104 postsPage 3 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
russwilson1 wrote
Morticia wrote
bartbalint wroteGood idea. I looked at downloading this through the link above, but Win10 defender said I will go ‘viral’ if I run it. Anyone download it today without issue?

I have scanned after downloading it from the link with both Avira and Malwarebytes and in both cases it came up as clean. Most likely a false-positive from Windows Defender.

I installed Cerberus Audio Automute.And that works great .But it's not a solution to the problem.

I agree completely. It's a work-around.
The issue is that this problem has been there since Studio One V2 and present again in V3. It has been discussed on this forum in a few different threads over the years.
AFAIK Presonus have not yet acknowledged it as a fairly common problem ...

Arghh... that would not be cool, at all. I should add, however, that my support contact did mention he has experienced this same "burst" working in Cubase. Doesn't sway my opinion about how unacceptable this is, but I did want to add that to the conversation. I never experienced anything of this sort in a good decade+ working in Cakewalk/Sonar. Nor have I in the past 3 years of working in S1 on this exact same Mac system. If anyone else has dealt with this in another DAW, please chime in.

I haven't but we're generally swayed to thinking that issues that occur in the DAW we use the most "don't happen" in other DAWs because we don't use them.

I do use Ableton and REAPER frequently and I'm pretty sure this is a problem exclusive to Studio One 4.6+. That was when I first noticed it. This specific problem has not "been there since V2" as someone else mentioned. There are some issues with pops on Exports with some 3rd party plugins and stuff like that but nothing that would read as 1000+ db in a mixer.

If you're paranoid and just don't want it to happen, you can run one of the 4.5 variants easily and hope someone else figures out what causes it or that it gets fixed by fixing a related issue (sometimes bugs appear on accident, sometimes they disappear on accident).

Anyway, it's a relatively rare problem and it's a new problem so as soon as people can figure out how to get it to happen on someone else's system reliably it will probably get fixed very quickly.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Morticia on Thu May 21, 2020 5:30 am
robertgray3 wrote..
I do use Ableton and REAPER frequently and I'm pretty sure this is a problem exclusive to Studio One 4.6+. That was when I first noticed it. This specific problem has not "been there since V2" as someone else mentioned. There are some issues with pops on Exports with some 3rd party plugins and stuff like that but nothing that would read as 1000+ db in a mixer.

Not true. Just because it didn't happen to you in V2 doesn't mean the issue wasn't there.
It's happened to me twice: once in V2 and then again in V3.
After the second occurrence is when I installed Cerberus Ice9.

This thread is from 2016. Not sure which version it applies to, as the OP's signature states V 2.65 -
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=19489&p=106568

This one is from 2015 and relates to a 'noise burst' in Version 3 -
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=9652&p=51813

There was at least one similar thread on the old forum. So no, it is not confined to V 4.6 +

I have never had anything like it happen with Samplitude or Sonar.

AMD Phenom quad core | 8 GB RAM | Roland UA-25 EX audio interface | Radeon HD 2400 Pro | Win 8.1 x64 | Studio One Pro v3.5.6 x64

"The queen of spades is a friend of mine, the queen of hearts is a bitch
someday when I clean up my mind, I'll find out which is which"
Gram Parsons
by malleteer on Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 am
russwilson1 wrote
Morticia wrote
bartbalint wroteGood idea. I looked at downloading this through the link above, but Win10 defender said I will go ‘viral’ if I run it. Anyone download it today without issue?

I have scanned after downloading it from the link with both Avira and Malwarebytes and in both cases it came up as clean. Most likely a false-positive from Windows Defender.

I installed Cerberus Audio Automute.And that works great .But it's not a solution to the problem.

I agree completely. It's a work-around.
The issue is that this problem has been there since Studio One V2 and present again in V3. It has been discussed on this forum in a few different threads over the years.
AFAIK Presonus have not yet acknowledged it as a fairly common problem ...

