41 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
darrenporter1 wroteWhatever. If you have another mic for the task, then good for you. If all you have is an SM58 you CAN make it work. His issue is his crappy "interface" and we have been going over that in PM's together.

Glad you are helping. Note to self, stay clear of AR8 for studio use :thumbup:

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by jerrydavis8 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:05 am
Thanks again for the input. I appreciate your time and thoughts.

This is my first experience with digital recording.

I reached out to the people I bought the AR8 through. Guitar Center.

I explained that I had come into the store and asked "What Do I Need" The salesperson immediately pulled up the AR8. He explained the Studio One Artist software came with it and the Pre Amps were amazing.

I thought about it a couple of days, looked at the software on line (Not The AR8 or Interface options) MY MISTAKE I called the store and said I was coming in to get the AR8. They didn't have one on hand so I went online and purchased through their online store to get it here in time for Christmas.

Long story short. I spoke with the local manager. Complained about the poor recommendation. He told me to come in and they will work out an exchange for the 1810c.

Question: When I look at "Options" in Studio One for "Audio Set" > "Audio Devices" the 1810 is not listed. I see AUDIO BOX - FIRE STUDIO- QUANTAM - STUDIO 192 > STUDIO USB > and others but no 1810c. Will the 1810c appear when I have it connected.

Thanks

Windows 11
Studio One Professional
1810C Interface
by darrenporter1 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:08 pm
Awesome. Stupud Guitar Center... I never ask them for recommendations or advice. I always go in with my mind made up and get in and out quickly for that very reason. Good for them offering to make it right though. Hopefully they won't try and saddle you with a "restocking fee."

Something to consider... If you can get them to give you your money back instead, you can still score the old silver-faced 1810 models, brand new in box, for way less money and pocket the difference... or put it towards a used NT1A or NT2 to replace your busted one. The 1810 and 1810c are 100% functionally identical... only difference is the color and the cable you use to connect it to your PC/Mac so you are not losing-out on anything. Both come with the same set of software freebies too. (bx_opto is a really really good compressor.)

The 1810 is a great interface that has lots of room to grow into. The preamps are definitely an upgrade from the AR8. You probably won't be upgrading in the future just to get more I/O... it packs a lot even without ADAT expansion. I have one now and it works great. I bought it as a stop-gap in between my TASCAM and my new Audient and it worked very well. I will probably keep it to use as a backup or for a 2nd recording/listening setup.

When you plug it in, the Universal Control app should automatically pick it up and then it will be available in S1. If not, make sure you update Universal Control to the latest version and make sure you either just install all the drivers by default or if doing a custom install, be sure to select the 1810c.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by Tacman7 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:27 pm
I was wrong again, or I was almost right the first time...

There is a trim knob, check out this vid at 4:27:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2jd3GuNvW0

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Jemusic on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:56 am
It is better to get the right levels coming using the gain in the MicPre while the Input TRIM controls are around unity or 0.0 dB. They can makeup some gain but their function is to trim the levels coming in once the MicPre gain is set close to the right place. If the MicPre is adding noise, it will only get louder if you added gain here.

Sounds like the replacement interface will be much better for the job at hand. The 1810c is an excellent interface and starts off with 80 dB of gain instead. Also the preamps are the XMAX version too. I have been working with this interface and it sounds excellent.

A cheaper condenser mic such as the Rode NT1a will do an excellent job of the acoustic guitar even 12" from the 12th fret. Incoming levels will be strong. Acoustic guitar recordings need quiet locations, turn the gain up at the MicPre for a strong signal into Studio One.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by shanabit on Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:49 am
According to the product specs not he AR8 it has XLR Female, Class A XMAX pre amps. Call me confused? Are there diff XMAX pres as well in diff products? The gain on the pre is def way better on the 1810

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by SwitchBack on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:18 pm
Doesn’t say XMax anywhere, just “one of Presonus’ prize winning” preamps.

