104 postsPage 5 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Here is what I found out until today:

- The loud noise is produced by plugins (can be different ones). The reason why the plugins produce noise is because they are triggered by an event (invalid floating-point value or whatever) that happens at the end of a faulty clip when the playback passes it.

- What kind of noise appears depends on which plugin has been triggered.

- When the noise appears the clip indicator on the master bus shows "666"

- as soon as the faulty clip is rebuilt in the session, the issue dissapears (quit and reload the session, make a copy of the clip, cut the clip…)

- When the audio engine of a faulty session is switched to 32Bit processing, the issue dissapears. When switching back to 64Bit it appears again.

- It is not the interface. (The issue also appears with built in audio. The issue appeared for me on two different computers with two different interfaces. Audio interface stays fully functional while the issue appears. (for example I could record audio for my demo videos with the same interface at the same time.))

- the actual audio file of a faulty clip seems to be ok, the problem lies within the particular instance of it in the session.

Studio one 5. macOS Monterey. MacMini M1
by robertgray3 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:01 pm
Here’s the thing that I don’t get about this issue- when I spoke with Support about it they relayed how the Developers said S1 (ostensibly) has a feature that shuts down the output when this happens, before a full-scale noise can reach it. There are plug-ins that cause 666 errors silently (Serum did two versions ago, as did Mai Tai during late v3) so I assume this to be accurate. The problem is- in some situations this feature does not work and it makes its way to the speakers. The first release of WA Imperfect and Impact XT during mid v4 both come to mind.

I’ve reported many of these over the years and the individual situations all were fixed (either by Presonus or a third party) but they’ve never seemed to address the underlying issue: these failures should not be audible to this degree.

Interesting find with 32 bit vs 64. When I used to use S1 I always used 64-bit precision. Maybe the output protection is failing in 64-bit.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Bub on Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:56 am
robertgray3 wroteInteresting find with 32 bit vs 64. When I used to use S1 I always used 64-bit precision. Maybe the output protection is failing in 64-bit.

I've had it happen with and without 64-bit Precision.

If I had to guess I'd say what's happening is some kind of cache or buffers somewhere is getting cleared when switching between 32 and 64 and it just takes longer for it to happen in 32. Just guessing.

Thank you for contacting support about it and getting some results.

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.
by robertgray3 on Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 am
Bub wrote
robertgray3 wroteInteresting find with 32 bit vs 64. When I used to use S1 I always used 64-bit precision. Maybe the output protection is failing in 64-bit.

I've had it happen with and without 64-bit Precision

Good to know that's not it, then.

Thank you for contacting support about it and getting some results.

No problem. It was helpful to learn that there's supposed to be a system to prevent this. Although since that was a year ago it's not very encouraging to see that the nature of the issue isn't translating to a higher priority of fixing it.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Ognam on Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:09 pm
Today the issue appeared again, and for some reason I did not get the noise when console shaper was active on my master bus. The issue was there, showed 666 and everything, but only noise with console shaper off...

Studio one 5. macOS Monterey. MacMini M1
by danieltorres36 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:23 pm
I've since contacted support as well. They acknowledged this was a problem they were investigating (for what it's worth)

One observation in my case: I only have S1 plug-ins on my chain, and the problem seems to happen 90% of the time at the beginning of (or very close to) an Arranger section. Though I might be getting paranoid at this point.
by Modular13 on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:36 am
I'm working on S1 5.4.1 on Mac and sincerely this problem is insane.
It happens to me every day.
Sometime when I just solo a track on my mix session, this problem comes.
Ok I put a limiter on my Listening Bus but, please Presonus, do something for that because it's a huge problem moreover when you listen the session with clients... It's dangerous too for someone who forget to put a limiter..
As a lot of people, I have no choice to restart my Daw to fix it.
by danieltorres36 on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:02 pm
Question for those seeing this on an M1 system: does it happen if you run in Rosetta compatibility mode? (see https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... setta-mode)
by michaelmarton on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:22 pm
I just solved this on my system. It's a corruption in the way Studio One builds events. I thought it was plugins at first so I'd go through and find a plugin that seemed like it was the cause and disable it, reset the meters and it would work. Would also work if I disabled all plugins but re-enabled would still sometimes have the issue so I'd have to restart S1 altogether. It seemed to be on audio tracks that had been rendered from VSTi's but what fixed it for me was putting a small volume crossfade on the event beginning. Instead of having the audio event start immediately just make even the smallest volume fade at the beginning so it's not audible even but the event has to start at 0 so can't overload. The last few nights I couldn't even work on the project I'm doing, now it's completely fine. Presonus knows about it, hope they fix it. I'll be working on this project the next few nights so I'll be wary of it happening again but last night there was no indication of it happening after I did the event edits.

