608 postsPage 25 of 31
1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31
PreAl wrote
georgegalanos1 wroteMy friend I am a musician and a producer, my job is to produce records, it is NOT being a programmer nor even to know what a bug is. I don't even care. I Pay for the tools I use to make records, and their job is to simply work. When they don't then I am into trouble.

Nobody is going to optimize and troubleshoot your computer and your setup other than you. Unless you want to pay somebody to do it for you.

If you aren't paying then that's your job. Your environment is your responsibility. That's what being a "pro" is all about. If you don't like tech solutions then buy an analogue mixing desk and tape recorder (which btw will still require regular maintenance).

If you think this should all be Plug and Play then you are living in Disneyland.

My friend, I own a 200000€ Neve desk, and tape machines etc, as I said English is not my native language maybe I do not communicate what I mean in the right way. All I said was that I don't know if naming something a bug is the right phrase or not. I set up my own machines for 20 years, I have 4 in my home studio end another 3 in my Recording studio, I set them all up my self, I don't leave in any Disneyland. But I don't want to elaborate on that any further. I respect everybody's point of view and opinion. My opinion, working 25 years in recording studios, and finally owning one, as to what a professional product is, should be, and the right approach by a professional company who makes software of any kind, is a little bit different. But I will not go into that, there is no point. After all its just my opinion. Trust me, I know my machines. That of course does bot make me an expert, nor do I have the time, to constantly search what is going on, what problems or solutions do come up etc. Frankly, to this day, I didnt even know what a problem is, apart from some minus acceptable ones. Not being able to work at all, is a totally different ball game. Anyway thank you all for your time, take care.
by PreAl on Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:38 pm
Well when I first worked on Neves in the late 80s we had in house maintenance engineers come in and fix any issue on that and any other outboard gear. Spare channels were laying around in case of issues.

And don't remind me up about lining up tape machines.

Things have changed, everybody seems to be a one man band.

Ultimately getting your gear working optimally is your responsibility, until you pay somebody to do it for you. Best of luck.

Studio One Pro 5, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom Pad, Atom SQ, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).

Intel i9 9900K, 32GB RAM,
EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
by Anderton on Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:48 pm
georgegalanos1 wroteTrust me, I know my machines. That of course does bot make me an expert, nor do I have the time, to constantly search what is going on, what problems or solutions do come up etc. Frankly, to this day, I didnt even know what a problem is, apart from some minus acceptable ones. Not being able to work at all, is a totally different ball game. Anyway thank you all for your time, take care.

Believe me, I understand!!! I wrote an article for Pro Sound News over 7 years ago called Stability Wars. Here are the first two paragraphs:

As we become ever-more dependent on computers, we increasingly run the risk of being blindsided by our tools. For years, I’ve been saying that compatibility and system stability would become only more problematic. But it turned out I was wrong—they’ve become much more problematic.

Any DAW forum has thread after thread complaining about “bugs” in the software. Although often user error, the issue goes far deeper. Today’s operating systems are so complex, with so many interdependencies, that it’s impossible to know how they’re going to work until they’re in millions of systems...

You might find the rest of the article interesting as well, it explains why we're in this mess, and how we're limited in the ways we can respond to this issue. I wish I had an answer.

Digital storefront: craiganderton.com
Free educational site: craiganderton.org
Music: youtube.com/thecraiganderton
Studio One eBooks: shop.presonus.com
by georgegalanos1 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:58 pm
Anderton wrote
georgegalanos1 wroteAre [other person] actually suggesting that people enrolling in to sphere, should download the installers, pay for 6 months and then install everything? Cause I didn't see an option to install ver 4..6. anywhere.

Installers for previous versions are in your account. They are always the most recent version of the previous generation, for example, your V4 will be v4.6.2 build 58729, released on June 20, 2020.

Also note that the intention of Sphere isn't just to deliver the software, but the accessories and add-ons (I think that includes things like the CTC-1 and XT Editor) as well as members-only events, storage, and collaboration. I would recommend re-installing 4.6 and having it co-exist with 5.0. PreSonus has a history of doing relatively fast point updates after a release, so stay current with 5.0 updates and see if your problems are solved.

Also, this is a clean installation of win10 64 pro, done coupe of months ago. Still trying to figure this thing out, at 6 am I the morning, I think I noticed some settings were changed in my Bios, no clue as to why.

