41 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
Hello,

Recently I purchased the AR8 Artist Interface.

I am barely getting signal to the recording software when I use a microphone for vocals or an acoustic guitar, I have to open it wide open. So much so I'm getting hum even under headphones. Seems like something is very wrong here. The sales person told me the pres on this unit were really good. That's not my experience so far.

I'm using channel one to direct signal to the software. It's practically a flat line on the track with the acoustic guitar. I am not using a mic that requires phantom power. Just an SM58. Results are really quite terrible at this point.

What am I dong wrong.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Windows 11
Studio One Professional
1810C Interface
by Tacman7 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:22 am
Some specs in your signature would be good.

Could you describe the signal flow from mic to headphones? How you have it setup and how you're using it.

If no problems with setup then it could be you just need to use proper gain staging.

So you get a weak digital input on a track, add a compressor, preamp, or other things to boost the signal you monitor.

Also there is a trim knob where you have to hold shift down to change it.

You only want to turn your actual preamps up about half way.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by SwitchBack on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:07 am
If you try to record the acoustic guitar with an SM58 then no wonder you get a weak signal. The SM58 is a vocal mic and not sensitive enough for that kind of job. How much would you be prepared to spend on say a condenser mic?
by shanabit on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:17 am
SwitchBack wroteIf you try to record the acoustic guitar with an SM58 then no wonder you get a weak signal. The SM58 is a vocal mic and not sensitive enough for that kind of job. How much would you be prepared to spend on say a condenser mic?

Exactly. You have to eat the SM58 in a live situation let alone trying to track an acoustic from a foot away.

Get a proper condenser mic

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by darrenporter1 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:07 pm
I just looked at the specs for the AR8.... pretty pathetic actually. The preamps only have 50dB of gain and they are actually not the XMAX preamps. SN ratio at the outputs... only 85dB! Yikes... this thing is going to struggle with any dynamic mic on any source.

You can try something like a Cloudlifter to get some extra clean gain but that's a waste of money IMO.

Unless you really really need the hardware mixer features, hopefully you bought it somewhere you can return it and get a proper interface. For example, you can still find brand-new older line 1810 (not the 1810c but they are internally identical) for only about $250. That represents an absolutely fantastic bargain for a very capable interface that you can grow with... for example... 80dB of gain on the much better XMAX preamps and 108dB SN ratio at the outputs.

That's my advice anyways.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by SwitchBack on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:06 am
darrenporter1 wroteI just looked at the specs for the AR8.... pretty pathetic actually. The preamps only have 50dB of gain and they are actually not the XMAX preamps. SN ratio at the outputs... only 85dB! Yikes... this thing is going to struggle with any dynamic mic on any source.
Remember that this is just a simple analog mixer with recording interface. And for recording you don't have to go through the outputs so recording S/N figures are better.

The mic pre's could have done with 10dB extra gain, yet I'm using the AR8 as a backup/Swiss army knive/gaffer tape tool in the box and haven't run out of taper on the gain pots yet. The noise levels are acceptable and the features/size ratio (including built-in power supply!) is hard to beat ;)
by jerrydavis8 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:08 am
Thanks for all the comments, Yeah the 58 is definitely not my 1st choice. I'm placing it at the 12th fret about 3" away. Still zip. I have/had a Rode NT2 for vocals and acoustic guitar but my toddler rolled it down the stairs a few weeks ago. I asked her why...she didn't know for sure. Probably the same reason she poked in the tweeters on my monitors. It's broke. :roll:

I need a new condenser mic for sure. It would be interesting to see the difference. Still seems that output is a bit weak.

Sounds like a quality Mic Pre could be in order as well.

Thanks again.

Windows 11
Studio One Professional
1810C Interface
by jerrydavis8 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:17 am
SwitchBack wrote
darrenporter1 wroteI just looked at the specs for the AR8.... pretty pathetic actually. The preamps only have 50dB of gain and they are actually not the XMAX preamps. SN ratio at the outputs... only 85dB! Yikes... this thing is going to struggle with any dynamic mic on any source.
Remember that this is just a simple analog mixer with recording interface. And for recording you don't have to go through the outputs so recording S/N figures are better.

The mic pre's could have done with 10dB extra gain, yet I'm using the AR8 as a backup/Swiss army knive/gaffer tape tool in the box and haven't run out of taper on the gain pots yet. The noise levels are acceptable and the features/size ratio (including built-in power supply!) is hard to beat ;)

I bought the AR8 to get the Studio One software thinking it was an adequate interface, based on the salespersons pitch. He raved about the Pre Amps. :hunf:

Guess it pays to do your own research. Thanks!

Windows 11
Studio One Professional
1810C Interface
by darrenporter1 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:21 am
ouch.... sounds like you need a deadbolt on your studio door.

I still think if it's your only interface, you can do a WHOLE LOT better for less money, especially if you have to get external gain boosters and/or external preamps just to get a decent recording level. Other AD/DA specs are lacking on it as well. That's why I said unless you absolutely need the out-of-the-box mixing features, it is a waste of money.