Hex core 8770K, Win 10 64 bit, Apollo X8, Konnekt48 (ADAT/midi), Roland D-20, JD-Xi, Mixbus, Studio One Pro 5.4, Hardware and Guitars.
by robertgray3 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:32 pm
michaelmarton wroteI just solved this on my system. It's a corruption in the way Studio One builds events. I thought it was plugins at first so I'd go through and find a plugin that seemed like it was the cause and disable it, reset the meters and it would work. Would also work if I disabled all plugins but re-enabled would still sometimes have the issue so I'd have to restart S1 altogether. It seemed to be on audio tracks that had been rendered from VSTi's but what fixed it for me was putting a small volume crossfade on the event beginning. Instead of having the audio event start immediately just make even the smallest volume fade at the beginning so it's not audible even but the event has to start at 0 so can't overload. The last few nights I couldn't even work on the project I'm doing, now it's completely fine. Presonus knows about it, hope they fix it. I'll be working on this project the next few nights so I'll be wary of it happening again but last night there was no indication of it happening after I did the event edits.

Glad to hear that! I had a conversation with them about bouncing VSTis producing that issue somewhere around 4.6.1 and back then they blamed it on happenstance or plugins (although Mai Tai did it too back then). That's good that they know about it now.

There are other situations that can cause a noise to slip through but that was a common one for me, good to have some corroboration on it.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by MarciaFunebre on Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:36 pm
You can add the free Cerberus Ice9 plugin to the master channel. It helps save gear and ear!

Mac Pro 7.1, 244GB RAM, Monterey, S1 6pro, VEP
by danieltorres36 on Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:08 pm
MarciaFunebre wroteYou can add the free Cerberus Ice9 plugin to the master channel. It helps save gear and ear!

Unfortunately, that plugin hasn't been available for a while.
by MarciaFunebre on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:44 am
danieltorres36 wrote
MarciaFunebre wroteYou can add the free Cerberus Ice9 plugin to the master channel. It helps save gear and ear!

Unfortunately, that plugin hasn't been available for a while.

You can still find it for download if you look around.

Mac Pro 7.1, 244GB RAM, Monterey, S1 6pro, VEP
by Morticia on Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:15 am
You can get it here:

https://freevstplugins.net/cerberus-aud ... -automute/

Put it at the very end of you signal chain, post-fader, on the master buss. Set the threshold to < 0 dB

Be aware that it is no longer being developed or supported and may not work on some versions of Mac OS. Also as software evolves, it is probable that there will come a time when Ice 9 ceases to function altogether.
However it has saved my hearing on a couple of occasions now.

Given the amount of time this issue has been lurking in S1 (since V2), it is very unlikely IMO that Personus will ever fix this.
So Ice 9 is the best workaround I know to this issue.
Until it isn't.

AMD Phenom quad core | 8 GB RAM | Roland UA-25 EX audio interface | Radeon HD 2400 Pro | Win 8.1 x64 | Studio One Pro v3.5.6 x64

"The queen of spades is a friend of mine, the queen of hearts is a bitch
someday when I clean up my mind, I'll find out which is which"
Gram Parsons
by danieltorres36 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:45 pm
Anybody has tried 5.5 to see if the issue is still there?
by henriksvensson on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:46 am
I had this issue today on the latest version of S1 (was using headphones..). It seems it was an instance of room reverb on a send that was causing it. And it happened at the end of the last clip in the song.
by danieltorres36 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:50 pm
Rats. That's a shame. I got told by their customer service that 5.5 had solved the issue (from their release logs):

Improvements:

● Improved handling of plug-in processing errors

Fixes:

● “666” error on processing particular Audio Events

Perhaps that error is not the only cause for the problem. This is really bad news, as it is a real hazard for those of us mixing with headphones. My audiologist confirmed that my incident did harm my ears (though I'm still in the 'normal' hearing range, fortunately), this could really be grounds for a lawsuit. On the other hand, I wonder if it is a problem exclusive to StudioOne.
by robertgray3 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:07 am
That’s a shame that errors are still able to get passed to the output in the new version.

danieltorres36 wroteOn the other hand, I wonder if it is a problem exclusive to StudioOne.

Yes and no… It’s sadly more common than not that DAW programmers don’t view the output of their product as potentially harmful and don’t bother safeguarding their outputs against bad data or plugin errors (probably because to a programmer “files shouldn’t have errors” or “plug-ins shouldn’t do that”).

You can see reports of this occasionally in other DAWs but I’m *guessing* it comes up more often in Studio One because their convenient bouncing features can pass previously unheard errors through to the files they create (as in earlier in this thread) and their audio engine seems to prioritize ultra low latency at the expense of any errors/problems getting passed on to the output. There are some actions that in Studio One will result in immediate adjustments with an audio artifact, but in Cubase they result in a momentary muting of audio or in Logic/REAPER they result in a delayed reaction due to all their extra buffering.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by roland1 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:13 pm
I lost my driver yesterday when I deactivated an FX chain. Heard a clicking noise; metered into the red. Then, no more audio.

I then reset the buffer rate to something else, then back again. This made a clicking sound that tells me that the driver is working again.

There's still something going on under the hood that needs to be fixed. All those plugins in the chain (on that channel) were Presonus plugins, btw.

Sure, I could blame my Focusrite interface, but it doesn't happen when I'm using Reason, Digital Performer, Reaper or Cakewalk.

Thankfully, it doesn't happen very often.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Lokeyfly on Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:36 pm
roland1 wroteI lost my driver yesterday when I deactivated an FX chain. Heard a clicking noise; metered into the red. Then, no more audio........

What were you doing golfing, when you should have been concentrating on your audio fx chain?

Could you elaborate further Sir, so we can better understand the issue. ;)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

104 postsPage 5 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6