Arghh... that would not be cool, at all. I should add, however, that my support contact did mention he has experienced this same "burst" working in Cubase. Doesn't sway my opinion about how unacceptable this is, but I did want to add that to the conversation. I never experienced anything of this sort in a good decade+ working in Cakewalk/Sonar. Nor have I in the past 3 years of working in S1 on this exact same Mac system. If anyone else has dealt with this in another DAW, please chime in.

I am on windows 10 !
by kenstrahl on Thu May 21, 2020 10:31 am
I've come across something that is consistantly reproducable and might help the devs pinpoint the problem.

I've never completely committed to 4.6, so most of my tunes are still in 4.5 with just a couple in 4.6.1.

If I work in 4.5 for awhile, exit the program then load 4.6.1 and choose any 4.6 tune I get the monster noise. Every time.

Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 250 GB Samsung 860 EVO, 6 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Keystaton 61 Studio1 4, DP9, Mixcraft 8; EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
by russwilson1 on Thu May 21, 2020 1:55 pm
kenstrahl wroteI've come across something that is consistantly reproducable and might help the devs pinpoint the problem.

I've never completely committed to 4.6, so most of my tunes are still in 4.5 with just a couple in 4.6.1.

If I work in 4.5 for awhile, exit the program then load 4.6.1 and choose any 4.6 tune I get the monster noise. Every time.

Very interesting, thanks for jumping in with that info. I had no such instance in the past on S1, so that detail is absolutely worth considering. I have read some of the older posts on variations of this topic, too. Just chasing the ghost in the machine right now.
by malleteer on Fri May 22, 2020 1:15 am
Cerberus Audio Automute just saved my ears. I was mixing on my headphones and there it was again. Automute instantly muted my audio, so my ears are still alive !!
by robertgray3 on Sat May 23, 2020 12:05 am
kenstrahl wroteI've come across something that is consistantly reproducable and might help the devs pinpoint the problem.

Maybe try forwarding this to Support with a video and they can send it off for testing- only mentioning that since they don't typically read this forum searching for issues.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by diedrichweiss on Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:40 pm
This INSANELY LOUD noise happened to me on multiple sessions. Only those who have experienced it truly know how disturbing...because of course it happens when we're either listening intensely to our mix, or tracking, and therefore listening intensely, or worse for those working with a client. Hard to still get across that S1 is as good as ProTools to the artist. Anyway...

What I learned is this...

Like the others above, it's not an insert, not a specific audio file, nor is it outside the S1 session with an interface or computer.

For me it happens only on sessions where I've "transformed to audio" and then back to "transform to instrument". Once this sound happens, there's nothing I could change to make the session workable.

So, I have to build a new session with bounced midi and audio files.

We are artists.
by robertgray3 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:46 pm
diedrichweiss wroteThis INSANELY LOUD noise happened to me on multiple sessions. Only those who have experienced it truly know how disturbing...because of course it happens when we're either listening intensely to our mix, or tracking, and therefore listening intensely, or worse for those working with a client. Hard to still get across that S1 is as good as ProTools to the artist. Anyway...

What I learned is this...

Like the others above, it's not an insert, not a specific audio file, nor is it outside the S1 session with an interface or computer.

For me it happens only on sessions where I've "transformed to audio" and then back to "transform to instrument". Once this sound happens, there's nothing I could change to make the session workable.

So, I have to build a new session with bounced midi and audio files.

Sounds similar to how mine resulted from Bouncing an Instrument (which is technically similar to a post-insert transform)

Did this happen in 4.6.2?

If so, was the song created in 4.6.2, and was problematic Transform performed in 4.6.2?

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Dina on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 am
Hi there! Any one have any new updates on the issue?

This happened to me yesterday on my mac. There was a lightening storm so I had no hardware connected and was using headphones directly plugged into the system. Session was just a vocal track & a few harmony tracks.

The session kept crashing (for reasons unbeknownst to me yet) and then twice the awful noise happened while simply listening back to a vocal. It was so horrid that words can't describe. I ripped the headphones out. I hope it didn't cause damage, but have ear pain today.

