45 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
Jemusic wroteI have got 1083 plugins so this may closer to Funkybot's situation. On first boot-up it is 30 seconds and for the second boot-up after that is 6 seconds.

Thanks to all those who replied. Clearly 3-4 minutes is not the norm. If we were talking 30 seconds or less, I'd be very happy. But that first launch always seems to do a full blown plugin and preset scan here. which is quite slow. I'll probably contact support since my results seem so far outside of the norm.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by gregh on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:24 pm
Funkybot wrote
Jemusic wroteI have got 1083 plugins so this may closer to Funkybot's situation. On first boot-up it is 30 seconds and for the second boot-up after that is 6 seconds.

Thanks to all those who replied. Clearly 3-4 minutes is not the norm. If we were talking 30 seconds or less, I'd be very happy. But that first launch always seems to do a full blown plugin and preset scan here. which is quite slow. I'll probably contact support since my results seem so far outside of the norm.

1:40 then 0:06secs normal HD i5 machine running win10

550 plugins

win10, old i5 machine (plenty good enough) S1Pro, Bitwig, Adam A7 monitors

https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/
by miked7 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:25 am
Bootup times:

First: 2:35
Second: :15 sec

1005 Plugins

Far from "ideal" PC, but at least an SSD... :)

---- - ----
Studio One Pro 6.5 | Apollo Twin Duo USB | Win10 | AMD Ryzen 3 | 32GB RAM | SSDs
SoundCloud | Project 9732 | Komplex 2
by robertgray3 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:43 am
Funkybot wrote

766 plugins in 4 seconds. I've never seen it take 3-4 minutes, at that point I would suspect something being wrong- it could be a lot of things but I'd try contacting support since that's actually the type of stuff they seem to excel at. Permissions, multiple programs behaving badly together, folder structure or corrupted databases etc. By the sheer nature of talking to so many users they usually pick up on patterns with stuff like that.

For example (not saying it's the case), everyone using Developer A's Authorization Cloud Service hangs on scans because Developer A changed the permissions of a system folder when it installed, stuff like that.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by PreAl on Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:05 am
I'm my experience it's mostly folder paths and poor install strategy that are issue.

Extreme example For instance rather than C:\plugins\ on the folder paths in studio one, they will have C:\ so their entire drive is searched.

Also..

Most people use the default installation folder paths supplied for each plugin, which means plugins get installed all over the place. If you have a predefined folder structure, and then point to the installers to their locations like this:

C:\plugins\vst\32bit
C:\plugins\vst\64bit

Then studio can be pointed to C:\plugins\vst\64bit and 32bit plugins can be ignored.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by robertgray3 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:29 am
PreAl wroteMost people use the default installation folder paths supplied for each plugin, which means plugins get installed all over the place. If you have a predefined folder structure, and then point to the installers to their locations like this:

C:\plugins\vst\32bit
C:\plugins\vst\64bit

Then studio can be pointed to C:\plugins\vst\64bit and 32bit plugins can be ignored.

This is one of imo many cases where Apple's insistence that people do it their way works really well. On Mac, you really have to go out of your way to install a plugin in a different directory than /Application Support/Audio/Plug-ins/Components, and the OS is going to (rightfully) fight you every step of the way

Also, if there's a permissions error during scanning, you know exactly where to look, as there's one folder.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by miked7 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:01 pm
Just to follow up, a different day, same PC, a different boot up...

Boot up times:
First: 3:23
Second: :33 sec

1016 Plugins...

---- - ----
Studio One Pro 6.5 | Apollo Twin Duo USB | Win10 | AMD Ryzen 3 | 32GB RAM | SSDs
SoundCloud | Project 9732 | Komplex 2
by romello on Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:18 pm
i have same problem with start up, may s1 canot work without scan old file, so all always start from the begining, studio one just make binary computing memory for remember old file, so when start again s1 just scan new plugin
by craigallen2 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:01 pm
Over 6 minutes startup scan for 1070 plugins!

Windows 10. S1 v5, latest. 9700K CPU.
1 folder: C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins. (confirmed in RegEdit as default).

What is different about you Windows users getting less than 30-second startup scans each day?

I just turned OFF "Scan at Startup".
If helpful to anyone, it is located: Options>Locations>VST Plugin-Ins
by atom5 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:29 pm
Funkybot wrote

Any update on this issue?

108 plugins and 19-20 sec to scan.

