40 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hi,

I'm rally saddened that Presonus still hasn't improved this in version 5. In Cubase, by holding the middle click you can move horizontaly and verticaly in Midi editor, tracks etc, it's perfect. Doing this by holding a keyboard key then left click like in most graphic design softwares would also be fine.

But in Studio one, when it comes to navigating horizontaly it's a nightmare. Options are:

- Using the scrollbars like in the stone age
- Holding shift and scroll, which is un-intuitive, scroll speed is slow and it really would be better to be able to move on both axis in the same time
- in the editor click and hold on the timeline, but if you go up or down it also changes the zoom
- Jiggling the mouse wheel left and right which is even slower and uncomfortable

I've switched to Cubase for most of my projects and what i find is that while Studio One is way faster at setting up my tracks, instruments, but that when it comes to actually writing music or recording it is really slow, mainly because of this. It's really sad that this has never been addressed. There's a feature request from 2017 that got about 60 votes but this way it we'll probably be years because the team notices it.

Intel i7 6700k
12go DDR4 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
by Bbd on Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:55 pm
A nightmare?
Can you post the link here to the FR you mentioned?
Thanks.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by PreAl on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:02 pm
I bought a fader port to get around this... Sadly it didn't quite work the way I hoped...

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=28683

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Sodium on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:28 pm
Bbd wroteA nightmare?
Can you post the link here to the FR you mentioned?
Thanks.

Hi,

Here it is: https://answers.presonus.com/8785/smart ... ddle-click

Not sure wheter using the middle click for both things would be the most efficient way or if it would be better with keyboard key to hold (space in Photoshop) either way both would work.

I might be slightly exaggerating with the word "nightmare" but surely, once you've gotten used to it in Cubase or other apps you can only feel the pain for not having it. It's a small thing, but in UX small things go a long way.

There are a lot of things i really don't like doing in Cubase but well, no i end up using Studio One only for quick voice recording since it's so much easier to setup.

Intel i7 6700k
12go DDR4 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
by PreAl on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:06 pm
Voted. I've voted for more stuff than I have all last year.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Bbd on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:08 pm
OK. I voted it up now. Thanks for the link.

This new release has so many great features that I am sorry you can't take advantage of them.
The devs are working hard and some FR's get precedence over others as I am sure you realize.
Some huge ones we just got were after-touch, notation editing, and mixer scenes. Many have been waiting for those including myself for a long time now.

Bottom line is that S1 is being developed and supported with the user in mind and we will see improvements and new options for it in the future for sure. There are many thousands that are enjoying where this software is headed.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Tacman7 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:09 pm
Contour Shuttle with the jog wheel, where first click moves by measures then next click by two measure etc.

You can get jammin maan.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by PreAl on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:13 pm
Tacman7 wroteContour Shuttle with the jog wheel, where first click moves by measures then next click by two measure etc.

You can get jammin maan.

On windows or Mac?
I checked and it's on V2. Does it actually work on studio one? How effective is it?

by Tacman7 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:18 pm
I use Windows. It works by sending out keystrokes so you set up the buttons with keyboard shortcuts or macros of keyboard shortcuts. I really miss it when I'm on different computer.

Works well in S1

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by Sodium on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:19 pm
Thanks for the support.

I'm not saying Presonus is doing a bad word, i love most of Studio One's workflow and i upgraded anyway and i retried doing some midi writing and.... meh, it's still a pain. I think that maybe a lot of users don't know that this even exists in other softwares so they don't miss it.

Intel i7 6700k
12go DDR4 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
by Lokeyfly on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:43 am
@ Sodium - You can try if you like some items such as a touchmouse or other hardware to influence quicker scrolling through a song.

To my surprise, a touchmouse worked in a pretty cool way. By moving the index finger across the top of the mouse, scrolling would whisk by very quickly or smoothly.

Other items such as a Faderport help to some degree. Only its a biy notchy with the detents on the scroll wheel. You also can however cut to chase by having points be recalled to go back to for instant return to for example a repeated edit point.

Try markers which seems to be one of the best multi position ways of getting to places. All you need to do is use numbers or your number keypad if you have one, and it's a one button affair.

