21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hey all. I need to pass MIDI CC data to the NI Kontakt instrument to set up automations rather than going through Control Link; because Control Link only works for one "sub-instrument" and Kontakt itself can assign the same CC to multiple.

However, when I right-click something in Kontakt and select "Midi Learn..." nothing happens. I'm guessing this is because S1 is intercepting MIDI CC messages for Control Link but not passing them through?

However I need Kontakt to actually see the MIDI CC messages. Is there a way I can tell S1 to stop intercepting them?

Thanks in advance.

Windows 10 64-bit, Studio One 4, Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB RAM
by alfredohuerta on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:42 am
I'm having a similar problem with the "Orchestral Tools" (OT) Sine Player running the Layers plugin. For whatever reason, S1 will NOT pass the MOD wheel CC01 controller to the Sine Player.

However, it "will" pass all other channels such as the 8 knob controllers CC21...

I already contacted the OT people and they don't know anything about it and pretty much wash their hands of the problem.

Interestingly, the MOD wheel CC01 controller "does" work with the Sine player if I run it outside of S1 but when I run it "inside" of S1 it just doesn't see the CC01 controller

Dell Latitude E6530, 16 GB Ram, Two 1-TB SSD
Windows 10/64
Novation LaunchKey 49 USB Keyboard
Studio One 6.5.2.97444 Win x64
by Tacman7 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 am
When you create a new keyboard you have the option to set some filters. If you didn't do that then I don't think S1 is blocking anything.

Kontakt setup:
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... in-KONTAKT

Your keyboard plays the notes?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by alfredohuerta on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:38 am
There are no filters set for my keyboard and the built-in Midi Monitor in Studio One shows that the MOD wheel transmits data successfully on channel 01.

Can anyone explain then, how the MOD wheel (CC01) works correctly with the Sine Player when it is run "outside" of Studio One to send that information to the "Layers" instruments which work within the Sine Player, but that the CC01 information is not transmitted to the Sine Player/Layers it these are run inside of Studio One?

Dell Latitude E6530, 16 GB Ram, Two 1-TB SSD
Windows 10/64
Novation LaunchKey 49 USB Keyboard
Studio One 6.5.2.97444 Win x64
by benbowen3 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:13 pm
alfredohuerta wroteThere are no filters set for my keyboard and the built-in Midi Monitor in Studio One shows that the MOD wheel transmits data successfully on channel 01.

Can anyone explain then, how the MOD wheel (CC01) works correctly with the Sine Player when it is run "outside" of Studio One to send that information to the "Layers" instruments which work within the Sine Player, but that the CC01 information is not transmitted to the Sine Player/Layers it these are run inside of Studio One?

Yes, same here. It's also not just Kontakt that doesn't seem to receive this data for me; I tried it with Arturia's Pigments' built-in MIDI mapping mode and Pigments also doesn't seem to receive any MIDI CC messages.

I like Control Link but is there really no way of "disabling" it or telling it at least to forward MIDI CC data to instruments? That seems crazy...

by Tacman7 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:10 pm
Read Niles reply, like 5th post maybe...

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=28573&p=162152&

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by benbowen3 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:19 pm
Hey Tacman7, thanks for the response.

I did already see that other thread before but it didn't seem to apply for me. I actually just recorded a video to demonstrate what I'm trying:

phpBB [video]

Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong? :)

by robertgray3 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:01 pm
benbowen3 wroteHey Tacman7, thanks for the response.

I did already see that other thread before but it didn't seem to apply for me. I actually just recorded a video to demonstrate what I'm trying:

phpBB [video]

Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong? :)

Is this just with Kontakt or with every instrument?

Out of curiosity, does it happen when you load Kontakt through Komplete Kontrol?

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Tacman7 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:09 pm
niles wroteCould it be you've learned/mapped the parameters from MIDI channel 1 to the External Device?
If that's the case MIDI CC data on channel 1 will be intercepted by Control Link (Automation) and won't reach the Instrument track as CC data.