Needless to say very scared to open a session up and play anything. Filed a ticket with support and will try the limiter plugin mentioned above. Hope it works.
by robertgray3 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:34 am
Dina wroteHi there! Any one have any new updates on the issue?

This happened to me yesterday on my mac. There was a lightening storm so I had no hardware connected and was using headphones directly plugged into the system. Session was just a vocal track & a few harmony tracks.

The session kept crashing (for reasons unbeknownst to me yet) and then twice the awful noise happened while simply listening back to a vocal. It was so horrid that words can't describe. I ripped the headphones out. I hope it didn't cause damage, but have ear pain today.

Needless to say very scared to open a session up and play anything. Filed a ticket with support and will try the limiter plugin mentioned above. Hope it works.

What exact point version of Studio one are you currently running?

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by malleteer on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:15 pm
I Updated to Studio one 5.01 and bought a new audio device , Studio 18/10 C. It looked that it was gone .But today it suddenly came back.Lucky for me i was not using my headphones. Otherwise i was probably deaf. I made a ticket at Presonus . Hopefully they have a solution.
by robertgray3 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:44 pm
malleteer wroteI Updated to Studio one 5.01 and bought a new audio device , Studio 18/10 C. It looked that it was gone .But today it suddenly came back.Lucky for me i was not using my headphones. Otherwise i was probably deaf. I made a ticket at Presonus . Hopefully they have a solution.

What exactly happened or what were you doing before this noise? Was it exactly the same as before?

It makes a difference because there are some situations where you can create a very loud noise that actually aren't related to the original bug in this thread. Some plugins by Slate, Ohm Force, and others can cause a similar issue, too. The difference with the OP's issue and the issue I used to experience here was that the issue could show up without any 3rd party plugins.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by geoffreyraines on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:42 am
This deafening loud noise bug is one of the most serious defects you could have in a DAW. Unfortunately, it happened to me twice last night, for the first time.
What happens: an amazingly loud white noise, across a wide range of frequencies pops out of nowhere deafening you until you can shut it off. To be clear, this is not a loud hit or track or a mixing issue. It is full on maxed out roaring. (A big contrast to the acoustic country song I was working on.) I saw the meter coming down after I stopped it and the meter showed +8000 as it fell. (normally peaking at -3)
What I was doing: tracking an acoustic. The song was an hour old and fairly quiet, low volume. Very simple so far. Steven Slate Drums 5 on two tracks. Kontact Bass. East West piano. East West Violin. CPU was barely moving. Peaking at -8db. 10 tracks max. Nothing more than an EQ for effects and one S1 reverb. All items I have used many times and have been very stable. No crashes. No odd behaviors.
A few thoughts:
-Though the explosion happened twice before I gave up for the night, it was not in one spot.
-I had almost no effects running.
-I rebooted everything, saved the song to a new file, and the sound burst happened in the same song after the reboot.
-CPU was barely moving with just a few tracks being used.
-The second explosion after the reboot was on playback only. No recording involved.
The only things that were different that day: 1) I installed some midi drums from Groove Monkey into Steven Slate. Worked fine. 2) I used the pitchlist from Groove Monkey in SSD5. Very helpful. I can not imagine that any of that would affect the DAW but it is the *only* baseline change I did to my usual studio machine that day. Even so, worked fine for several hours before the sound volume explosions so I think these are red herrings..
Specs: Windows 10, I7-8 cores, 32GB RAM, 6TB storage, MOTU, S1 4.5, SSD5, East West and Kontact a few months old.
Any clues on resolving this one yet? Its a serious problem.
by robertgray3 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:55 pm
geoffreyraines wroteThis deafening loud noise bug is one of the most serious defects you could have in a DAW. Unfortunately, it happened to me twice last night, for the first time.
What happens: an amazingly loud white noise, across a wide range of frequencies pops out of nowhere deafening you until you can shut it off. To be clear, this is not a loud hit or track or a mixing issue. It is full on maxed out roaring. (A big contrast to the acoustic country song I was working on.) I saw the meter coming down after I stopped it and the meter showed +8000 as it fell. (normally peaking at -3)
What I was doing: tracking an acoustic. The song was an hour old and fairly quiet, low volume. Very simple so far. Steven Slate Drums 5 on two tracks. Kontact Bass. East West piano. East West Violin. CPU was barely moving. Peaking at -8db. 10 tracks max. Nothing more than an EQ for effects and one S1 reverb. All items I have used many times and have been very stable. No crashes. No odd behaviors.
A few thoughts:
-Though the explosion happened twice before I gave up for the night, it was not in one spot.
-I had almost no effects running.
-I rebooted everything, saved the song to a new file, and the sound burst happened in the same song after the reboot.
-CPU was barely moving with just a few tracks being used.
-The second explosion after the reboot was on playback only. No recording involved.
The only things that were different that day: 1) I installed some midi drums from Groove Monkey into Steven Slate. Worked fine. 2) I used the pitchlist from Groove Monkey in SSD5. Very helpful. I can not imagine that any of that would affect the DAW but it is the *only* baseline change I did to my usual studio machine that day. Even so, worked fine for several hours before the sound volume explosions so I think these are red herrings..
Specs: Windows 10, I7-8 cores, 32GB RAM, 6TB storage, MOTU, S1 4.5, SSD5, East West and Kontact a few months old.
Any clues on resolving this one yet? Its a serious problem.

