31 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
In addition to not working with VST3 instruments; the S1v5 MPE implementation is also broken for external hardware instruments.

You can play & pass MPE through to external hardware, but you will not be able to record parts and play them back correctly. You don't even need an actual physical synth to demonstrate the issue.

To reproduce:
- Configure a MIDI instrument with an MPE output.
- Create an instrument track
- Create a one bar part
- Alternate between E & B on each quarter note (so four notes in all)
- Duplicate the bar three times
- Playback

If you have an MPE synth, you'll hear the notes get stuck. If you're just monitoring a virtual MIDI port you can see that it doesn't send Note Off messages on the same channel that got the Note On.

The PolyAT does work well with my Hydrasynth, so v5 wasn't a total loss.
by jonemery on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:03 am
I really hope their MPE implementation shortcomings are resolved quickly. The Live 11 MPE implementation looks well done.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Intel I5-8400 with 8 Gb DDR4 / 16 Gb Optane, Steinberg UR12, Atom SQ, Launchpad X, Lightpad M Blocks, Studio One 5, Unify
by BiggerNoise on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:44 am
I provided Presonus support with the above reproduction procedure in October.
They also confirmed the VST3/MPE issue in August.

So, they have known about this for quite some time. Definitely going to take a closer look at Live: I hate the way it looks, but it's failures might be in areas that I don't particularly care about.
by jonemery on Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:30 pm
There's a 6 minute Live 11 mpe video that shows MPE assignments within their waveform device and how you can edit individual note performance data in the editor. The guy doing the demo uses a seaboard rise.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Intel I5-8400 with 8 Gb DDR4 / 16 Gb Optane, Steinberg UR12, Atom SQ, Launchpad X, Lightpad M Blocks, Studio One 5, Unify
by billsaunders1 on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:51 am
In Studio One version 4.6 I get midi in and out of Studio One from AUv3 instruments on my 6th gen 2018 iPad.

The iPad is connected via a lightning cable to an iRig Pro audio interface. The headphone socket of the iRig is connected via a Y cable to 2 inputs on my Windows audio interface, which is a Focusrite 6i6. There are midi cables connecting iRig and the 6i6.

I then set up an instrument track in Studio One with the Input being my bog standard Roland midi Keyboard, and the output set to my iPad. (To do the latter, you have to add the iPad as a new external device in settings).

I then set up an audio track, with the input set to the two inputs that the “Y” cable goes into.
If I then play the Roland midi keyboard, I can record both midi and audio from an AUv3 instrument on my iPad into Studio One.

Let’s say I am using the iOS instrument GeoShred, and I record some basic midi as described above. I can then record over this and use the Expression pad, or the vibrato control or Whammy slider and all this will be recorded – as audio only.

Also, for anyone with GeoShred, I cannot record midi using the Roland for any SWAM instruments – you get a message up on the iPad saying you need an MPE controller to do this.

Hope some of this is of interest!

https://billsaunders.hearnow.com/

https://genius.com/artists/Bill-saunders

https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders

Studio One Pro5.5 Win11 64bit i7-12700 32GB ram, FaderPort 16, Focusrite 8i6 3rd gen
by jonlayton on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:18 am
It would be nice if Presonus gave some indication that they care about this issue and are trying to address it. All I've seen is radio silence and/or engagements with support reps who know less than the users about the state of MPE in S1. It is making me consider just selling my license and moving on.
by robertgray3 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:41 pm
jonlayton wroteIt would be nice if Presonus gave some indication that they care about this issue and are trying to address it. All I've seen is radio silence and/or engagements with support reps who know less than the users about the state of MPE in S1. It is making me consider just selling my license and moving on.

I’ve noticed a few other hosts/bridges only support MPE for VST2 as well. It has something to do with a popular framework's implementation of it. There's one post about it here: https://forum.juce.com/t/mpe-vst3-issue/31035/13

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:11 pm
Lolzes, Vst3 came out in 2008 and it's still not "widely" embraced.

Bye......:roll:
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:15 pm
Reason, SSD5.5, any Toontrack plug, Guitar Rig are some of the ones I can think of that still don't embraces it. It's been 13 years.

Bye......:roll:
by PreAl on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:03 am
If you want MPE in VST3 then vote for it:
http://answers.presonus.com/55424/mpe-s ... nstruments

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by BiggerNoise on Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:41 pm
FWIW version 5.2.1, released on 4/27/2021 appears to resolve the issue with external MPE synths

31 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2