18 posts
Page 1 of 1
Greetings,

I purchased and installed the upgrade to 5. Man, is Presonus popular :) Anyway, it mostly went off without a hitch. Routine was quick and activation was automatic. It also appears everything got translated to the new install (settings, songs, projects, external devices, audio interface, etc).

My 4 install is also intact. I assume this allows parallel operation during the break-in period (see first question). I am safe there as Studio One is not yet my primary DAW. It will be, once I am comfortable inside it.

I am relatively new to Studio One and this is my first full number upgrade. I did have one issue and also have a few questions. I would like to say that before posting this, I spent a fair bit of time trying to find answers elsewhere:

issue:
-the upgrade wanted to install Documentation as well as Demos/Tutorials. When I OK'd this, it failed. I also tried to download download manually in the program at midnight. That failed as well. I am assuming this was due to heavy demand on the website. I was able to download the items manually from my Presonus account. Is this due to the unusually heavy demand on the website? Or is there an issue with the installation?

-questions:
-I installed 5 into the parent folder of version 4. It's OK. There is no cross pollination. Was that the correct decision? Just want to make sure the intent was not to install over top of version 4.
-are all projects in 4 useable in 5 without modification/translation?
-Docs and Demos were the only content items offered for installation. I assume that upgrade checked for installed content and only offered what was not already installed. Is that correct? Or should I be downloading other items as well?
-once I am satisfied that 4 is no longer needed, can it be uninstalled?
-thinking about the possible need to reinstall in future, do I have to keep both the version 5 and 4 installers, or will the 5 installer be considered full?
-I am really excited about the imbedded notation routine. Does this affect moving scores between Studio One and Notion? Does Notion require an upgrade as a result of 5?

Perhaps these questions seem rather obvious. However, I would rather ask and be thought a fool, than go off half cocked, screw it up; and remove all doubt.

Hope this finds you all well,
Graham
by mivey on Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:36 am
Here goes :)

grahamderreck wroteissue:
-the upgrade wanted to install Documentation as well as Demos/Tutorials. When I OK'd this, it failed. I also tried to download download manually in the program at midnight. That failed as well. I am assuming this was due to heavy demand on the website. I was able to download the items manually from my Presonus account. Is this due to the unusually heavy demand on the website? Or is there an issue with the installation?

Most likely due to the heavy demand

grahamderreck wrote-I installed 5 into the parent folder of version 4. It's OK. There is no cross pollination. Was that the correct decision? Just want to make sure the intent was not to install over top of version 4.

To get a more accurate answer for this, you should include details of your configuration in your signature. You're likely to be asked to do this at some point anyway so best to cover yourself in advance.

I'm a Mac user so while I can't say if that's "Okay" for a Windows system I know the general recommendation is to keep the versions separated. So while you have already stated that its working, I would have suggested installing version 5 to an entirely different directory as is often recommended per Presonus.

grahamderreck wrote-are all projects in 4 useable in 5 without modification/translation?

All v.4 Projects should work fine in v.5 per my tests and understanding but if you save any of your work in v.5 you won't be able to open them in v.4 again. I have fully confirmed this and you'll get a warning to remind you should you attempt to do it.

grahamderreck wrote-Docs and Demos were the only content items offered for installation. I assume that upgrade checked for installed content and only offered what was not already installed. Is that correct? Or should I be downloading other items as well?

Not entirely correct. It's an option that you can decide whether or not you'd like to do but there is new and modified content within v.5 that didn't exist in v4 so you should download the new content

grahamderreck wrote-once I am satisfied that 4 is no longer needed, can it be uninstalled?
-thinking about the possible need to reinstall in future, do I have to keep both the version 5 and 4 installers, or will the 5 installer be considered full?

Correct on first question and see my previous comment on the second regarding backward compatibility

grahamderreck wrote-I am really excited about the imbedded notation routine. Does this affect moving scores between Studio One and Notion? Does Notion require an upgrade as a result of 5?

I'm not a Notion user so can't answer this. I'm sure there are other far more qualified to answer this one for you and there will likely be more comments added here anyway.

Good Luck :thumbup:

=============================
iMac Pro
MacOSX 10.15.5 (Catalina)
8-Core 3.8GHz Xenon
256GB RAM

Universal Apollo x8p
Presonus Quantum 26x32
Studio One 4.6.2
by grahamderreck on Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:57 am
Thanks mivey,

-I'll update my info for future reference.

-I didn't explain myself clearly. 5 is installed in a Presonus directory. 4 is contained there in a directory of its own. They are segregated.

