45 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
So I've got 1,400+ plugins....let's just start with that. I have a problem. I know...that's a topic for another day.

Every single time I restart Windows, Studio One seems to scan each plugin at launch. So the first time I launch Studio One each day, it scans all 1,400+ plugins. It takes over 3 MINUTES to start Studio One 5 here on an AMD Ryzen 3950 system! The second, third, fourth times I launch Studio One, it starts up quickly as it seems to do a quick scan for new plugins. Now I know I can turn off "Scan Plugins at Startup" but with no manual way to force a plugin scan, that doesn't help when I do add new plugins to my VST Plugins folder.

Question 1: Why is it every time I restart Windows, Studio One does a full scan but subsequent launches do a "quick scan" and only check for new plugins? Why isn't the Quick Scan the default?

Question 2: Why can't we manually launch a "Scan for New Plugins" action in the Plugin Manager or browser? This would allow me to turn off "Scan at Startup" but run a manual scan for new plugins when needed, which would be the next best thing.

If I'm feeling creative and wanting to pop open S1 to get an idea down, the last thing I want to do is wait 3 minutes for my DAW to launch. You know what happens? I open a browser window while I wait and the moment is gone.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by Jemusic on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:13 pm
Turn off scan at start up. Simple as that. The only time you need to turn it back on is when you install a new plugin. Do the scan, get the new plugin and then immediately turn it off again. Studio One does not need to scan your plugins every time you boot-up. Melodyne can hold up the boot-up process but other than that it should be pretty fast.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Funkybot on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:43 pm
Jemusic wroteTurn off scan at start up. Simple as that. The only time you need to turn it back on is when you install a new plugin. Do the scan, get the new plugin and then immediately turn it off again. Studio One does not need to scan your plugins every time you boot-up. Melodyne can hold up the boot-up process but other than that it should be pretty fast.

I appreciate you're trying to help but it was clear from my post that turning off scan at startup was something I'm aware of.

What you're basically proposing is, I turn off scan at startup. So then every time I install a new plugin (or potentially whenever I update one), the procedure becomes...

1. Start Studio One
2. Turn on Scan at Startup again
3. Exit Studio One
4. Restart Studio One - allow the plugin to scan
5. Go back to Preferences and turn off scan at startup again

Remember: I've got 1,400 plugins. Adding plugins is something I do regularly! That's why turning off scan at startup isn't the best solution. The best solution would be 1) quick scanning plugins that've already been scanned (maybe the fact it doesn't is a bug for all I know), or 2) if there were a way to trigger a plugin scan from within S1. If anyone can offer insight as to my two questions, I'd appreciate it:

1. Why does Studio One do a "full scan" the first time it launches for the day on Windows, then a "quick scan" on subsequent launches? If it always did the "quick scan" this would be a non issue for me.

2. Why wouldn't Studio One just allow users to trigger manual plugin scans from within the application itself?

I mean...does anyone think waiting for over 3 minutes for your DAW to start is acceptable? Is that just me? If it's just me, then maybe it's a bug. Anyone have huge plugin collections like I do? Does S1 do slow scans the first time you launch it after restarting your DAW? The delay to launch is a real drag creatively.
Last edited by Funkybot on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by PreAl on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:49 pm
Agreed ^. One of the few things Cakewalk does better. Would love to see faster startup in S1 although I get its modular engine approach, which is pretty cool, may make it harder.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Funkybot on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:57 pm
PreAl wroteAgreed ^. One of the few things Cakewalk does better. Would love to see faster startup in S1 although I get its modular engine approach, which is pretty cool, may make it harder.

Thanks for confirming it's not just me!

Considering the 2nd, 3rd, 4th launches of S1 after restarting Windows just use some kind of "Quick Scan" of the plugin folder. I feel like there should be some opportunity for the Presonus developers to just make that happen the first time too. Here's what I see...

First Studio One Launch After Restarting Windows: 3-4 minutes to start. Most of it on the full plugin scan. Totally too long.

Subsequent Launches: <1 minute. Plugin scan is super fast. Perfectly acceptable.

Why can't they just do the quick scan the first time too?

by Jemusic on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:35 pm
What would be nice is if we could initiate a full scan from within Studio One even while Scan at Startup is not engaged.

Note: Going to the Plugin manager and clicking on Update Plugins seems to not be the same. Although that looks similar (and its fast too) it seems to create a Blacklist every time I do this and only doing a full scan on startup puts everything back to normal.

I do see a faster scan sometimes for sure. Seems after a plugin install it needs to do the slower deeper version.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by IanM5 on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:16 pm
I always have scanning at start-up off and use the "Update Plugins" to add new ones. It works well. The only reason to turn on the start-up scan is when you want to remove a plugin.

I should add that this is Win 10 and S1 V4.6. No idea if 5 works the same.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by jBranam on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:06 am
lol funky... i got a slew of them too. they pile up over the years. bought a lot... but i got a ton from beta testing for developers also so i feel your 'pain' and i quit looking and counting long ago. cheers

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Funkybot on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:22 am
IanM5 wroteI always have scanning at start-up off and use the "Update Plugins" to add new ones. It works well. The only reason to turn on the start-up scan is when you want to remove a plugin.

I should add that this is Win 10 and S1 V4.6. No idea if 5 works the same.

So running Update Plugins from the plugin manager actually adds new ones? That's exactly what I want. Will give it a go.

by kevladd on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:25 pm
Last edited by kevladd on Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by PreAl on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:18 pm
Mind you, with everything said and done..1400 plugins is overkill by a long way. There is a fine line (and sometimes a pretty thick one) between using plugins, having some nice ones on standby, and just collecting them.