My Impact keyboard came with a program that set up the devices in S1. It has two midi ports.
It sends and recieves all channels from the main port and that's called the keyboard device, then the other device only recieves and it's called control.

It moves the mod and pitch in Kontakt.

I had remembered Niles talking about control link catching the signal. Not sure if that's what's going on with your setup.

I think Niles was saying you map the controls to one channel and the notes to another channel.

I've not used control link that much so just wondering if you got something like that going on.

One other thing, I was reading about global and local in control link and I noticed yours is set to global.

Not sure if that would make a difference.

Forum Moderator.

by IanM5 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:50 pm
I had this problem with a mod wheel. I had mapped it in Control Link so the CC message was "stopping" there. My solution was to just delete the Mod Wheel in Control Link. I never thought of trying to use a different channel.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by benbowen3 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:39 am
robertgray3 wroteIs this just with Kontakt or with every instrument?

My ATOM also exhibits the same problem.

This problem also happens in Arturia Pigments (completely different instrument)- I can map midi in the standalone instrument but in Studio One nothing seems to get through (I have to rely on Control Link).

Tacman7 wroteOne other thing, I was reading about global and local in control link and I noticed yours is set to global.
Not sure if that would make a difference.

It is? I thought the yellow highlight meant it was in local mode?

by nicolaloseto1 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:29 pm
Hello,

I have the same issue with the Korg nanokontrol2.

Cc signals are going through Studio One 5, however no learning from Kontakt and I can’t use Spitfire libraries properly.

Actually I changed my rig, before was working on the old computer by setting the Korg in cc mode. Now even the Korg Software recognises the nanokontrol but works if Studio One. I can make macros but it’s not the same thing as I can’t open individual kontakt istances for each instrument.

Please I need help. It’s happening exactly the same as the video posted.

Thank you!

Nico
by mattwafaie on Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:51 am
Has anyone figured this out!? I have the exact same issue with NI Kontakt, Spitfire, East West QL Play, and many others. Studio One is simply refusing to pass the midi info to many if not most VST instruments and effects that I use. This is a deal-breaker, I'm gonna have to bail on Studio One if there is no way to resolve this.

I can literally open up NI Kontakt standalone, right click a parameter, select "learn midi CC" then wiggle a control knob and it works perfectly. If I open Kontakt in Studio One 5 > right click the same parameter > select "learn midi CC" and nothing happens at all. This wouldn't be an issue if Studio One's built-in native control assigning function was seeing these parameters being wiggled but it doesn't. I can tweak any parameter at all in Kontakt and Studio One will have no idea.

Presonus, please help!!!
by markhollomon on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:17 pm
I was having the same problem with my nanoKONTROL2. I fixed it by
1. Making sure the controller was in MIDI mode rather than DAW mode
2. Telling Studio One that it is a Generic Keyboard when setting up.
3. Using Korg's Kontrol Editor to make the buttons/sliders/knobs send the CC/Notes I want.

So, now I have SpitFire BBCSO doing what I want.
by darcyyrathbone on Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:56 pm
Hey guys, thought I would share because this was troubling me for a long time.
I fixed it by removing all midi devices from Studio One, setting up my Nakedboard MC-8 Controller as my "Default Instrument Input".
I set the faders up as a keyboard instead of a control surface.
Then added my keyboard after this was set up. and.....
Worked exactly how it should, Midi CC and all.

Should not be this difficult but it is what it is.
by isaacleath on Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:07 pm
I found a solution to this problem, and it can be solved by changing the settings within Kontakt.
I'm using the full retail version of Kontakt, so I'm not sure if these settings are available in the Kontakt player version.
Under the "automation" tab, choose the "host automation" tab.
Here you should see a bunch of host parameters that are all "not assigned"
Select any not assigned host parameter, ex "#004 not assigned"
And drag this over to any knob or fader in your kontakt instrument
Now the host parameter name will change to reflect your choice. Example " lush verb"
Now use your mouse and change the value of "lush verb" on your instrument, back and forth
This will cause studio one to "see" the software input
You should now see the "lush verb" register in studio one midi control link, as seen in the upper left corner of the picture.
Now that studio one recognizes the software input, you can assign any hardware fader, button, or knob, to that input.