-have downloaded, and will install, all of the content linked on my Studio One v5 page.

-my installer question was regarding the Studio One installer file itself. I purchased the upgrade and had access to an installer (yeah I know that's obvious, but bear with me). I was asking if, in the event I need to reinstall Studio One again, say for example on a fresh copy of Windows, do I need both the version 4 and 5 installers? Or is the version 5 installer all that's required? I would guess 5 will be sufficient, given that I also have version 4 registered with Presonus. Just wanted to make sure.

Your help is much appreciated.

Have a good one,
Graham
by mivey on Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:09 am
Sorry, yeah I guess I didn't clearly understand that question as you intended. ;)

Version 4 and 5 are separate self-contained installers.

So if you wanted to install either of those versions onto another computer, you'd only need the installer corresponding to the version you wanted to install.

I guess you were wanting to know if the 5 upgrade requires the version 4 to be installed first. So the answer would be No.

Again, I'd also emphasize that I'm on a Mac and that statement is very accurate in that respect so I would seriously doubt the answer would be any different for a PC

Hope that helps

=============================
iMac Pro
MacOSX 10.15.5 (Catalina)
8-Core 3.8GHz Xenon
256GB RAM

Universal Apollo x8p
Presonus Quantum 26x32
Studio One 4.6.2
by grahamderreck on Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:41 am
Thanks again mivey
by leosutherland on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:04 am
If I was to install v5 in a parallel folder to V4, would this still have all the locations of my VSTs still setup, or do I have to re-add all the Locations?

If I have a V4 song and I load it into V5, would all the instruments and effects still be there?

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2
Serum, Diva, Synthmaster, Massive, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt/Reaktor, Xpand!2+AIEP3, PPG Wave 3.V, KLC,
Reference 4, Reverberate Core

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC (Main DAW)
Windows 10 x64 (1903)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR4-2666, 1TB 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

MSI GE62VR 7RF Apache Pro (Standby DAW)
Windows 10 x64 (1903)
Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz, 16GB, 500GB 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB 860 SATA III SSD

> Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros
> JBL 305P II speakers
by grahamderreck on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 am
Hey leo,

I have to be careful as this is my first upgrade. However, it appears that my plugins, songs and projects are showing up in version 5. The plugin manager is showing the folders I set up as targets for VSTs
by edwine1 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:51 am
Version 5 will be backwards compatible. But not the other way round. If you open a song in 5 that was created in 4, it will no longer be usable in 4. There may be sonic differences in your music due to the improvements of the stock plugins that were not your intent. It is good advice to not update whilst you are working on a song/songs because there may be issues. Notion and Melodyne got updates too.

Windows 10 64bit
16gb RAM
Studio One 5 Pro
Focusrite 2i2 (3rd Gen)
GTX 1050ti
SSD Main Drive; 2x Sample SSD
Asrock B85m Motherboard
by grahamderreck on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:51 am
Greetings,

OK. So it appears that most of the additional content has installed in version 5, even though the install interface in Studio One said 'Failed'. I wouldn't have even known items were being installed had it not been for the fact that I tried to close S1, and got a warning that items were transferring.

The items that did not install, were the user guide and demos.

I tried installing the user guide from Studio One, but it kept creating another 'StudioOne5ReferenceManualEnglish.install' file. The way I got that to work was to right click the file and have it 'Open With' Studio One. Studio One opened and offered to install the help file. That's kinda weird.

I have no idea how to install the demos and tutorials. Studio One installed a zip file with the data and a couple of XML files, but that's it. Can someone help me with that?

You know, given that just about everything else in Studio One (including installers) works quite well; you'd think that installing additional content would be a breeze. It's not. Maybe Presonus could fix this or at least explain why it doesn't work so well...and what to do about it. Failing that, perhaps one of the experienced and talented users, and there are many, could help.

Presonus, fix (or explain) the additional content installation process eccentricities, and you get 10 out of 10 for upgradeability.

Thanks,
Graham
by leosutherland on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:49 am
grahamderreck wroteHey leo,

I have to be careful as this is my first upgrade. However, it appears that my plugins, songs and projects are showing up in version 5. The plugin manager is showing the folders I set up as targets for VSTs

Cool, thanks. I couldn't remember what happened when I upgraded from v3 to v4 - old age comes to us all :D

edwine1 wroteVersion 5 will be backwards compatible. But not the other way round. If you open a song in 5 that was created in 4, it will no longer be usable in 4. There may be sonic differences in your music due to the improvements of the stock plugins that were not your intent. It is good advice to not update whilst you are working on a song/songs because there may be issues. Notion and Melodyne got updates too.