I myself have far too many plugins and my ambition is to reduce them as much as I can to simplify my workflow. I am very hesitant to install new ones nowadays.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by klypeman on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:32 pm
I feel it´s quicker than ever, never bother turning off scan at the startup (2400++ and counting)
I have time.
Installed Softube´s TSAR-1 reverb today and that was the only one that took like 2 secs just to check. next time I bet it goes faster.
Never an issue and have had no crashes yet with SO5, Good job Presonus !

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by Funkybot on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:31 pm
klypeman wroteI feel it´s quicker than ever, never bother turning off scan at the startup (2400++ and counting)
I have time.

You say "I feel like it's quicker than ever..." then "I have time." What's that mean? How long does it take? Is it fast ("quicker than ever")? Or is it slow ("I have time")?

Some people reporting that it's fast, and others reporting it's slow, and others saying it's 'fast on my old PC and slow on my new one' indicate maybe there's a bug here that's going unreported. Let's try to figure that out and quantify these results and put some numbers around this to see if maybe there's an issue here, or maybe some best practices, or maybe a platform/OS issue, or whatever.

Everyone, if you're reading this, please help out by posting your startup times! Fast or slow. Just looking to gather data.

Procedure:
Pre-Condition: Turn "Scan on Startup" on if not already

1. Restart your PC
2. Launch Studio One and post how long it takes for it startup
3. Close Studio One
4. Launch it again and post how long it takes for Studio One to launch on subsequent loads

Please provide additional information like: 1) your platform (Mac/Win) and OS version 2) how many plugins you have, 3) what type of drive you have them installed on (SSD, standard HD, mix of both)

I'll go first:

First Launch 3-4 minutes

Subsequent Launches <1 minute.

Using Windows 10 x64, 1,400+ plugins, most on a standard 7,200 RPM HD but my VST3 and UAD-2 plugins are on my primary SSD.

by klypeman on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:13 am
As there are a zillion different Mac’s and PC’s out there with different launch times and amount of plugins I don’t think it will prove anything at all to measure startup times.
By mentioning “I have time” I mean just what I said, I’m the patient one.
If it takes that amount of time I deal with that and make a cup of tea or ☕️.
Same with mixdowns, ect.
It’s the same with all the other DAW’s I met.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by edwine1 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:09 am
Funkybot wrote
klypeman wroteI feel it´s quicker than ever, never bother turning off scan at the startup (2400++ and counting)
I have time.

You say "I feel like it's quicker than ever..." then "I have time." What's that mean? How long does it take? Is it fast ("quicker than ever")? Or is it slow ("I have time")?

Some people reporting that it's fast, and others reporting it's slow, and others saying it's 'fast on my old PC and slow on my new one' indicate maybe there's a bug here that's going unreported. Let's try to figure that out and quantify these results and put some numbers around this to see if maybe there's an issue here, or maybe some best practices, or maybe a platform/OS issue, or whatever.

Everyone, if you're reading this, please help out by posting your startup times! Fast or slow. Just looking to gather data.

Procedure:
Pre-Condition: Turn "Scan on Startup" on if not already

1. Restart your PC
2. Launch Studio One and post how long it takes for it startup
3. Close Studio One
4. Launch it again and post how long it takes for Studio One to launch on subsequent loads

Please provide additional information like: 1) your platform (Mac/Win) and OS version 2) how many plugins you have, 3) what type of drive you have them installed on (SSD, standard HD, mix of both)

I'll go first:

First Launch 3-4 minutes

Subsequent Launches <1 minute.

Using Windows 10 x64, 1,400+ plugins, most on a standard 7,200 RPM HD but my VST3 and UAD-2 plugins are on my primary SSD.

Using W10 x64 Home. Mine takes 1.4 seconds with 210 plugins first launch. 1.3 on second. All plugins on SSD. I have made sure Windows Defender does not scan my VST folders. I do not and have never used anti-virus software.

Windows 10 64bit
16gb RAM
Studio One 6 Pro
Melodyne 5 Editor
Notion 6
Focusrite 2i2 (3rd Gen)
GTX 1050ti
SSD Main Drive; 4x Sample SSD
Asrock B85m Motherboard

S1 user since v2
by brianlawler on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:50 am
I have noticed this behavior, but the impact has not bothered me so far. While I exclude my sample libraries from Microsoft AV, I am not willing to do so with executable code folders. 570 VST devices with first run 25 sec and subsequent 13 sec. All SSD.

=B

Brian

Homebuilt MSI AMD Ryzen 3700X 4.5 Ghz Win 10-64 (22H2) 32G RAM, Focusrite 2i2 v3, Komplete Kontrol S49 MK1, Arturia Minilab 3, Bitwig 4.x, Studio One Pro v6.x
by leosutherland on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:09 am
FWIW 11 sec and 8 sec.

If the scan was to take 3-4 minutes, I'd simply go make a coffee and not worry about it.

It's all a bit subjective, IMO. How long were you wanting it to take to scan 1400+ plugins? What would you define as being a good scan time? How long are you willing to wait for the scan to finish? :)

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by IanM5 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:02 pm
leosutherland wroteFWIW 11 sec and 8 sec.

If the scan was to take 3-4 minutes, I'd simply go make a coffee and not worry about it.

It's all a bit subjective, IMO. How long were you wanting it to take to scan 1400+ plugins? What would you define as being a good scan time? How long are you willing to wait for the scan to finish? :)

They probably take less time to scan than it takes you to decide which one of those 1400 plugins to use. :D

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by leosutherland on Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:28 pm
True that :thumbup:

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Jemusic on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:50 pm
I have got 1083 plugins so this may closer to Funkybot's situation. On first boot-up it is 30 seconds and for the second boot-up after that is 6 seconds.

45 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3