17 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm an amateur musician hoping to transition from Sonar/Cakewalk to Studio One 4 Professional. However, one thing holding me back is parting with the wealth of instruments I've accumulated for use with my Cakewalk DAW's.

I found Sonar and Cakewalk to be robust, stable, and more than adequate for my needs. But it feels like a large footprint, creating folders all over my hard drive. It also requires Command Center and BandLab Assistant to download all the necessary goods. Meanwhile, Studio One is faster, simpler, and cleaner -- possibly much more to my style.

So I would like to use my Cakewalk VST's with Studio One, as it doesn't seem to have as much variety as I hoped. I attempted this by dragging Sonar's VST folders (Sound Center, TTS-1, Studio Instruments Suite, Session Drummer) into Presonus' respective VST folder.

To my astonishment, all those plugins seemed to work fine...until I uninstalled Cakewalk. It seems those plugins have a dependency on their former location (which no longer exists). I'm frustrated and disappointed -- and skeptical of Studio One's claim to support third-party VST's.

Although I'm sure Studio One possibly offers all the instruments I need, I'd love to be able to use Cakewalk's VST plugins there also. Is this at all possible? In the meantime, I'm trying to sway myself to just dive into Studio One, enjoy it to the fullest, and leave the Cakewalk mess of software behind...

Any insight to this conundrum would be much appreciated! :)

Presonus Studio One 4 Professional (Windows 10)
Intel I7-6700K (Asus Maximus VIII GENE)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD (1TB)
G.Skill DDR4-3000 RAM (16GB)
by Tacman7 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:04 am
You only have to point S1 to where the VST's are installed, no need to move them anywhere.

Settings locations

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Grundberg on Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:15 am
Tacman7 wroteYou only have to point S1 to where the VST's are installed, no need to move them anywhere.

Settings locations

Thank you. I was aware of this; I forgot to mention that the Presonus VST path is in the Scan locations.

But it appears as though once Cakewalk's folders are gone, these plugins no longer work in SO -- hence the dependency on that other location.

I prefer not to have Cakewalk (unused) cluttering up my hard drive as a crutch for its plugins to work elsewhere.

by sirmonkey on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:23 pm
Just an idea here (and you might have to temporarily reinstall Cakewalk)...
Maybe you could make a backup copy of Cakewalks VST folders. Then have
Studio One scan that folder on startup. Worth a shot, I guess.
I'm no expert, so there may be reasons that I'm unaware of that this idea won't work.
But if you're lucky, maybe it could work.
Good luck in any event!

P.S. I briefly installed Bandlab out of curiosity, and because it was free. I soon
uninstalled it because of the catch: The requirement to frequently to go online
and update. I want being online to be an option, not a requirement. I hate that!

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by chrismarshall2 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:56 am
I have a feeling you need to have Sonar still installed to have those remain functioning. Even with Bandlab (free), you still need an install of Sonar Platinum (or whatever you were on) to have those plugins stay working.

I also found there there are still some Sonar 3rd party plugs that are licenced to work only with Sonar, and won't convert.

But that said, I moved a couple years ago during the Gibdon Debacle and hardly ever use the VSTs that came bundled with Cake. Dim Pro and Rature are still there, but I don't use them. The only thing I still miss is the ProChannel, and in that mainly the eq. compressor and console shaper. Building a template with ProEq and/or Fat Channel gets round the first two easily, and the S1 consoleFX is an ok-ish thing that's easy to apply on the busses.

Wood

Windows 10 (1909), i9 9900k, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface Pro, S1 Pro 4.6
by dcumpian on Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:21 am
chrismarshall2 wroteI have a feeling you need to have Sonar still installed to have those remain functioning.

Yes, when you uninstalled Sonar, you uninstalled it's plugins too.

Dan
by darrenporter1 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:45 am
Have you tried the Sonar forums? Or maybe a Reddit channel for Sonar users?

I switched to S1 when Gibson pulled the plug too and have never looked back. Totally glad I made the switch.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by daniellesaux on Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:38 pm
I'm also an ex Cakewalk user and moved over to Studio One after the whole debacle. Studio One blows the doors off of Cakewalk. Frankly, the only Cakewalk VST I still use is the CA-2A. Studio One already has great effects and instruments built in. Take some time to remix and replace. Good practice and cleaner way of transferring files.

Peace!

Dan

PreSonus Studio One Professional 6.0.1
Windows 11 Home Edition 64 bit
Rocket Lake Z590 Desktop PC with Intel i5-11600K processor @ 4.60 GHz / 32G RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 750
LG Full HD Monitor 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Toshiba HDWD110 1TB System Drive and HDWD110 1TB Audio File Drive, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB Samples Drives, Seagate BUP Slim BK 2TB USB Backup Drive
PreSonus 1824C Audio Interface
PreSonus Faderport 2018
PreSonus Studio Channel, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, KT-2A and 76-KT
Check out my website http://www.dlsmusic.net
by Grundberg on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:37 pm
It looks as though the verdict is unanimous that the Cakewalk plugins won't work in Studio One without a Cakewalk installation in place. Now, switching the focus to the other aspect of this topic: making the switch to Studio One...

