5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm trying to use the Project view to export a Song, and it has some event-level automation of the mod wheel. What I'm finding is that while the song playback is what I'd expect, when it's rendered down for the Project view, the modulation value has changed.

At first, I noticed one clip had the mod wheel at 100% when it should have been at 0%. So, I went into the song, and recorded a movement of the wheel at the start of the clip to force it to zero. Then I went back to Project view to create and import the new mastering file.

What I found was that the clip had the correct zero modulation level for the first few beats, and then it went back up to full!

It looks like a workaround is to transform the track to audio in the song view, and then re-import it in project view.

Has anyone else seen a similar bug?

[Windows 10 64bit | Studio One 4.6.2 | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | ESP Ltd EC 1000 | Line 6 Helix | Novation 61SL Mk III]
by Jemusic on Sat May 30, 2020 12:20 am
Its not a workaround but in fact they way you should do it. All songs need to be fully rendered in song view before going over into Project view. Think Project view as a mastering session. You would not send a mix for example to a mastering engineer that had automation in it. You would never be 100% sure that the mastering engineer would be reading it perfectly.

The cool thing is if you don't like something you hear in project view, it is easy to go back to the song in its full session, make the changes and re render. The new mix can be sent over to Project view very easily.

People have asked for it and I look forward to the time when the Project view will get automation capabilities. But it should only effect the entire mix though such as volume, and any effects that are inserted for each song. Not necessarily a parameter for something within a song though. That should remain in song view and then be rendered out before coming over to Project view.

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8 and 2018- Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V4.6.1 (Mac), Notion 6.5, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Sat May 30, 2020 5:23 am
What Jemusic said. Render all tracks first. Youll also find you have greater control over the mixdown. Particulalry with volumes swells, drops, ramps, etc, that the instrument track can rarely give.

Still, as needs vary, if you're just placing the song as is to the Project page while you work out the details, I've found S1 to be completely accurate in rendering the mix, and my mixes can be fairly complex. Rarely in most any occasion, does anything awry just happen. Something is forcing that modulation to change/return somehow. Since you want that out of the song entirely, just remove the modulation parameter entirely. My guess is its either creeping in from another event, or you have a hidden or duplicate instance of that same instrument, or patch somewhere.

Look in your "Tracks" view for hidden track instances. Also look in your mixer view where on the left, you can open the instruments view. Either should reveal something. Another gotcha could be a seperate event even on the same track could be enabling the mode wheel to jump back in. Since this is occuring only during promoting the mix to Projects (or potentially a Mixdown), your best bet is start your rendering tracks to audio phase. It's the best way to weed out the snags, and both better the mix.

S1 Pro 4.6.x, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8 core, Win 7 64x. Audio Interface: Audiobox 22 VSL, Audiophile 192 Controllers: Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Novation SL25 MKII, Faderport 8, Roland JV-90, Roland GR-50, Roland Octapad, Akai MPD-18. MIDI Patchbay: MOTU 8x8, Monitoring: Mackie HR824, Yamaha HS-7, Mixer: Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, Other hardware/Plugins and Libraries, contact me.

My latest release from: Studio One

My last prior release from: Studio One

Latest Album: Amber & Blue

My music

On YouTube
by Jemusic on Sat May 30, 2020 5:01 pm
Project View is just not designed to respond to any form of automation so its best to not have there in the first place. Render all automation in Song View before pulling it into Project View. If it is responding then its not meant to and the results may be totally unpredictable.

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8 and 2018- Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V4.6.1 (Mac), Notion 6.5, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by bensizer on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:18 pm
Hi all, sorry to not reply to this sooner.

I can't say I agree that everything 'should' be entirely rendered out first. I mean, the Project is specifically designed to import Song files, and then to render them for you. It literally says in the documentation on the Mastering > Adding Tracks page, "There is no need to create a mixdown of the Song first, as this process is automated." And when we do that, we can see that it is loading up the original song file and rendering it pretty much the same way that the song would render itself.

So why would it end up with different results? I guess it's just a bug.

Having said that, I'm also finding that the renders in Project view are creating pops and glitches that just don't exist in Song view, whether in normal playback or when doing a mixdown from Song view. Quite disappointing.

The modulation works perfectly in the song. There's nothing wrong with it. It's just that rendering, when called from Project view, gets it wrong somehow.

[Windows 10 64bit | Studio One 4.6.2 | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | ESP Ltd EC 1000 | Line 6 Helix | Novation 61SL Mk III]

5 posts
Page 1 of 1