You could even custom set your center scroll wheel if that helps ro a unique key command.

For better or worse, one will develop new ways of working.
Hope this helps.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by PreAl on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 am
Lokeyfly wroteOther items such as a Faderport help to some degree. .

Not for me, check my link above.

by Lokeyfly on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:43 am
PreAl wrote
Lokeyfly wroteOther items such as a Faderport help to some degree. .

Not for me, check my link above.

Yeah, either by measure or by beat, the FP movement is not great. Particularly compared with comparable mix controllers with smooth (infinite) control wheels. Both the FP's notched knob, and S1's lack of scrubbing add to those points users come up with, including myself about why some serious Studio conventions are not improved on in Studio One, while other new items (thankfully yes) get all the development attention. It makes for a lot of half baked goods.

I suggest we wait, and let the new release run, while the staff gleam ear to ear. Give them their place in the Sun. Then we fire on all guns (politely) why past features, past conventions, and past requests have been ignored. When that occurs, we can hopefully get an answer by someone of some corporate clout to answer when will those items be addressed. I'd suggest we keep it to 6 or 8 items, but ask, what is up?
A few items should be :
*Polyphonic Aftertouch
*Scrub feature, with related smooth or defined scroll/time line positioning.
*Real time Velocity meter for instruments (not just some on/off pseudo fake level meter. Acceptable would be 0-127 as in MIDI (or equivalant).
*Skip ahead (reverse) loop
*comparatively wonky Chord track, and Step Sequencer.
*Retrospective record/last take capture
Etc.
May not be the most requested, but they are legitimate conventions that should be there.

Btw Al, I only brought up the FP because the OP was looking for some other fast, means of panning through a project. The FP is helpful, but not ideal either (agreed).

Dont wish to derail the subject so keep the above on the back burner. ;)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by scottyo7 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:07 pm
I have a MS Contour Mouse with a center scroll wheel that also acts as another click key.

AND... this center key also moves/toggles right and left which does indeed allow me to scroll horizontally either way both in the Song Page/window and Midi Editor. ;)

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by Lokeyfly on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:37 pm
scottyo7 wroteI have a MS Contour Mouse with a center scroll wheel that also acts as another click key.

AND... this center key also moves/toggles right and left which does indeed allow me to scroll horizontally either way both in the Song Page/window and Midi Editor. ;)

There are some really good choices for mouse hardware that scrolls through both edit and arrange views.

Some will have their concerns but I think some useful options were covered. :+1

The contour shuttle express is a good one, and goes for about $60 US on Amazon.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Tacman7 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:26 pm
I don't know, once you get used to that you want more...

The extra buttons can hold macros that are created inside the shuttle software.

The two buttons to the left and right of the jog wheel are perfect for setting the loop locators.

These are $100

shuttle.jpg

Forum Moderator.

by PreAl on Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:37 pm
I notice the new Atom controller has a dial, I've seen it demo'd and it does scroll through the timeline, how effective I dont know.

by Sodium on Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:06 am
I know there are workarounds. There are always workarounds in life. But i'd really prefer for them to fix something that looks pretty straightforward instead of buying new hardware, which still won't be as intuitive as just holding a key and move around. Maybe i'll write to Presonus see if i can get some of their attention on this matter. They'll probably say that it's in their todo list for the next five years or so but it's worth trying anyway.

Intel i7 6700k
12go DDR4 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
by Tacman7 on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:16 am
There are keys that do that already.

I much prefer my hardware.

The plus key and minus key on the keypad move the timeline, that's reverse and forward in the key commands.

There's a better option that I prefer is hold down the shift key and hit plus and minus.

That's called forward bar and reverse bar. I would change that to the keys you want to use.

That's the shortcut the shuttle is sending to S1. You can do it with keys. Moving by bars can move around pretty quick.

Never had a need for reverse and forward cause I never want to start playback between measures.

These shortcuts are under transport in the shortcuts.

Forum Moderator.

by gregghart on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:30 am
Most mice these days have a wheel that can be "pushed" to the right and left. That does scroll SO5. In case you haven't tried that. And then holding CTRL while pushing the wheel to the right or left zooms in horizontally. Pretty slick.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com

40 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2