PREFACE:
I'm an amateur music composer who doesn't sing or play instruments. All my projects are composed straight from my PC, using only software VST's, synths, etc.

I purchased Cakewalk Music Creator some years ago, later moving onto Sonar Artist and Cakewalk by Bandlab. I've begun several song projects there and I now worry that I might have trouble migrating these projects to Studio One. So, I currently have Sonar Artist, Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One v4.

Second notable fact: The Cakewalk DAW offers an enormous variety of instruments. There's TTS-1, Studio Instruments Suite, Session Drummer 3, and Cakewalk Sound Center. (Also the several Digital Sound Factory instrument libraries I purchased for Sound Center.) I have access to at least 2,000 instruments across the board (including the drum kits). I've sampled almost all the Studio One instrument sounds and feel a bit hesitant considering SO4's instrument library isn't nearly as diverse. I'm trying to convince myself that Studio One's instrument library is more than adequate.

Those are just a few reasons why I'm having trouble with this decision. Other reasons include, in brief:

1) Sonar and Cakewalk take longer to start up when starting into a project
2) Sonar and Cakewalk create folders all over my hard drive (bigger footprint)
3) Cakewalk requires an Assistant to install add-ons and an app to install Cakewalk by BandLab
4) Sonar and Cakewalk seem to have a deeper learning curve and every function is more involved

In regards to Studio One:
1) It's just simpler and cleaner, less of a learning curve
2) It's a clearer resolution when upscaled 125%
3) It starts up quickly and is more responsive

(I think my biggest issue in switching is plainly that Sonar/Cakewalk have lots, lots more instruments.)

I'm thinking aloud, still struggling to decide if I'm ready to leave Cakewalk behind. I know I have to make the decision myself, but any other outside opinions are certainly welcome! :)
Last edited by Grundberg on Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by sirmonkey on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:59 pm
Well, you don't have to exclusively use one or the other. I'm sure you'll discover new sounds/synths and stuff to use in Studio One. But of course you use Cakewalk/Bandlab for instruments, and then render the tracks, and bring them into Studio One.

And there's no real hurry, is there? You could use Studio One Prime (which is free) until a sale comes
up for Studio One (sometimes these come up around holidays). In the mean time, you could
continue to learn about Studio One.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by Grundberg on Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:04 pm
sirmonkey wroteWell, you don't have to exclusively use one or the other. I'm sure you'll discover new sounds/synths and stuff to use in Studio One. But of course you use Cakewalk/Bandlab for instruments, and then render the tracks, and bring them into Studio One.

And there's no real hurry, is there? You could use Studio One Prime (which is free) until a sale comes
up for Studio One (sometimes these come up around holidays). In the mean time, you could
continue to learn about Studio One.

I purchased Studio One Professional last November. So I have very adequate versions of all three DAW's. I've been moving back and forth, experimenting with them all here and there.

I guess the point of all this is I just want to use one. 😉

by sirmonkey on Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:53 pm
Ah, silly me...it says you have S1 Pro in your signature! :oops:
And I can see why you would want to stick with one main DAW if possible.
Anyway, maybe you could list some of the instruments that are your favorites
in Cakewalk. Maybe then, other users that see this will have ideas about what
instruments you could pick up. There are lots of great inexpensive and free synths
and instruments to be had. And if we had examples of your sounds, then surely some
good suggestions will come.

by darrenporter1 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:30 am
What I did when I initially made the switch was finish songs started in SONAR in SONAR. New songs started from scratch in Studio One.

Then came a day when I realized Studio One was sooo much better it was worth the effort to export all my SONAR tracks as stems and import them into Studio One and finish things up there, even if it meant no more presets from stock plugins and I had to basically remix everything.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by Tropical Cowboy on Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:12 pm
Can I use Studio One plugins in Cakewalk and if so so how?
by GMHague on Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:30 pm
I still have an instance of Sonar X3 installed just in case I need to migrate an old Sonar song into S1, or like you I've used Sonar plugs in an older S1 song.
Really, the footprint of any software isn't such a big deal in these days of terrabyte SSD or HDD, and I would say it's not seriously impacting your PC performance.
Leave Cakewalk installed, completely wrap up any songs you're working on that involve any Cakewalk components (or Cakewalk itself) and wean yourself over to S1. Eventually, in about 6-12 months you won't need anything Cakewalk at all.
But then again, simply having Cakewalk installed permanently to access those favourite plugs shouldn't be an issue. If it doesn't adversely affect your PC performance or resources, it can happily stay there.

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver
by Tacman7 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:52 am
Welcome to the Forum!

Tropical Cowboy wroteCan I use Studio One plugins in Cakewalk and if so so how?

This is an article about the Hub:

https://musictech.com/news/presonus-hub ... VU%20Meter.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by GMHague on Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:37 pm
Tropical Cowboy wroteCan I use Studio One plugins in Cakewalk and if so so how?

Others may correct me, but I think "no" unless you install Presonus Hub and access certain plugins through that. However, I've only tried this with Harrison Mixbus, which might have been the issue. Starting a new thread about this might give you better answers.

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver

17 posts
Page 1 of 1