It took less than 2 sec before. Trying to figure out what's causing the slow scan. I'm suspecting that the problem has something to do with the disk read speed in my case because it's not only the plugin scan speed at start-up but pretty much every loading speed (like loading samples from presence xt) that became slower at some point in past.

----
Studio One Pro 4.6.2;
SSL2 (USB AI);
Win10 Education 1909 (64-bit);
AMD Ryzen7 3700X (8-core 3.59Ghz); AMD Radeon RX570; 16GB RAM(TEAM DDR4 2666Mhz); Sandisk SSD ultra 3d 1TB(SATA3.0); ASRock B450 Steel Legend
by stefanrauch1 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:50 am
Nothing new to report here unfortunately.. 1st start excruciatingly long, 2nd start acceptable.
It would be nice if the "plugin manager" was actually able to manage plugins and remove the uninstalled from the list.

OS: Win10 x64 || Software: Studio One Pro [latest version]
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X || Asus Prime X570-PRO || 64GB DDR4 RAM || Asus Dual-RTX2070S-A8G-EVO || UAD2 Octo & Duo PCIe
Peripherals: RME Fireface UFX II (+2x ADA8200) || Faderport Legacy || Atom || NI Komplete Kontrol A25
Audio Settings: 44,1/48kHz, 256 Samples, DP Off, 64 Bit
by Lokeyfly on Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:51 am
I have 1400 headaches. :P

IanM5 wrote: "They probably take less time to scan than it takes you to decide which one of those 1400 plugins to use. :D"

That was on time!

Because someone asked on startup times:
5 seconds when not scanning plugins at startup.
9-11 seconds when scanning plugins at startup.
Startup times will also vary based on song, instruments, effects used, parameter, and mapping density.

By saving new song versions, and remove instrument when rendering (after all, the instruments are there in an older song version), startup times are pretty fast. Some users have startups way faster than mine.

A typical song where I haven't yet rendered to audio because I like to keep the ability to tweek instruments as long as possible (particularly drums and bass) are about 30 seconds to start. I'm fully satisfied with that down time because that's a lot of information being set up. All instantly available when called upon.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by edwine1 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:34 am
stefanrauch1 wroteNothing new to report here unfortunately.. 1st start excruciatingly long, 2nd start acceptable.
It would be nice if the "plugin manager" was actually able to manage plugins and remove the uninstalled from the list.

"Remove Plugin Settings" should amend that for you.

Windows 10 64bit
16gb RAM
Studio One 6 Pro
Melodyne 5 Editor
Notion 6
Focusrite 2i2 (3rd Gen)
GTX 1050ti
SSD Main Drive; 4x Sample SSD
Asrock B85m Motherboard

S1 user since v2
by stefanrauch1 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:13 pm
"Remove Plugin Settings" just triggers a Deep Scan of plugins at S1 startup, which takes forever.
The aim here is to NOT have to have "Scan at startup" enabled to reduce startup time and still being able to add & REMOVE plugins.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X || Asus Prime X570-PRO || 64GB DDR4 RAM || Asus Dual-RTX2070S-A8G-EVO || UAD2 Octo & Duo PCIe
Peripherals: RME Fireface UFX II (+2x ADA8200) || Faderport Legacy || Atom || NI Komplete Kontrol A25
by edwine1 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:41 pm
stefanrauch1 wrote"Remove Plugin Settings" just triggers a Deep Scan of plugins at S1 startup, which takes forever.
The aim here is to NOT have to have "Scan at startup" enabled to reduce startup time and still being able to add & REMOVE plugins.

Let me get this right: You want Studio One to be able to show you your new added plugins and/or not to show you plugins that you have removed. At the same time you do not want Studio One to scan for new and/or deleted plugins. This seems to me like you want to shower, but don't want to get wet! :roll:

Windows 10 64bit
16gb RAM
Studio One 6 Pro
Melodyne 5 Editor
Notion 6
Focusrite 2i2 (3rd Gen)
GTX 1050ti
Asrock B85m Motherboard

S1 user since v2
by Bub on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:54 pm
Jemusic wroteMelodyne can hold up the boot-up process but other than that it should be pretty fast.

I know I'm quoting an old part of this thread but I wanted to mention this in case it may help someone reading this thread.

I was scanning 500 + plugins and booting up to the start menu in a few seconds on my new DAW I built several years ago. A couple updates to S1 later (V3 IIRC) and my system would hang at Melodyne during bootup. It took a 2 second bootup and turned it in to 15 plus iirc. Basically twice as slow as my old i5 low end system I was running off of thumb drives. Seriously, for a time I ran S1 off thumb drives with zero issues.

