5 posts
Page 1 of 1
When I drag a live kick drum to the groove quantize window, it allows me to make midi notes from the audio kick track, however when I drag this new info onto a new midi track it does not cover the complete song. in other words, the audio kick file is 210 bars long but the new midi info is only going to bar 180. what am I doing wrong? Thanks..
by mivey on Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:51 pm
trunmusic wroteWhen I drag a live kick drum to the groove quantize window, it allows me to make midi notes from the audio kick track, however when I drag this new info onto a new midi track it does not cover the complete song. in other words, the audio kick file is 210 bars long but the new midi info is only going to bar 180. what am I doing wrong? Thanks..

I'm pretty new to SO5 but I can tell you that the MIDI created by that method uses an algorithm based on detected transients when you drop your audio file onto the Groove window.

So the more complex the audio file is and especially if there is also additional processing in the audio file such as delays, reverb and etc.; the more inconsistent your results are going to be.

If you look closely at the vertical lines created after you drop the audio you can usually determine what is and what's not going to create a midi note.

I've found the feature works pretty good as long as you keep things simple. But it's not by anyway 100% accurate though. So you're likely doing nothing wrong.

=============================
iMac Pro
MacOSX 10.15.5 (Catalina)
8-Core 3.8GHz Xenon
256GB RAM

Universal Apollo x8p
Presonus Quantum 26x32
Studio One 5
by trunmusic on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:14 pm
Thank you!!!
by sirmonkey on Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:15 pm
Is the kick an isolated track? If not, maybe some of the kick is getting "lost" in
the other kit pieces.
If that's the case, you could duplicate the track, insert an
EQ, and roll off everything above 300Hz. Maybe add a bump at 80Hz-100Hz.
Maybe also slap on a compressor: Set the attack time to be slow enough to let
the transient through, and the release fast. Drive the input volume as needed.
The goal is totally NOT about getting a good sound, but to exaggerate the transients
of just the kicks, and nothing else (maybe that's obvious).
I've had good success doing this when trying to convert a mixed drum track to midi.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by [email protected] on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:26 am
trunmusic wroteWhen I drag a live kick drum to the groove quantize window, it allows me to make midi notes from the audio kick track, however when I drag this new info onto a new midi track it does not cover the complete song. in other words, the audio kick file is 210 bars long but the new midi info is only going to bar 180. what am I doing wrong? Thanks..

I find it strange too - it works so beautiful but never fulfil the task - only some part of the track gets in to midi when dragging it back to a miditrack. Is it resource dependend? I wish the genious guys at Presonus will fix this issue - it would really make life a lot easier

5 posts
Page 1 of 1