Assuming you're using Intel processors, have you used Intel's free Driver and Support Assistant program? I check it after EVERY Windows update, even the Patch Tuesdays. There are almost always BIOS and driver updates after major updates. I've had issues with USB, Wi-Fi, BIOS, graphics, and other issues that it has fixed.

Unfortunately, computers need to be maintained, even Macs. An analogy would be never changing the oil in your car and then not understanding why the car doesn't run any more. Bear in mind that software companies need to make sure their programs will run with the latest versions of operating systems, which may break compatibility with older versions. This isn't just a PreSonus thing by any means. Yet another problem is re-installing an older program that overwrites newer files...it's a mess. The best thing I ever did was buy a custom computer integrated specifically for audio so that if I had any problems, I could just call the company, say "fix it," have them do a remote desktop session, and get on with my life. Spending a few extra hundred dollars has saved me thousands of dollars in time.

I can confirm that Windows antivirus protection was On when I downloaded, other than that, this PC is not even connected to the internet,don't have antivirus running. To be honest, no I am not aware of this, I never even heard of it, if I understand correctly, are you saying that when I download and install updates to switch antivirus off? I was not aware at all of this and never had any issues for the past 15 years or so.

Then you've been fortunate. If you search on "turn off anti-virus when installing" the first hit will be TurboTax telling you that if you have problems installing the program, to turn off anti-virus. The problem is that if a program has to delve into the system itself, the anti-virus program might think it's an attack. For more information, click here.. Often installation documentation recommends turning off anti-virus software. At this point, many companies consider it such a common practice they don't mention it any more. I hope this helps you.

My friend, I don't know if you are Craig, From Friday tips, I elaborated about this on the long comments on your blog, :)))) if that is you of course, there is no point starting again. I really wanted to thank you for your effort, and help. I was not aware of some of your advice, and it was helpful, and I thank you. Simply I never had any issue, so I never had to look at any utilities, etc. My systems were running perfectly. Right now I have huge problems with 4.6 as well, so maybe something else is going on. I don't see any other solution than to format and start again at this point. Maybe it happened by chance, maybe it was the SO5 installation, I don't know. I never experienced anything like this, not being able to play a note on a VSTi. Up to the day that I installed SO5 I ran complex mixes and my CPU never went above 20%, never had any issues whatsoever, in fact, I never had anything close to that using Studio One since version 3. I will figure it out somehow. I really thank you very much for your time and effort.
by Anderton on Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:09 pm
Good luck!!! I highly recommend you start by running Intel's Driver and Support Assistant. It can't hurt, and could help. Then re-install V4 with anti-virus off, then re-install V5 with anti-virus off. Hopefully that will help. Re-installing your OS should be a last resort, but if you haven't done it in a while, sometimes you just have to accept that Windows deteriorates over time, and re-install.

When you do, make sure you do an image of the drive with only the OS, then do another image after you've installed your programs.

Yes, I'm the Friday Tip guy...and it's Friday, so I hope this tip is useful. :)

by georgegalanos1 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:17 pm
PreAl wroteWell when I first worked on Neves in the late 80s we had in house maintenance engineers come in and fix any issue on that and any other outboard gear. Spare channels were laying around in case of issues.

And don't remind me up about lining up tape machines.

Things have changed, everybody seems to be a one man band.

Ultimately getting your gear working optimally is your responsibility, until you pay somebody to do it for you. Best of luck.

Honestly, I don't understand why you keep saying that I need to pay someone to fix a system that was working perfectly. I am not from the US, don't take it for granted that all countries have experts who can do the job. Cause I can tell you, they haven't. But yet again, this has nothing to do with the way I set up the machines. Cause I NEVER had any issues whatsoever. My machines are flying man. ;))))) They just decided to take a break, that's all. :)))))) If I understand correctly though, you are implying that it is something wrong with the machine or the way I set it up, and I experienced issues with this update. I don't think in this particular situation that was the case though. Anyway, all good. Keep moving forward. Thanx again.
by georgegalanos1 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:35 pm
Anderton wroteGood luck!!! I highly recommend you start by running Intel's Driver and Support Assistant. It can't hurt, and could help. Then re-install V4 with anti-virus off, then re-install V5 with anti-virus off. Hopefully that will help. Re-installing your OS should be a last resort, but if you haven't done it in a while, sometimes you just have to accept that Windows deteriorates over time, and re-install.

