104 postsPage 1 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
I was just working on a project that was crashing around 6 times within 20 minutes.
When I was working on a Channel with the studio one Gate and Pro EQ all of a sudden I got a horribly loud white(?) noise on my speakers, which didnt stop until a couple of seconds afterI muting this channel.
Master maxed out on level 999999...! Can somebody explain to me what the hell this was and how to avoid it happening ever again? I don't like loosing my ears...

Here is a screenshot after muting where it still displayed the peak:

Untitled-1.jpg

13.2 Ventura
Studio One 6.1.1
16" macbook pro (2021)
M1 Pro
16 GB Ram
Interface: Metric Halo ULN-8 3D, 2882
by Jemusic on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:40 am
Some system specs might help. Also what audio interface are you using? Unexpected very loud sounds can be very alarming when they happen for sure. Your speakers would have probably gone into protection mode.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by torstenlang on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:03 am
thanks for your answer!
I'm on:
Studio One 4.6.1
macbook pro i7 from 2013, Mojave.
Interface: Metric Halo ULN-8

I was mixing over Yamaha NS10, so I guess there is no protection mode, also no protection in my amp as far as I know, but they don't seem like having suffered from it fortunately.

13.2 Ventura
Studio One 6.1.1
16" macbook pro (2021)
M1 Pro
16 GB Ram
by Bbd on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:23 am
Put a limiter on your main outs until you find the issue.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Tacman7 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 am
S1 can be going along ok but a song with a lot going on then I loose connection or something with my interface and I get super speeded up playback at full volume. I slap the power button on my interface fast as I can.

Restart and connect my interface and start again. Happens only once in a while.

Gremlins

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by fmaestas on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:22 am
This was happening to me a few weeks ago. Almost blew my ears off with super loud white noise.
My issue was a plug-in (Outputs: Movement). I removed it and the problem went away. That plugin works fine in my other DAW though.

S1 Pro 6.5, Logic, Reaper, macOS BigSur
My Bandcamp
by torstenlang on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:38 am
hm ok interesting. Except for the studio one pro eq which I basically never use otherwise i only used plugins that I often use. Removing the Pro EQ didnt stop the project from crashing very often.
Anyway the noise just happened once so far. But the crashing seems to have stopped after I tried "Save to new Folder"!

13.2 Ventura
Studio One 6.1.1
16" macbook pro (2021)
M1 Pro
16 GB Ram
by ianaeillo on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:51 am
fmaestas wroteThis was happening to me a few weeks ago. Almost blew my ears off with super loud white noise.
My issue was a plug-in (Outputs: Movement). I removed it and the problem went away. That plugin works fine in my other DAW though.

Movement does this on certain songs for me and I couldn’t figure out the problem. It didn’t seem to matter the instrument or other plugins and there was never a pattern. It was session based for me - no matter what I did I couldn’t get it to stop in certain sessions. Other songs, it never happened. It was odd. I liked the idea behind the plugin but this made it unusable for me. Glad to know someone else has experienced this too even if it’s just a one time thing.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by Morticia on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:51 am
Cerberus Ice9 automute
Download this free auto-mute plug-in and place it at the very end of your signal chain on the master bus, post fader.
It will save your ears and your monitors as it mutes the signal instantly if it crosses the threshold that you have set.

It's a far more effective solution that relying on a limiter to do it -

https://freevstplugins.net/cerberus-aud ... -automute/

;)

AMD Phenom quad core | 8 GB RAM | Roland UA-25 EX audio interface | Radeon HD 2400 Pro | Win 8.1 x64 | Studio One Pro v3.5.6 x64

"The queen of spades is a friend of mine, the queen of hearts is a bitch
someday when I clean up my mind, I'll find out which is which"
Gram Parsons
by torstenlang on Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:31 am
thank you, that would be really handy, unfortunately I can't make it work in studio one. Both AU and VST won't show up in the plugin tab or manager! Damn!
Today it happened to me again in the same project (that I have saved to the new folder, where it seemed to have fixed the issue at first), luckily the limiter made it a bit less of a heartattack. Still... mommy I'm scared!

13.2 Ventura
Studio One 6.1.1
16" macbook pro (2021)
M1 Pro
16 GB Ram
by Bbd on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:44 am
Please open a support ticket for your issue.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Morticia on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:40 pm
torstenlang wrote... unfortunately I can't make it work in studio one. Both AU and VST won't show up in the plugin tab or manager! Damn!

That's a shame. Unfortunately the plug-in is now abandon-ware as the dev seems to disappeared, so there will be no updated versions.
I don't know of any similar ones. A limiter on your master bus is your only defence now.

Perhaps auto-mute is a feature that the Presonus dev team could incorporate into Studio One ...

AMD Phenom quad core | 8 GB RAM | Roland UA-25 EX audio interface | Radeon HD 2400 Pro | Win 8.1 x64 | Studio One Pro v3.5.6 x64

Gram Parsons
by Lokeyfly on Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:17 am
torstenlang wroteI ......When I was working on a Channel with the studio one Gate and Pro EQ all of a sudden I got a horribly loud white(?) noise on my speakers, which didnt stop until a couple of seconds afterI muting this channel.

Not sure if it was noted, but you had a gate on. Obviously to remove some background noise. When set too high, this can open at severely loud levels, and is it perhaps that noise entering?