Cheers, on second look, it was a redundant question - all such settings would be in the song folder somewhere anyway - but as you say, settings done and saved in v5 would not be read correctly by v4.

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2
Serum, Diva, Synthmaster, Massive, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt/Reaktor, Xpand!2+AIEP3, PPG Wave 3.V, KLC,

Windows 10 x64 (1903)

Windows 10 x64 (1903)
Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz, 16GB, 500GB 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB 860 SATA III SSD

> JBL 305P II speakers
by CSeye on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:08 am
grahamderreck wrote-I am really excited about the imbedded notation routine. Does this affect moving scores between Studio One and Notion? Does Notion require an upgrade as a result of 5?

The Score View does not interfere with the existing S1-Notion file transfer process aka interoperability. It does give you the option to work with notation first in S1 and tranfer to Notion later if you like.

You may be prompted to install the latest version of Notion which is 6.7.489 on Mac.

2017 MBP/2012 Mini, macOS 10.15.5, S1 5, Notion 6.7.489, Eris 5, FaderPort8, silverface Apollo Quad-TB, Integra 7, MIDI guitar controllers, Novation SL MKll for CC - no Automap!
by grahamderreck on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:09 am
Thanks CS
by matthewgorman on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:17 am
leosutherland wroteIf I was to install v5 in a parallel folder to V4, would this still have all the locations of my VSTs still setup, or do I have to re-add all the Locations?

If I have a V4 song and I load it into V5, would all the instruments and effects still be there?

The V5 install will import location preferences from V4, so you SHOULD be ok.

V4 song will load to V5, but some native effects and instruments may have changed, so it may not sound the same.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V4
by dominicwperry on Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:53 pm
edwine1 wrote There may be sonic differences in your music due to the improvements of the stock plugins that were not your intent.

Yes, this is a constant problem with Studio One, and not just major versions. You should be able to revisit old songs and they should sound the same. Other DAWs manage it. The alternative is to preserve every single version of every single installation and only open songs with the version they were created in. Not really an acceptable answer.

MacBook Pro 15, mid2015, i7 at 2.5GHz, OS 10.15.4, S1 Pro 4.6.1 UAD Apollos & Satellites 9.11.0, RME ADI-2 PRO FS
by leosutherland on Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:10 am
Just a note on upgrading in general, not just V4 to V5.

In case it is relevant to anyone, I could not upgrade to V5 because I ran out of space on my (SSD) system disk. There are 4 partitions on the disk (configured as GPT) including a Boot partition and the C: drive. I used Minitools Partition Wizard v12 to clone the disk to a 1Tb SSD, but that failed when trying to clone the C: drive.

I got a dialog telling me the partition was active and could not be copied and I should restart the machine and let MTPW continue, er, except it didn't - at this point, I entered the :roll: zone ;)

I contacted Minitools support, and they promptly send a link to a user_special version of MTPW. This solved the problem, everything cloned fine, so far everything running OK - I now have an extra 500GB-odd to fill up with musical stuff, so I can now get around to upgrading to V5 - except I may well follow advice and hang back from doing that for a while :D

So FWIW if you are in this situation, contact Minitools and they will get you sorted

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2

Windows 10 x64 (1903)

Windows 10 x64 (1903)

> JBL 305P II speakers
by grahamderreck on Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:17 am
Tbanks Leo
by gregghart on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:47 am
I'm not sure I understand one of the questions or answers that the OP asked....about new content. Were you asking if you should redownload the extra stuff such as loops, instruments, etc?

And if that is what you were asking, is the answer yes? We should?

Win10x64 (Eng), Studio One 3.5 / 4.1, 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Focusrite 18i8. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61, Presonus FaderPort 8.

Please upvote this request for Pattern Editor: https://answers.presonus.com/28571/patt ... 571#q28571
by grahamderreck on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:31 am
This may not help. I want to be careful, as I am relatively new to Studio One. The v5 installation routine imported the settings and data; very well as a matter of fact.

As you know, Studio One has additional downloads for plugins, demos and documentation. Some of that content has changed with the arrival of v5. I dont know exactly what content to reinstall, apart from the new help file, demos and tutorials. Those have changed for sure. It was suggested that I do a fresh installation of the additional content. Better to do the extra work and know.

I reinsalled all 33 or so items in a location separate from the v4 content. That way, when 5 is ready for production, I can remove v4. I would be careful to ensure that settings, plugin database and folders, songs, presets and projects don't go away.

I think it would be great if one of our gurus (I say that with respect) would make a video covering a full number upgrade.

18 posts
Page 1 of 1