Which version of studio one you running?

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by geoffreyraines on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:51 pm
Which version of studio one you running?

Studio One 4.6.1. Since I posted this, I was able to find out that it is in the acoustic guitar track that I recorded with a mic and a MOTU 8pre (no effects) and it only occurs sometimes on playback. Also if I bounce the entire track, all the guitar content is perfectly there, and if I do a mixdown all the content is correct. Its only on playback that it explodes, and only sometimes, though the spots do seem to be fairly consistent in the timeline.
by robertgray3 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:54 pm
I think this issue may have been fixed in 4.6.2. I would try updating.

Also, if bouncing fixes it, can’t you just bounce it? Perhaps update to 4.6.2 then bounce the offending track?

I used to see this issue and haven't had it happen since 4.6.2. Bouncing fixed it every time. Only one person in this thread mentioned having the issue in 5.0+ but they didn't provide enough info to know whether or not their issue was the same as everyone else's or a "666 error" (which sounds close in loudness sometimes but might be a separate issue).

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by ngregson on Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:56 pm
I just had this happen to me in the latest version of S1 v5.1.1.61815, so hasn’t been fixed is newer versions. It happens on a backing vocals bus feeding into a reverb. Scary as poop when it first happened at normal listening volume. It happens at the same place in the song, but is not repeatable 100% of the time. I managed to record a video of it happening and sent it to Support.
by danwilde on Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:35 am
Yep, I had this too. It measured 5233dB on the master bus. I didn't have a limiter on unfortunately and it blew one of my speakers. I did lots of tests with my speakers disconnected, took all plugins off the session but it kept happening. I've had to abandon Studio One because of it. It was session specific, only happened on 3/4 sessions but it happened quite often. Support tried to suggest it was a third party plugin but I took all plugins off the session and it continued to happen. I was worried that if it happened with a client here, especially with headphones on, it would deafen them. I switched to Logic about 5 months ago now and haven't experienced the issue since. I've also been using UAD's Luna and Harrison Mixbus and no problems on any of these other DAWS. It's a real shame as I've been using S1 for years, but this was a bug that I just could afford to live with. So unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever go back to S1
by colindeibert on Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:27 pm
I can confirm this just happened to me and is unacceptable. Luckily it was the one session where I didn’t have my monitors turned up and just set my headphones down. My master bus read +777. Running Windows 10, Focusrite Clarett 4pre and the track in question was a single solo classical guitar with a reverb plugin, but the sound happened after the end of any audio present and without any plugins activated.

104 postsPage 3 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6