13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey everyone,

Spitfire audio recently released a free version (or $49, if you don't want to fill in a survey) of their BBC Symphony Orchestra virtual instrument, called "Discover": https://www.spitfireaudio.com/bbcso/discover/

It's basically a full orchestra, with limited features, limited articulations and only one mixed mic perspective. Pretty cool though, if you're new to orchestral music :)

I created a template to test it out, and figured some other people might find it useful too. So here are 3 variations on the Discover template:

- Simple: just the instruments in score order, with an articulation per track approach.
- Folder Structure: same as simple, but organized and bussed into the corresponding orchestral sections.
- Keyswitch: all articulations on one track that can be changed via keyswitches.

I also added the Soft Piano from Spitfire Labs to these templates, which is a felted piano with a mellow sound: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs/

Just drag the files into the \Studio One\templates\v4 folder, let me know if it works, and go wild!

-F

Attachments
BBC SO Discover - Templates.rar
Make sure you have Studio One Professional (or the VST add-on for Artist), BBCSO Discover and Spitfire Labs Soft Piano.
(125.41 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
by frank.crow on Sat May 23, 2020 6:13 pm
Right on

Thanks 😊

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by IanM5 on Sun May 24, 2020 2:19 am
Excellent. Thank you.

I received my copy of Discover a couple of days ago so making a template for it is on my TODO list.

If you can be bothered and can work out how to do it the templates would be a useful addition to the Presonus Exchange.
https://exchange.presonus.com/home

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by fransaartsen on Sun May 24, 2020 7:19 am
IanM5 wrote templates would be a useful addition to the Presonus Exchange.

I fully agree!
by bsrega on Thu May 28, 2020 10:15 am
How did you get the BBC Orchestra to be recognized in studio one?

I've tried it multiple times, had studio one scan the entire drive (Studio One & the BBC are on the same drive c:/ )

Thank you for a guide on how to do that!
by IanM5 on Thu May 28, 2020 12:54 pm
bsrega wroteHow did you get the BBC Orchestra to be recognized in studio one?

I've tried it multiple times, had studio one scan the entire drive (Studio One & the BBC are on the same drive c:/ )

Thank you for a guide on how to do that!

Have you downloaded and installed the VST player from Spitfire?

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by Mucusman on Thu May 28, 2020 5:45 pm
Be aware that having a copy of BBCSO Discover (whether you paid the $49, or received it for free via filling out the survey) discounts either the Core or Pro version by $49, should you wish you later upgrade. Nice!

Windows 10 Home (64 bit), 24 GB RAM, Dell XPS 8920 (i7), Studio One 3 Professional, PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL, Nektar Impact LX 49, Behringer X-Touch One
by Jemusic on Thu May 28, 2020 6:26 pm
BBC Orchestra Discover requires you to download two things. The sounds plus another special plugin that allows you to open the orchestra. I have got LABS for example and this is separate to LABS. I have installed it and it all works fine. Its a pretty scaled down orchestra though compared to their full products. Still nice for free.

So under Spitfire Audio in the Instruments section you should see a plugin called BBC Orchestra. You drag that onto your Instrument track.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by frank.crow on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:52 am
fransaartsen wroteHey everyone,

Spitfire audio recently released a free version (or $49, if you don't want to fill in a survey) of their BBC Symphony Orchestra virtual instrument, called "Discover": https://www.spitfireaudio.com/bbcso/discover/

It's basically a full orchestra, with limited features, limited articulations and only one mixed mic perspective. Pretty cool though, if you're new to orchestral music :)

I created a template to test it out, and figured some other people might find it useful too. So here are 3 variations on the Discover template:

- Simple: just the instruments in score order, with an articulation per track approach.
- Folder Structure: same as simple, but organized and bussed into the corresponding orchestral sections.
- Keyswitch: all articulations on one track that can be changed via keyswitches.

I also added the Soft Piano from Spitfire Labs to these templates, which is a felted piano with a mellow sound: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs/

Just drag the files into the \Studio One\templates\v4 folder, let me know if it works, and go wild!

-F

This is super cool. Thanks so very much. Please forgive the bother but is this just straight routing or did you add any enhancements?

I ask because while I was trying to personalize it I accidentally clicked something and the splitter tool popped up and it seemed to have separate items instaniated on the left & right.

I don’t know what I clicked but can’t seem to find anymore.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by katebattersby on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:10 pm
bsrega wroteHow did you get the BBC Orchestra to be recognized in studio one?

Very cool free offerings from Spitfire Audio. Excited to try them all out, but ...

... same problem here with BBC SO! I have both pieces of BBC Spitfire installed on the external drive that houses my other libraries. Installation on both is confirmed via the Spitfire Audio app.

S1 is picking up LABS and all other providers' plugins just fine, but BBC SO might as well be a ghost who left its sheet at home. All file folders seem present and correct on the external drive, with an additional one called NKS containing NKSF files, which I assume to be irrelevant for my non-Komplete purposes.

I'd be grateful for guidance from anyone who actually solved this problem. Many thanks and happy DAW days to all.

KJ
by Chistabo on Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:55 am
olo

thx for sharing

could you write short explanation about 'keyswitches' template use ?

edit: can not find an easy way to open those templates. some instructions would be nice
edit 2: ok, drag-and-drop works just fine, but ... all instruments (on all tracks) are 'Strings: Violins 1'; so i would have to re-arrange each and every track to appropriate instrument manually ? is this how this should be ?
edit 3: this link will answer my 'keyswitches' question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnHzQYXhVDw

edit 4: i had initial troubles running bbc so discovery in studio one (pro). after a sincere prayer, and many a re-starts (yes, stubbornness does pay off, a lot of times), i solved s1 freezing. here is link to my solution:
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=46614&hilit=spitfire+bbc+discover

have fun

aum
s love nia
by gavinsteiner on Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:33 pm
Thank you for this!

Do you have a MIDI file you'd be willing to share? I'm new to using Orchestral instruments and the way the Expression and Modulation are used for dynamics. I'd love to analyze someone's file to see how they've done it.

Not expecting a masterpiece :D

Thanks for sharing!
by herbievantetering on Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:33 am
Enclosed an installer (version 1.2) for BBC SO (Core Edition) for Notion. Notion 6 should be installed into its default directory. Some dynamics for BBCSO are unavoidable, a dynamic template is introduced for Abbey Road.

BBC SO Core/Professional only

If users are interested in this installer, I can optimise the instruments scripts further; the innosetup installer is scanned for viruses, but might show false positives. An additional .zip file is included for convenience.

more installers are underway for:

* Abbey Road One Orchestra
* Abbey Road Two Iconic Strings
* Spitfire Originals Orchestra
* Spitfire Originals Grand Piano

They have logical names for the instruments, so for example, Solo Violin or High Strings etc.

Example of music:

https://on.soundcloud.com/5cxHy
https://on.soundcloud.com/RLCNS

Attachments
BBCSO.zip
(439.77 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
SpitfireBBCSOsetup.zip
(996.27 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
ViaggioCelesteIII.pdf
(429.83 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

13 posts
Page 1 of 1