10 posts
Page 1 of 1
So I have a large tracklist. I use a combination of disabling or hiding tracks to manage (seeing just the ones I care about at the time).

However, when using the midi editor (piano roll) Studio One is showing me every damn track... is there a way to hide tracks (or an option that I haven't found that will only display enabled or non-hidden tracks)?
by robertgray3 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:11 pm
Do you mean entries in the Piano Roll track list or notes in the Piano Roll?

If you mean showing you notes of multiple tracks in the Piano Roll...

You're in Multi Track MIDI Editing mode. Usually you enter that mode via shift + clicking multiple events in Arrange for editing purposes. This will enable multi track editing for that particular event until you leave it.

Once you go into Multi-Track edit mode on a particular track, the way to leave it is either through double clicking the event you want to edit in the Arrange View (my usual preferred solution) or by fine-tuning what's visible in the Piano Roll Track List (on the left, click the hamburger menu icon under the Piano/Drum view toggle). The second option is nice if you want to stay in Multi Track view and just want a particular track to go away.

TLDR: The best practice, from what I've found, is to make it a habit of double clicking events that I want to edit in the Piano Roll before I start editing them. Or if you have tons of tracks you may prefer the drop down menu in the top left corner of the Piano Roll.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Madfloyd on Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:41 pm
I do mean the entries in the Piano Roll track list.

I need to see notes from other tracks in order to edit a particular track.

My problem is the Hambuger icon that shows the choices of tracks is showing me THOUSANDS of tracks. Scrolling down through them takes AGES... 98% of these tracks are either DISABLED or HIDDEN as they do not yet truly 'exist' creatively (I use a symphonic track template if you're wondering why I have so many tracks).

I can control which tracks show in the arrangement view, can I not filter out tracks in the EDITOR view?
by Madfloyd on Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:19 pm
Can anyone confirm that there are no options to hide tracks in the editor?
by robertgray3 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:32 pm
That is not an option currently, probably because that's the only place one can see Hidden tracks, though I suppose there could be an FR for a button/tab to toggle Hidden Tracks in both of the two Track Lists. I would bet the FR would get further faster if you word it that way because users have to be able to see hidden tracks somewhere ;)

In your situation, you can use Folders and the Arrange Track List to approximate this because its visibility works a little differently since it's linked to the Console.

Here's how it would look. I have about 100 tracks in this one, but with a few extra folders I think you could have 1000 in there without too much scrolling. When tracks are in your "Active" folders you might find it easier to use the Drop Down menu to the right of the Note Editor track list to get between them, your preference.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Madfloyd on Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:30 pm
I thank you for the reply. You misunderstand what I'm asking (and I'm sure the fault is my poor explanation).

The track list you are referring to is indeed the one where you can toggle Hidden tracks. The one I'm referring to is a separate track list that only appears inside the Editor view and is accessible from a hamburger menu at the very left of the editor. It's similar to the track list from the Arrange view and both allow you to control what tracks are viewable in the editor, but the Editor track list has a tiny blue pen icon that you can toggle on/off per track.

This list has no ability to collapse folders. It doesn't even show folders. It shows EVERY track. So if you have 100 tracks and you want to edit midi in some near the top of your track list and some at the bottom (where you are continuously changing which one is editable) you are going to spend a LOT of time scrolling up and down (and the scrolling is soooooo slow).

Oh.. but wait a sec... I was assuming that little blue pen icon was the ONLY way to control which track was editable... seems I can pretty much do this from the Arrange track view (which ever is selected is the one editable).

OK, I'm in business now. THANK YOU !!!!
by Bbd on Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:37 pm
Thanks for the update.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by robertgray3 on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:44 pm
Madfloyd wroteThe one I'm referring to is a separate track list that only appears inside the Editor view and is accessible from a hamburger menu at the very left of the editor.

I can pretty much do this from the Arrange track view (which ever is selected is the one editable).

OK, I'm in business now. THANK YOU !!!!

You’re welcome. I knew which Track List you are referring to, but the Editor Track List is limited so I went for how to accomplish what you wanted with the tools that are there :D

Side note - the Drop Down selector in the Note Editor is also useful for switching tracks and turning off Multitrack Edit Mode (so you don’t have to scroll to the blue edit pencil), at least it did that every time I used it with this template. Or you can double click the Part in the Arranger.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by francescobruno on Tue May 18, 2021 11:30 am
I'm in the same situation and, if I understand this solution correctly, I still find it less convenient than hiding the disabled tracks in the editor view. At least for my workflow.
Can anyone confirm that there isn't a way to do that as of yet?

Studio One Pro 5
Win10 - R7 5800x - GTX 970 - 32gb ddr4 - 1TB ssd
interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2n gen
by StuBabe on Wed May 19, 2021 10:38 am
In the arrange view, you can't hide items in the track list. Clicking an item in the track list, hides the track, but not the name of the track in list. What the list in the arrange view has over the edit view is folders. I may have 2 tracks open in the edit view. Sometimes I want to edit both, others times, I want to edit just 1 but to be able to view both. This is done by clicking the blue pen in the track list. Problem is, when let's say I'm editing a flute and a violin, to switch being able to edit one or the other, I have to scroll up and down. I feel for the people who use hundreds of tracks. Folders in the track list would solve the problem.

Mac Studio Ultra
128 GB Ram
Ventura 13.2
Studio One v6

10 posts
Page 1 of 1