testing that might help you fix this issue :)
by niles on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:12 pm
I̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶r̶e̶s̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶8̶!̶?̶

I̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶v̶i̶d̶e̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶T̶o̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶P̶l̶u̶g̶-̶i̶n̶ ̶D̶e̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶7̶.̶3̶m̶s̶,̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶F̶a̶b̶f̶i̶l̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶l̶u̶g̶i̶n̶?̶ ̶W̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶3̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶y̶ ̶p̶l̶u̶g̶i̶n̶s̶?̶

Never mind, I can reproduce it like it always was.

OS: Windows 10 Pro | HW: P9X79 • i7 3930K • 16GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by joshuaburson on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:32 pm
Apparently it wasn't! lol

The latency is coming from an instance of Ozone Maximizer in IRC LL mode on the master. The issue occurs whether or not it's present
by niles on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:38 pm
joshuaburson wroteApparently it wasn't! lol

The latency is coming from an instance of Ozone Maximizer in IRC LL mode on the master. The issue occurs whether or not it's present
If you want to make a point to PreSonus I would suggest to only use native tools (first). This to prevent that the results are marked as clouded due to 3rd party software.

OS: Windows 10 Pro | HW: P9X79 • i7 3930K • 16GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by wdkbeats on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:26 am
This is a known bug, very serious one. I can't comprehend why it's still not fixed...

PC: AMD Ryzen 3900X, 32GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz CL16, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 8GB, SSD CORSAIR SSD MP510 960GB M.2 NVMe (OS)
DAW: Studio One Professional x64
Gear: RME Fireface 802 + RME Advanced Remote, ATC SCM25A PRO, Avantome Mixcubes, Presonus R65, Softube Console 1, Presonus Faderport, AKAI MPC Touch, AKAI Advance 61, Presonus Faderport, Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro
by Baphometrix on Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:26 am
FWIW, I cannot reproduce this bug on Windows 10 with Pro v5.02

https://youtu.be/KjP_CdChEfI

The very tiny blip you see at the start of each muted beat is normal and every DAW does this (most are FAR worse than Studio One). Volume automation envelopes in DAWs always have a certain amount of "smoothing" on them to prevent non-linear jumps, which would cause distortions/pops/crackles. That blip is incredibly low volume and also incredibly short in duration while the vertical automation jump transitions fully to -inf. In the Duck oscilloscope, you see the blip too, and it's larger, but that's because of the Smoothing control in Duck being set fairly high.

Also FWIW, most plugins will do this same type of automatic, unalterable smoothing too (on volume/gain-related controls) And the degree of smoothing is very different from plugin to plugin. At least partly because plugins can ship their inputs/outputs around only in discrete buffer packets.

Studio One 5.1 Pro (Sphere) | Bitwig 3.2.x | Ableton 10.x
Faderport 8 | ATOM SQ | MOTU M4 | Push 2 (Shove)
Windows 10 Home | i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Geforce RTX 2070
by j0001s on Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:37 am
You are aware of the differences between how VST2 handles automation from VST3, AU and AAX?

VST2 calculates the automation value at the start of every buffer, and will hold it at the same value for the duration of the buffer. VST3, AU and AAX will calculate values for every sample in the buffer (or at least, it's supported in the spec).

So, if you're changing an automation value on a VST2 plugin/instrument, and that change happens to occur in the middle of the buffer, you won't hear it until the start of the next buffer. With large buffers (a.k.a. high block size settings) this is clearly audible as timing slop and/or zippering.

I did a bunch of tests some time ago, and I didn't see any sign of automation problems. I DID see and clearly hear the VST2 issue.

If you're not using VST2 instruments or plugins, then this doesn't apply. Since my experiments, I only use VST3 versions unless none is available.
by joshuaburson on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:46 am
I eat my own words!

I just did the exact same tests in Ableton, and the same issues were there.

I first noticed this was an issue when I was tinkering in Studio One and I noticed that when Fabfilter Pro Q 3 was used on a track, and in linear phase mode (creating more than 1 second of latency), there would be a huge delay between pressing play and hearing playback, and also the audio would continue long after I stopped playback.

Then I decided to automate the pitch wheel in Synthmaster One, and noticed it was sliding up and down like crazy instead of just jumping to the desired pitch. I didn't bother to test any other synths, but it made me question whether something was wrong with the automation in Studio One, so I performed the tests in my video above.

Today I find that the same things happen in Ableton, even with Ableton's stock Auto Filter (and Fabfilter as well), and automating volume, you are correct Shannon! It's the same as Studio One, no worse.

As for Synthmaster One, the pitch sliding with the pitch wheel is simply a fault in that synth (along with many, many others). The same issue persists in Ableton, and when I switched Synthmaster to Sylenth, Dune, and Hive, no such issue was present. Instant jump to the desired pitch.

I am still curious about the mega lag that happens with playback (and after playback "stops") in Studio One with plugins that introduce latency though. Does anyone else have this issue?
by joshuaburson on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:52 am
j0001s wroteYou are aware of the differences between how VST2 handles automation from VST3, AU and AAX?

VST2 calculates the automation value at the start of every buffer, and will hold it at the same value for the duration of the buffer. VST3, AU and AAX will calculate values for every sample in the buffer (or at least, it's supported in the spec).

So, if you're changing an automation value on a VST2 plugin/instrument, and that change happens to occur in the middle of the buffer, you won't hear it until the start of the next buffer. With large buffers (a.k.a. high block size settings) this is clearly audible as timing slop and/or zippering.

I did a bunch of tests some time ago, and I didn't see any sign of automation problems. I DID see and clearly hear the VST2 issue.

If you're not using VST2 instruments or plugins, then this doesn't apply. Since my experiments, I only use VST3 versions unless none is available.

I did not know this just tested with VST3 in Ableton (which I had NEVER enabled previously, didn't think it was necessary) and this totally removes the inconsistencies in automation on Fabfilter Volcano's frequency cutoff. Thank you!
by j0001s on Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:08 pm
joshuaburson wrote
I am still curious about the mega lag that happens with playback (and after playback "stops") in Studio One with plugins that introduce latency though. Does anyone else have this issue?

I did have an issue with V5 (V4 was fine) that may be cleared up with V5.0.2. At times, my screen would freeze after stop for 15+ seconds. The channel meters would not have returned to zero when the freeze occurs. Things would eventually unfreeze.

I haven't seen it with 5.0.2.

Note that there was an explicit note for the 5.0.2 release to make sure all of your third party plugins are at the latest version. Not sure what that's about (no why was given), but there could be some relationship.
by bruceqld on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:26 pm
[quote="joshuaburson"]I eat my own words!

I am still curious about the mega lag that happens with playback (and after playback "stops") in Studio One with plugins that introduce latency though. Does anyone else have this issue?[/quote

Unless I misunderstand your post, you will see this in all DAW's when you are using read ahead plugins that add very long latencies. How else would you expect it to work? For exampIe, if the plugin you are using adds 500ms latency whilst it reads ahead, there will be a 500ms delay after pressing play before playback starts, then another 500ms delay after pressing stop for playback to stop.

Studio One 4 Pro, Win 10, Asus ROG i7, 32 Gb Ram, SSD, RME Fireface UFX, X32, Atom, Faderport USB

11 posts
Page 1 of 1