When you do, make sure you do an image of the drive with only the OS, then do another image after you've installed your programs.

Yes, I'm the Friday Tip guy...and it's Friday, so I hope this tip is useful. :)

This windows installation is 2 months old. I was not aware of the antivirus thing, cause I never have antivirus on any machine that I work on. This is just Windows antivirus, I installed SO 4.5 if I can remember correctly, and it was flying, so I never bothered ( first big mistake) I never saw I glitch so I never looked into it, it seemed to run fine. I do not connect to the internet with the machines I work, other than for the usual updates. The big mistake was that the SO5 update caught me in a very busy time, and not having any issues at all previously, I open up projects and started working immediately, and I ran my self into trouble, already been very frustrated about SO5 changing the sound with some plugs, Of course, I installed alongside 4.6, of course, I backed up everything, of course, everything is up to date, my bios my drivers and everything, That, of course, does not change my point of view on the other things I said on your blog. In my experience, I will be amazed if this problem has anything to do with my machine. honestly. Cause as I said on your blog, I had issues on my Mac in my studio too. Anyway, I will figure it out. Thank you so much man.
by leonseaman on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:05 pm
Anderton wroteAs we become ever-more dependent on computers, we increasingly run the risk of being blindsided by our tools. For years, I’ve been saying that compatibility and system stability would become only more problematic. But it turned out I was wrong—they’ve become much[i] more problematic.

*snip*explains why we're in this mess

Eh? It's never been so easy and accessible (!!?)

System stability and compatibility mess - where exactly? As an audio user it's so simple today vs years gone past.

Any kid can pick a machine off the shelf, pay for a month of sphere, hit install and they're ready to produce, it's fantastically smooth. No undoing of their case and installing/configuring an audio interface, working out RAM allocations, IRQ interrupts, BSODs, third party patch tools, configuring MIDI interfaces/Comms ports etc.

We're so lucky today. Yet many seem to prefer being an echo chamber concentrating on the one thing that isn't so perfect and then spinning it into a frenzy.

Anyone who is seriously troubled when/if an issue occurs, should know the basics in regards to NOT jumping in on early updates, and also should be managing efficient backup plans - That's always been the case.

However, with progression much of that is automated for us too, You install V5 of Studio One, it keeps the previous version. You use time machine/cloning tools/cloud backups - it's all running by itself in the background for when you need it.

Win10 Desktop - I7-4790/IGU/SSD (Main audio machine) | Win10 Laptop - i7-950H/GTX1660Ti/SSD | 12 Core 2012 Xeon Mac Pro | 2008 Mac Pro | 2012 Macbook Pro | 2015 iMac | Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 + ADATs | PreSonus Sphere | Waves | Arturia V Collection | Komplete Suite | Mackie MCU | Yamaha MOXF8 | Roland FA06, System-1, TD-1KV | Korg Microkorg | Komplete S61 Mk2 | Maschine Mk2 | Nektar P6
by Anderton on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:31 pm
Simpler, yes, for all the reasons you mentioned. But just think about all the letters software companies sent out about "for Heaven's sake don't install Catalina yet"...and now we have Apple switching processors, which will be not unlike switching to Intel. Believe me, I'm not complaining. The new processors look like they'll be a big step forward, but it will still be disruptive. Also remember when that was written, we were well past IRQs and such. OSX was already five years old and Windows had been plug and play for a while.

You're right if you're a kid who just wants to run Studio One, no problem. But when you have to integrate video and audio, run multiple programs to accommodate different clients, support both Mac and Windows, and keep current on all your plug-ins and shifting requirements, maintenance takes up a significant amount of time.

A good example is the HD audio drivers that video cards install, whether you want them to or not. The quality of the code varies tremendously. Because they are prioritized for games, they think nothing of buffering 100 ms of audio. After an OS update I couldn't understand why my latency had deteriorated so much. Checked all the usual suspects - plug-ins, ASIO settings, latency adjustments, OS tweaks, nothing made a difference. When I uninstalled the HD audio driver (which of course wasn't actually being used for anything), latency was cut by 75%. I wrote this up for the Cakewalk forums; some people reported it made a huge improvement, others said it didn't make any difference at all. Who would think to look at a driver from a graphics card when all of a sudden their audio latency went nuts? That's the kind of issue that drives me crazy :)

[edit] And in case anyone finds that disabling the HD Audio driver helps, note that Windows sometimes "helpfully" re-installs the missing driver after an update.

by Leightdogg on Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:28 pm
georgegalanos1 wroteAm I the only one who's SO5 spikes like mad?? It is impossible to work anymore. I have done anything I can think of, from BIOS to resetting everything, folders etc. It spikes even if I have one Kick loaded in S Drummer 3. Most of the spikes happen when using instruments, it just won't stop, its random, for no apparent reason. Never had any issues whatsoever with 4.6. I tried any setting I could think of. Including windows, killing all tasks behind, I mean everything. Any help, please, what the heck is going on?? Anyone else having trouble??