Frankly I believe the AR mixers are getting some unjust stick here. They are what they are and do what it says. You can’t buy one and then expect the specs to improve on the way home. Horses for courses. For live use these mixers perform just fine and with live levels recording is perfectly fine too.

What you can’t do is take one of these into the studio, plug in a handheld live vocal mic like the SM58 and expect a pristine acoustic guitar recording from that, as that’s plain silly. You need a better suited mic for that and yes, for a studio probably a better interface too. But start by replacing the mic.
by darrenporter1 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:19 pm
The AR8 is in the "I need both but I can only afford one" category. If you only need a studio interface, stay clear of it. You can do WAY better for less money. Or if you are gigging singer/songwriter solo/duet artist and you want to record some shows directly onto it and take them home to pretty them up for demos or even a "live" release. Works fine for that too.

That's the short-story version. I don't Presonus would try and tell you any different either.

by darrenporter1 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:22 pm
Jemusic wroteThe 1810c is an excellent interface and starts off with 80 dB of gain instead. Also the preamps are the XMAX version too. I have been working with this interface and it sounds excellent.

I really like the 1810c too. Great middle-of-the-pack interface. Decent XMAX preamps, lots of I/O built right in, expandable via ADAT, solid drivers.

by shanabit on Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:28 am
[quote="SwitchBack"]Doesn’t say XMax anywhere, just “one of Presonus’ prize winning” preamps.

/quote]

You must have me confused with some diptard that cant read the specs. Take another look. Where do you think I got that info :roll:

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by darrenporter1 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:17 am
shanabit wrote
SwitchBack wroteDoesn’t say XMax anywhere, just “one of Presonus’ prize winning” preamps.

/quote]

You must have me confused with some diptard that cant read the specs. Take another look. Where do you think I got that info :roll:

OK there is some confusion here. The current "AR8" product page is for the AR8c, which apparently is a brand-new product. It does in fact say "XMAX" when describing the preamps.

When this thread started, that page was not there... it was for the older "AR8" which did in fact not say "XMAX" anywhere. The Sweetwater page for the AR8 does not say "XMAX" anywhere either.

Still, only 55dB of gain though. Not sure what features are "new" about the AR8c vs the AR8.... looks like Bluetooth 5.0 vs 4.1 and USB-C connector is the obvious one.

by jerrydavis8 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:05 pm
SwitchBack wroteDoesn’t say XMax anywhere, just “one of Presonus’ prize winning” preamps.

Frankly I believe the AR mixers are getting some unjust stick here. They are what they are and do what it says. You can’t buy one and then expect the specs to improve on the way home. Horses for courses. For live use these mixers perform just fine and with live levels recording is perfectly fine too.

What you can’t do is take one of these into the studio, plug in a handheld live vocal mic like the SM58 and expect a pristine acoustic guitar recording from that, as that’s plain silly. You need a better suited mic for that and yes, for a studio probably a better interface too. But start by replacing the mic.

Points taken. And I really don't mean to bash the AR8. It's actually a very cool unit, , I get that. Just wasn't what I needed. I see that clearly now.

After the G.C. recommendation I should have looked at it closely and gotten educated like I am doing now. Being my first DAW experience I was focused on software, not interface. Once i was all in on Studio One I pulled the trigger on the AR8 without knowing what I know now.."Interface is crucial"

I assure you I was not expecting pristine results with a 58. Some level would have been nice though. When I discovered my NT2 was broke I reached for a mic. I noticed immediately the level reaching the software for vocals was extremely weak and for acoustic guitar...just about non-existent. Glad it went the way it did really. Found my mistake, here I am fixing it,

And thankful to be here too.

Windows 11
Studio One Professional
1810C Interface
by jerrydavis8 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:22 pm
darrenporter1 wroteAwesome. Stupud Guitar Center... I never ask them for recommendations or advice. I always go in with my mind made up and get in and out quickly for that very reason. Good for them offering to make it right though. Hopefully they won't try and saddle you with a "restocking fee."