I hope this helps, I spent a while perplexed as why studio one would not recognize my software inputs in kontakt player. And this 100% fixed all my troubles.
Kontakt Settings.png
by jasonholtman on Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:29 pm
I've had this problem for ages (neither Arturia Analog Lab V nor Falcon can get any messages through from my Monogram system running through Control Link). It will work if I run either in standalone, just not in DAW. Other instruments (for instance Kontakt and Spitfire standalone) work as intended with Monogram running through Control Link. Contacted Arturia and had them work on it for weeks. . .they gave up. So now I just live with it, figuring it's a deep problem in Studio One. So, similar problems to you all and I've tried all the deletes, remaps, etc. . . . one twist. . .

When I map the controls in Analog Lab V, the visual of the macro knobs in the plugin actually move perfectly with the knobs on Monogram; however, nothing changes about the underlying sound. So the midi is passing through enough to effect the graphics in Analog Lab, but not enough to modulate it. Weird.

Wish I could (1) fix this and (2) understand why the fix works. Threads above seem like some of the well intentioned voodoo and incantations we all try, but they're varied, and, so far, unsuccessful in my case. Presonus, help!
Seems like an old problem in S1. I´ve lost a lot of time trying to solve it and i couldn´t. Hard to believe that they haven´t fixed it... annoying
by aifuding on Mon May 02, 2022 1:58 pm
I had a similar problem and I think I found a solution. Although PreSonus has made a dedicated preset for NI's Komplete Kontrol, the MIDI CC signal will not be transmitted in this case, and I hope PreSonus can make an effort for this.

In fact, when I use the traditional method to get Studio One connected to the Komplete Kontrol, everything works fine. Instead of finding "Native Instruments/Komplete Kontrol S Series" in the menu, I create a keyboard directly via "New Keyboard". In this case, MIDI CC signals are transmitted normally.

I have written similar content in the Chinese forum with some pictures, you can also read it here: https://flying-daw.com/threads/1840/
by nickwheeler on Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:31 pm
So for me, I finally figured it out. My goodness it took ages.

My equipment is Panorama P1 and S88 Komplete Kontrol Keyboard.

I use Spitfire Symphonic Strings a lot in Kontakt. The P1 is set up to send the correct midi messages (it needs to be in "internal mode") to Kontakt, to change articulations (or whatever), and everything worked great when Kontakt was opened as standalone software (ie, not opened in Studio One).

However, like many others, the P1 midi commands (and I assume this may be similar for other midi controllers) were simply not getting through to Kontakt in Studio one.

I don't know if the S88 midi commands sent to Kontakt as I never tried it.

However, I fixed it as follows:

P1

For the P1, I needed to add, as external devices within Studio One, TWO devices. Note, TWO devices. The default for some midi controllers is for only one device to be added to Studio One.

The devices are:

1) "New Keyboard". I selected "Panorama P1" as the receive from and send to ports. Note, this is just a generic "new keyboard" option that I selected.

2) "Nektar Panorama". I think this device was added automatically if you run the Nektar Studio One software update (available in your Nektar account page).

However, you can add it yourself in the menu. I select "MIDIIN2 (PANORAMA P1)" as both the receive from and send to options.

S88

Two devices to be added:

1) Komplete Kontrol S. Receive From and Send to are both "KOMPLETE KONTROL-1"

2) Komplete Kontrol DAW. Receive from and send to are both "Komplete Kontrol DAW-1".

NB:

I did not select anything as being a "default instrument input", as was suggested above. This seemed to cause problems. In my case, if I selected the P1 as the "default instrument input" (or the other way round), one device would work fine, but the other would not.

I hope this helps some people.

But now, everything works fine and midi signals are being sent to Kontakt within Studio One perfectly.

Lemme know if it works for anyone!

Cheers,

Nick

21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2