If you a WIFI network card installed in your computer, try to disable it and see if the spikes continue...
by Bbd on Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:59 am
Hey guys. This tread was meant as a general v5 discussion thread.
It is turning into specific issues for specific users.
For that, please start a new thread and/or contact Support about your issue please.

Thanks to all.

Bbd

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 5 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 5.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 16GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM
by garyshepherd on Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:08 am
Bbd wroteHey guys. This tread was meant as a general v5 discussion thread.
It is turning into specific issues for specific users.
For that, please start a new thread and/or contact Support about your issue please.

Thanks to all.

That's what happens - specific issues crop up with an update and this is a place for warning, highlighting, or asking for advice. I raised a specific issue but also raised a support ticket elsewhere - this thread was informed of an issue occurring from the update. I can't see what else this thread would talk about.

Gary Shepherd

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Mojave OS 10.14.6, 64 bit, Studio One 5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Digital Performer 10, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 1.93, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Alesis Q49, Audient iD14, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by georgegalanos1 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:14 am
Trying to understand this update, and see what new features where added, I am amazed of how quickly people call a feature great, without testing and getting into it. I just watched Joe Gliders video on Mixer scenes, and once again, how it is presented, and how in reality actually is. You supposed to easily recall full mixes, isn't it? Isn't that what they present? I just tested it and I was AMAZED to see that they have not even considered what is going to happen as soon as you implement automation in the mix. This feature can actually become very dangerous, and you can very easily get confused and lost in your mix. If you actually test it, (for the life of me I do not understand how they can not test things like that) you will see that as soon as you add automation in a track, then this track can not recall its volume in other scenes, as soon as you hit play, it goes back to the same volume. So how can you completely recall mixes? You can recall Plugins on tracks, and that, of course, is great, but as soon as you add automation in your mix, which I can not think a single professional mixer who mixes without any sort of automation, then you can not recall volumes. This again is a very bad approach to a feature added, It can be used for plugins, etc, but not full mixes, the volume on your tracks as soon as you add your tracks to any sort of VCA's and start using automation of any kind, will end up the same. Which to me, as far as recalling full mixes, is Completely useless. So Joe my friend, as soon as you add some sort of automation on your drum tracks, you can not recall that great first scene with the perfect balance that you had. I am sorry. Talk to Presonus about it. Unless of course, you want to completely erase automation from the life of professional mixers.

To this category for me falls the Copy and Paste feature, that they finally decided to add. Again great implementation, but it not thoroughly thought. I use a Faderport 16, and a lot of Macro Button Setups, especially for recording, like having a Threshold from a compressor to a track, and I can very quickly get "a sound" when I record, for monitoring purposes. Same goes for mixing. And once again I was AMAZED that they didn't think, that fully copying a track should carry over all the macro buttons, that's why you copy and paste in the first place. To carry everything. But somehow they forgot that part. So you have Macro buttons, that you can set up, but you can either store the channel as a preset, and then set everything up again after you recall in another track, or you have to do it from the beginning. To me that was a huge feature that I was waiting for, and somehow they managed to still make it unusable for me.
by robertgray3 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:55 am
In my opinion, much like Cubase, Mix Scenes are best for auditioning different inserts in tandem with the Bypass feature. I know a few colleagues in Cubase who use Snapshots all the time, even though their forum was full of similar feelings about the lack of automation recall.

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by garyshepherd on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:05 am
I have been using Mix Scenes to switch between a general monitor mix of all tracks, and then a specific mix for when I am tracking vocals which has various tracks turned off or the volume/faders much lower. For that it is really useful - you can switch back to general listening, and then can switch to tracking - much easier than going through and fiddling with mutes and fader levels.

That I know is not really "mixing", but it is very useful for me when I am recording. I have not touched on the automation thing so it hasn't bothered me yet. But so far Mix Scenes has been a time saver for me.