It was like that 4 ~ 5 years after I asked for help here, at Presonus, Celemony. Nobody had an answer. Uninstalled S1 and reinstalled. Uninstalled all my plugins and reinstalled. Nothing worked. In fact, Celemony tech support never responded at all. A few months ago I finally decided to take the plunge and update Melodyne to Studio 5. Poof ... problem went away. Everything is back to normal now and booting up in a few seconds. Just thought I'd mention that for what it's worth. Was it some kind of built in obsolescence to encourage people to want to upgrade? I don't know.

And yeah as others have said Sonar/CbB's plug-in scanning is set up far better.

And btw, I have no idea how I have 500 plugins on my system. I don't dabble in free stuff much and I have fewer than 30 in my favorites that I use. And I could probably do away with half of those. In a nice way I'm trying to say I'm not so sure S1's plugin count/scanning method is entirely accurate.

I have a dedicated folder for free things that I try and I have S1 and CbB pointed to that folder. And I do not ever install a freebie that requires an executable install. If it doesn't come zipped where I can just drag the file to my "FREEVST" folder, it doesn't get installed.

I can only assume that some functions in our DAW's are actually VST's that scan as VST on startup, but we don't actually see them as available VST's? I don't know. But I can't explain why I have over 500.

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.
by edwine1 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:07 pm
Excluding Microsoft Defender from scanning your Vst/sample folders helps considerably. Especially on first start-up.

Windows 10 64bit
16gb RAM
Studio One 6 Pro
Melodyne 5 Editor
Notion 6
Focusrite 2i2 (3rd Gen)
GTX 1050ti
Asrock B85m Motherboard

S1 user since v2
by stefanrauch1 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:10 pm
edwine1 wrote
stefanrauch1 wrote"Remove Plugin Settings" just triggers a Deep Scan of plugins at S1 startup, which takes forever.

Let me get this right: You want Studio One to be able to show you your new added plugins and/or not to show you plugins that you have removed. At the same time you do not want Studio One to scan for new and/or deleted plugins. This seems to me like you want to shower, but don't want to get wet! :roll:

Wouldn't you agree, if you click "Update Plugin List" in the plugin manager, that changes to plugins on your computer should be recognized and reflected in the resulting updated plugin list?
Wouldn't you also agree, that if "Update Plugin List" adds newly installed plugins to the list (which it does), that it should remove uninstalled plugins from the list as well? Astonishingly it does not.
But if it did both, wouldn't you then agree, that there was no need for a plugin scan every startup of S1 anymore, because in case there actually was a change of plugins on your computer you could do the scan manually from the plugin manager instead of wasting time on every S1 startup?

Would you be satisfied with a shower, that has water supply, but no drain?
Last edited by stefanrauch1 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by edwine1 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:39 pm
stefanrauch1 wrote
edwine1 wrote

Wouldn't you agree, if you click "Update Plugin List" in the plugin manager, that changes to plugins on your computer should be recognized and reflected in the resulting updated plugin list?
Wouldn't you also agree, that if "Update Plugin List" adds newly installed plugins to the list, that it should also remove uninstalled plugins from the list as well?
If yes, wouldn't you agree, that you then do not need a plugin scan at every startup of S1 anymore, because in case there actually was a change of plugins on your computer you could do the scan manually from the plugin manager instead of wasting time on every S1 startup?

Would you be satisfied with a shower, that has water supply, but no drain?

But Studio One would still have to scan each and every VST folder to know that there has been a alteration. There is other way around it. It's the nature of the beast. Ordinarily, it takes seconds to scan plugin folders (mine takes 2 to 3 seconds). If your start-up takes much longer than this, you (or whomever) either have too many plugins; dodgy plugins; poor hard drive maintenance; Windows Defender is scanning VST folders for viruses (then one needs to exclude it from doing so) or an inadequate computer system (which, I see you do not have).

Windows 10 64bit
16gb RAM
Studio One 6 Pro
Melodyne 5 Editor
Notion 6
Focusrite 2i2 (3rd Gen)
GTX 1050ti
Asrock B85m Motherboard

S1 user since v2
by stefanrauch1 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:45 pm
I don't seem to be able to get my point across to you. That's ok.

phpBB [video]

45 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3