In any event, even if that is not the problem, in trying to solve for where the noise is coming from (not the gate, but the source of noise like a plugin, bad connection, etc) I would definately remove that gate right away.

Then, mute all channels and note any peaked levels at the inputs as well. The peak at the master is the tail end, so address the inputs, and mixer channels. Isolate the possibility by going through each channel, one at a time when possible.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by torstenlang on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:26 am
I think the gate was not the problem (also because the second time it happened there was no gate involved in the then soloed track). The gate was reducing only like 10db on a snare track. This can probably not explain +9999(...)db output in the master.

As it only happened two times I missed the chance of making a screenshot of the single channels, but it it happens again I will try to do so

13.2 Ventura
Studio One 6.1.1
16" macbook pro (2021)
M1 Pro
16 GB Ram
by Lokeyfly on Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:43 pm
Ok, thanks for noting. I kinda thought that, but you probably can imagine some for lack of a better description "newbies* may have ran the threshold all the way up, on the noise gate (or poorly set auto-detect) and you can guess the rest.

I probably should mention, I've never experienced any loud rogue noise with Studio One or any other DAW. Though in the early days of Cubase Audio's infancy with SCSI drives, with reflections and all, bad stuff was occasionally possible. Your issue may be some bad 3rd party plugins or something. So far, there isn't enough information to go on.

OK, only a few times this happened, to you and incredibly loud. Bummer. I'd only add to check gains, run meters everywhere to see if somewhere you also get a True Peak reading that shows that loud value. Some meters are better at displaying TP.

Go over all of your connections, etc. As mentioned.
These things have a way of getting rung out.

Lastly, like Bbd mentioned, get a limiter on your Master effects channel, and make it the last effect in the link. Along with any other playback channels (headphone mix, sub monitoring, etc).
Ah, just read using 'Cerberus Ice9 automute", noted by Morticia. Definately install that.

A mishap could damage your equipment, and more importantly your hearing, so just be real careful my friend. Don't pit your hearing in jeopardy.

Good luck.

JT

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by robertgray3 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:06 am
I had this happen, couldn't figure out why, neither could Support /shrug

It seemed to be bouncing a particular MIDI event from Mai Tai at a particular spot that would reliably cause it on my machine but they couldn't duplicate it on theirs so I just re-bounced the sample and moved on.

Also Ice9 is abandonware Lokeyfly, I don't even think it works with Green Z monitoring, so pretty useless in Studio One

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by torstenlang on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:13 am
So after it happened again today in the same project I think it can't be a specific plugin. It appeared once again in another channel that didnt exist before and with other plugins than where it happened before. So this time I could figure it out on a channel with a third party plugin but held back a bit with a compressor afterwards, but also on an fx channel with room reverb in it raging in the red that was not fed by this other noising channel. So yea it looks quite random to me..
This time the master was "only" at +15. But I will put a TP meter in the postmaster.

I was also asking myself if the fact that the uln8 3D interface is still running as a beta could cause it. But then, why didnt it happen in all those many other songs that I was working in also after it happened in this song.. But I will try to work for a while with the internal soundcard and see if it happens there. But on the other hand other people have experienced it aswell.
@Robertgray, what interface are you using? Also metric halo by any chance? And: in my project there are no midi regions or Mai Tai.. and for me it doesnt seem to be reproducable

13.2 Ventura
Studio One 6.1.1
16" macbook pro (2021)
M1 Pro
16 GB Ram
by robertgray3 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:35 am
torstenlang wrote@Robertgray, what interface are you using? Also metric halo by any chance? And: in my project there are no midi regions or Mai Tai.. and for me it doesnt seem to be reproducable

My post wasnt super clear-

An audio event is causing this most likely. When I said "bouncing a MIDI region wth Mai Tai" I meant that I bounced a VSTi and afterwards that audio clip caused it any time I played it.

Interface, room reverb, all that other stuff is probably a red herring, in my song it was one specific audio event where every time the playhead went through it it would do this

Anyway, definitely contact Support- some issues are so rare that unless they're delivered to Support they don't even have a chance of getting fixed.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Morticia on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:12 pm
robertgray3 wrote...
Also Ice9 is abandonware Lokeyfly,

Yes, it is. However this is only an issue for Studio One users on Apple Mac

robertgray3 wroteI don't even think it works with Green Z monitoring,

I'm afraid that you think incorrectly. It works very well with Studio One Green Z monitoring.
See the two screenshots below -

ice_9_a.jpg
Audio signal peak < 0 dB post-fader at master bus. 'Geen Z monitoring on VSTI and at master bus. Audio passes through to audio interface.

ice_9_b.jpg
Audio signal peak > 0.2 dB post-fader at master bus. 'Geen Z monitoring on VSTI and at master bus. Audio is immediately silenced with a quiet click. ICE 9 vst shows 'blown fuse' graphic

Green Z monitoring is irrelevant here. This plug is used at the end of the * audio * signal chain. It would be absolutely useless if it was placed anywhere in front the master bus fader and any other post-fade master bus effects.

robertgray3 wroteso pretty useless in Studio One

FIFY
"So pretty useless in Studio One running on Mac OS"

It works beautifully on Windows platform ...

Gram Parsons
by robertgray3 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:44 pm
Wonderful, works for you. Doesn't work on Mac and doesn't work with Low Latency Monitoring on Mac.

You're on Windows. If someone's on Windows and likes using abandonware, go for it!

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2

104 postsPage 1 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6