Gary Shepherd

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Mojave OS 10.14.6, 64 bit, Studio One 5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Digital Performer 10, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 1.93, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Alesis Q49, Audient iD14, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by georgegalanos1 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:26 am
garyshepherd wroteI have been using Mix Scenes to switch between a general monitor mix of all tracks, and then a specific mix for when I am tracking vocals which has various tracks turned off or the volume/faders much lower. For that it is really useful - you can switch back to general listening, and then can switch to tracking - much easier than going through and fiddling with mutes and fader levels.

That I know is not really "mixing", but it is very useful for me when I am recording. I have not touched on the automation thing so it hasn't bothered me yet. But so far Mix Scenes has been a time saver for me.

Totally agreed, and of course, it is a great option and a great feature, and it can be implemented in a lot of ways. But don't go out and start saying to people that you can easily recall your full mixes from the mixer and that you don't have to save different projects to recall your mixes anymore. That is simply UNACCEPTABLE.
by georgegalanos1 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:44 am
robertgray3 wroteIn my opinion, much like Cubase, Mix Scenes are best for auditioning different inserts in tandem with the Bypass feature. I know a few colleagues in Cubase who use Snapshots all the time, even though their forum was full of similar feelings about the lack of automation recall.

Exactly that, You can switch of your global automation and then recall a complete scene, just for auditioning purposes, and of course, you can save different plugins and use that to compare whatever you want in your mix, which again is great, but you can not in any way recall a complete mix. As soon as you use automation, you have to save a different Song File, Taking a snapshot of the mixer, is exactly that. You take a snapshot of your MIXER not YOUR MIX. That's a totally different thing. So recalling a MIX is not possible right now.
by robertgray3 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:32 am
garyshepherd wroteI have been using Mix Scenes to switch between a general monitor mix of all tracks, and then a specific mix for when I am tracking vocals which has various tracks turned off or the volume/faders much lower. For that it is really useful - you can switch back to general listening, and then can switch to tracking - much easier than going through and fiddling with mutes and fader levels.

That's a clever usage of it, I'm going to start using them for that too since it sounds very useful for tracking vocals.

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by leonseaman on Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:59 am
georgegalanos1 wroteBut don't go out and start saying to people that you can easily recall your full mixes from the mixer and that you don't have to save different projects to recall your mixes anymore. That is simply UNACCEPTABLE.

Mix Scenes do exactly what it says on the tin - it's saving and recalling Mixer snapshots, how do you deem that UNACCEPTABLE? Because it doesn't overwrite timeline automation data?!! what?!

If it did affect/overwrite the timeline automation data then you'd be on here posting saying that's UNACCEPTABLE, think about it. There's far more than just volume and pan that goes into automation lanes. Plus, mixer scenes are not saved as a relative change, they are absolute snapshots of the console state.

This means that you cannot apply relative changes to the automation as you could be traversing from all kinds of absolute mixer values. Would be a mess.

If you want relative track automation, with the freedom to set mix snapshots on top of that, then just establish a more top down approach to mixing where your automated channels feed into a bus which is mixer controlled. People being doing this for years, nothing new or clever about it - it's up to you whether you put automation on the master/group channels, or within them - whatever suits the automation.

Also, one very important aspect to v5 that goes hand-in-had with mix scenes is the ability to perform clip gain envelopes - these will always be relative to the mixer fader, and is a far better way of working with mix snapshots vs volume automatons - There's a reason both features are part of this update.

Win10 Desktop - I7-4790/IGU/SSD (Main audio machine) | Win10 Laptop - i7-950H/GTX1660Ti/SSD | 12 Core 2012 Xeon Mac Pro | 2008 Mac Pro | 2012 Macbook Pro | 2015 iMac | Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 + ADATs | PreSonus Sphere | Waves | Arturia V Collection | Komplete Suite | Mackie MCU | Yamaha MOXF8 | Roland FA06, System-1, TD-1KV | Korg Microkorg | Komplete S61 Mk2 | Maschine Mk2 | Nektar P6
by PreAl on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:43 am
So hang on..
With V5 does each mix scene have its own unique automation or not? Or do they share the same automation? Won't have V5 installed until at least the first patch is released just curious. Thx.

Studio One Pro 5, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom Pad, Atom SQ, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).

Intel i9 9900K, 32GB RAM,
EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.

608 postsPage 25 of 31
1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31