"Happy to report Guitar Center made this a pretty easy swap. 100% refund no restock fee. Also gave me 25% off 1810c for my trouble. Plus 25% off a couple pair of headphones I picked up"

Also got turned onto a guy here in Nashville that repairs and hot rods microphones. The NT2 I have is over 16 years old. I'm told they were better then. Worth saving if I can. Certainly the right guy for the job!

When you plug it in, the Universal Control app should automatically pick it up and then it will be available in S1. If not, make sure you update Universal Control to the latest version and make sure you either just install all the drivers by default or if doing a custom install, be sure to select the 1810c.

Thanks,
Last edited by jerrydavis8 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows 11
Studio One Professional
1810C Interface
by darrenporter1 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:56 pm
Sweet!

Always good to hear a Guitar Center story where they went above and beyond to fix their blunders.

And I had no idea your NT2 was one of the original stock! Yes, the mic capsules in those are fantastic Austrailian made capsules. Definitely worth fixing! There is a mod you can do to the NT2 circuit to make it pretty much capable of using with a U47 in a matched-pair. I did it to mine and it does sound better than it did before for sure. Tames the high-end they are criticized for.

I'll see if I can dig-up the mod and you can pass it on to your repair guy.

edit: here it is... I did the mod Kingkorg suggested to me. I did not use the pot, just the fixed resistor suggested.

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=72611.0

by jerrydavis8 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:11 pm
darrenporter1

You are a gentleman!! Thank you so much for all your help getting me on the right path.

I will definitely look into doing that mod.

Windows 11
Studio One Professional
1810C Interface
by renatojacobsen on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:32 am
Any suggestions for a pre-amp when using an sm58 with audiobox usb96 to record voice? I have just bought that microphone to replace a usb one in order to record voice and instrument at the same time in GarageBand and had no idea it needed pre-amplification, it records almost nothing without it.
by Tacman7 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:08 am
Welcome to the Forum!

That mic has good output unless it has a problem.

You should be able to use it. If you could collect some data we can see what's going on.

https://s1manual.presonus.com/#Setup_To ... 257C_____2

Can you get screen shots of your interface setup in S1, your mic track settings maybe, any thing else you're concerned about etc.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by SwitchBack on Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:38 am
Also, make sure you use a cable with XLR connectors on both ends (one male, one female). And the SM58 needs to be very close to your mouth (3-5" is good for recording).

Last remark: There are a lot of SM58 knock-offs out there. A new SM58 costs about $100. Find one a lot cheaper and it's probably a fake.
by roland1 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:05 pm
I know I'm late to the party here, but that mic issue has been going on for decades anyway.

It annoys me that you can buy an SM57 mic so cheap, but then you have to spend as much or more on a supplementary power booster just to get enough signal into your average digital audio interface.

If you've got an old analog console sitting around with trim and lots of oomph, you're okay, otherwise you may need to buy a Cloudlifter or similar.

But they don't tell you that when you're buying these mics. They just talk about how good they sound. :)

Marketers...please line up and face the wall. :D

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by shanabit on Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:04 pm
roland1 wroteIt annoys me that you can buy an SM57 mic so cheap, but then you have to spend as much or more on a supplementary power booster just to get enough signal into your average digital audio interface.

But they don't tell you that when you're buying these mics. They just talk about how good they sound. :)

That is all I was saying here as well. SM58 or SM57 on a guitar cab or for a vocal sure. Miking an acoustic you will def need a cloud lifter as those mics were designed with proximity in mind.
They are dynamic mics after all.

There is a reason we use condensers on an acoustic guitar. LDC or SDC.

I just gave away an SM58 and a Senn E835. SDC or LDC for my acoustic here. An SM7B would work too but you would need the lifter for that as well me thinks.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013

41 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3