Also, that NT2 is worth trying to salvage. If you have any soldering skills you can fix it, even if the capsule got ruined. But yeah trying to find a decent LDC will always help, no matter what you are plugging it into.

by jerrydavis8 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:39 am
Tacman7 wrote
Also there is a trim knob where you have to hold shift down to change it.

You only want to turn your actual preamps up about half way.

A trim knob? In the software or on the interface?

Thanks

Windows 11
Studio One Professional
1810C Interface
by Tacman7 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:49 pm
Sorry, I was thinking of Cubase, what I thought was trim here is channel editor where you can split the signal.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by shanabit on Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:10 pm
jerrydavis8 wroteI need a new condenser mic for sure. It would be interesting to see the difference. Still seems that output is a bit weak.

Thanks again.

3 feet from the guitar with an SM58, your problem has been revealed.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by jerrydavis8 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:14 pm
After looking at this a little deeper I have the wrong interface. I don't need anything that the AR8 does really. What I need is a better interface.

Years ago I recorded song demos with an ADAT, 16 Channel mixer, outboard gear etc...

I quit some time ago. My oldest daughter wanted to start writing and recording so we looked into going digital. I spoke with and purchased directly through Presonus. I explained I wanted to start her off with Studio One. That we would be recording guitar vocal tracks primarily and I wanted to know what we need. They recommended the AR8.

There must have been a misunderstanding. The 1810c would be perfect. Certainly better than what I have now. I purchased in December and have reached out to Presonus about returning and exchanging. Wish me luck.

Windows 11
Studio One Professional
1810C Interface
by jerrydavis8 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:17 pm
shanabit wrote
jerrydavis8 wroteI need a new condenser mic for sure. It would be interesting to see the difference. Still seems that output is a bit weak.

Thanks again.

3 feet from the guitar with an SM58, your problem has been revealed.

Did I say 3'...I meant 3" My bad!! :oops:

Windows 11
Studio One Professional
1810C Interface
by jerrydavis8 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:19 pm
Tacman7 wroteSorry, I was thinking of Cubase, what I thought was trim here is channel editor where you can split the signal.

No problem, I got excited for a minute. Thought you may have a suggested a workaround.

Windows 11
Studio One Professional
1810C Interface
by shanabit on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:00 pm
jerrydavis8 wrote3 feet from the guitar with an SM58, your problem has been revealed.

Did I say 3'...I meant 3" My bad!! :oops:[/quote]

My fault I read 3 feet, either way an SM58 3 inches off the source will give no level to speak of. It really was designed for LIVE use and to reduce feedback and requires your mouth to be on the thing.

If I take an SM58 here with my interface and mic it like you have I will have the SAME issue here and have to crank the mic pres making lots of noise and a low signal level. SM58 is a great live mic and takes EQ well, studio NO BUENO. A Sennheiser E835 is better and has more signal.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by darrenporter1 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:08 am
sorry... duplicate post...
Last edited by darrenporter1 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

by darrenporter1 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:13 am
darrenporter1 wrote
shanabit wrote
jerrydavis8 wrote3 feet from the guitar with an SM58, your problem has been revealed.

Did I say 3'...I meant 3" My bad!! :oops:

My fault I read 3 feet, either way an SM58 3 inches off the source will give no level to speak of. It really was designed for LIVE use and to reduce feedback and requires your mouth to be on the thing.

If I take an SM58 here with my interface and mic it like you have I will have the SAME issue here and have to crank the mic pres making lots of noise and a low signal level. SM58 is a great live mic and takes EQ well, studio NO BUENO. A Sennheiser E835 is better and has more signal.

yeah, same for an SM57... NO BUENO in the studio! :P

There absolutely IS a place in the studio for an SM58 (other than the slight presence boost they are the same mic as an SM57.) I've used them on many occasions. If it is the only mic you own, you can still make outstanding recordings! Can you do better with mics specifically suited to the task? Of course you can! But to say it has no place in a studio setting is just not accurate at all.

If you have to boost your preamps so high that there is low mic level and high noise level, frankly your preamps are at fault, not the mic!

by shanabit on Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:40 am
darrenporter1 wrote
yeah, same for an SM57... NO BUENO in the studio! :P

There absolutely IS a place in the studio for an SM58 (other than the slight presence boost they are the same mic as an SM57.) I've used them on many occasions. If it is the only mic you own, you can still make outstanding recordings! Can you do better with mics specifically suited to the task? Of course you can! But to say it has no place in a studio setting is just not accurate at all.

If you have to boost your preamps so high that there is low mic level and high noise level, frankly your preamps are at fault, not the mic!

Whatever dude, good luck getting an awesome acoustic sound with that.

SM57 on a guitar cab, sure, SM58 on a vocal with a good pre, sure. SM58 or SM57 On acoustic, no thanks. Im sure all the great studios track an acoustic with an SM58, lol :thumbdown:

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by darrenporter1 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:08 am
Whatever. If you have another mic for the task, then good for you. If all you have is an SM58 you CAN make it work. His issue is his crappy "interface" and we have been going over that in PM's together.

41 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3