4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm new to beatmaking, and hitting a wall with my own ideas, so have decided to try looking for MIDI drum tracks to play around with to help me figure out some basics / stay inspired.

I've tried testing out a few free MIDI groove files before committing to paying for a bundle like the ones available at Groove Monkee, which are Studio 4-friendly: https://groovemonkee.com/blogs/blog/midi-drum-loops-and-studio-one-4

However, the problem I've found is that the other freebie kits I found are mapped differently or have no guide as to what keys are designated to which drum instrument (so I'm guessing at which notes are the kick, snare, hihat, etc).

Are there idiotproof MIDI grooves out there that can be easily mapped against Impact XT kits? Or - if I need to get a mapping VST - is there a way where I can effortlessly select different Impact kits without having to remap the groove every single time? Are Impact kits fairly uniform in how they'e been mapped (ie. is each kickdrum, snare etc. mapped in the same way across most/all kits)?

-HP Pavilion Notebook / 8.00 GB / Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5157U CPU @ 2.50GHz
-Windows 10 (ver. 1903 / OS 18362.836)

-Studio One 4.5.4.54067
-Studio 26 interface (2 channel).
by Jemusic on Sat May 30, 2020 4:54 pm
Its a tricky one but there are ways to get around it. Firstly I downloaded the free Groove Monkey files that were not for Studio One specifically. The Studio One files would be great and ready to go but the others are not as you say. They are with the GM standard. I was hoping that the sound names might show up in the drum editor but they don't.

I have attached an image and a pdf file that shows you what the sounds are meant to be though which will start you in the right direction.

The built in Midi effects in Studio One include a Chorder effect. This converts a single note into a chord but it can also be used to map a single note to another single note. With some work you could make a map that converts all the GM notes into Impact Pad notes. As long as the Impact Pads have the same sounds on them all the time which maybe they don't but at least this is a way of getting GM sounds into Impact XT format.

You could make a single map for example then you might have to re arrange the Impact XT sounds on the various pads to suit the map you have made.

Attachments
GM Drum notes.pdf
(38.4 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
General Midi drum sounds.png

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8 and 2018- Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V4.6.1 (Mac), Notion 6.5, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Tacman7 on Sat May 30, 2020 5:35 pm
Like to know how this remapper vst works:

https://www.codefn42.com/notemapper/

Looks interesting.

Have to give it a try.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio Computer
Studio OnePro 4 64bit Melodyne Studio
Win10 i7 7700k 16gb ram 1TB SSD AsusH270M-PLUS interface:StudioKonnekt 48
Nectar Impact LX25+

Kitchen Computer
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Radeon RX 590 - 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 512GB SSD interface:Komplete Audio 6
by Jemusic on Sat May 30, 2020 7:18 pm
Note Mapper looks good. Its Windows only and free and its just a DLL file which you install with others and scan etc and it shows up under Instruments. You pop it onto an Instrument track before the Instrument itself. It comes with a fairly detailed manual as well. Does a lot more than the built in Chorder midi effect. Although Chorder will also do the same basic note mapping functions.

Note mapper can do some advanced things.

Key features:

Remap MIDI notes.
Map MIDI notes to Continuous Controller (CC), Channel Aftertouch or Poly Aftertouch messages.
Each note can be mapped to up to three notes/messages.
Can remap notes between all 16 MIDI channels.
Filter out unwanted notes.
Automatic melodic scale assignment.
Adjust the incoming velocity by a specified percent.
Randomize the velocity scaling.
Set a note probability.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8 and 2018- Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V4.6.1 (Mac), Notion 6.5, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro

4 posts
Page 1 of 1