29 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
vanhaze wrote
robertgray3 wroteWell Mac Pros have been Xeon for a long time, if that counts for anything. Not I'm not totally happy with performance on Mac vs PC (I'm not) but I have no idea if that's because of the CPU or if its because of macOS limitations that the software isn't dealing with as well.

Would like to see an honest comparison test between S1 mac version and S1 PC version regarding CPU performance.
I have read many times from other S1 users the statement that S1 PC version performs (somewhat?) better than S1 Mac version.
The same story you can read from many Cubase users BTW ;)

macOS is more restrictive when it comes to resources than Windows. I think that’s why Cubase seems to have some struggles with it too. To be clear, I’m only somewhat dissatisfied with low latency monitoring performance for virtual instruments on Mac. I think the system’s design can be limiting considering macOS’s resource constraints.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by musicchamber on Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:12 am
I don't know what those 'restrictions' are on macOS compared to Windows, I'm not a developer and I do not have the professional coding / inside / knowledge on how things work at the OS level etc.

I can understand though if a developer relies on a third party framework, such as the QT framework, I think Steinberg uses QT, and that frame work has not been shown much love for best practices / optimisations at the core level then, I suppose, any app using that particular framework would suffer etc. Again this is only my own interpretation, because I do not have the knowledge.

What I do find very strange is how graphics performance can be wildly different between apps as well. eg Logic Pro X is lightening fast in this respect.

My 2 cents, (and not really knowing what I'm talking about!)

Best
Scott

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by Funkybot on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:49 am
grahamhunter wroteAMD isn't an option for me right now as I use UAD hardware over Thunderbolt 3.

Are there specifically issues with AMD and Thunderbolt+UAD? A few AMD boards (Asrock) support thunderbolt via an add-in card, and I just ordered a system with the Asrock Creator motherboard which has it built right into the motherboard.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by grahamhunter on Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:38 am
Funkybot wroteAre there specifically issues with AMD and Thunderbolt+UAD? A few AMD boards (Asrock) support thunderbolt via an add-in card, and I just ordered a system with the Asrock Creator motherboard which has it built right into the motherboard.

Thunderbolt is an Intel standard and I'm sure you can imagine that neither side wants to really support the other here. UAD has always been very careful to say that we should only choose systems with official Thunderbolt support:

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products

There were a lot of people having issues early on with Windows and TB2, it seems to be less of a concern with TB3.

Edit: here is the official word from UAD:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... patibility
by absyzero on Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:31 am

Ryzen 3950x , 64 gb ram ...Rme MADI FX, RME ADI 8qs ...JBL 6328 monitors...Ns10 monitors....
by grahamhunter on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:51 am
I did read that, and it doesn't answer the question of how Studio One scales out across cores (Reaper does to a point though, apparently). It also doesn't answer the question about Xeon performance.

Thanks for sharing though, it was an interesting read.
by WaterlooSunset on Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:35 pm
This user was running a dual xeon. I had some PM dialog with him in 2016 as i was interested IN XEON. He hasnt been online here for a year. You might PM Him to see if he is still around and using his xeon PC.
Hope its ok to throw out a user name.
Name was
soupiraille.

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by calebwebb4 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:43 pm
grahamhunter wroteHow would you quantify "do just fine"? Why do you believe that a server motherboard would not do well for studio usage? Do you really think that a modern i5 would outperform an i7 from just a few generations before? (edit: those are rhetorical questions, you don't need to answer them)

Although I appreciate you taking the time to respond I do believe that you're just guessing here ;)

Also note that Xeons are readily available in workstation-class computers.

I bet that a i3 12100 can out perform a i9 9900 in single thread processing with everyone should know audio uses single thread processing, , tell me I'm guessing with points that discredits mine
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:24 pm
Errrr, first post and you dig up this old chestnut? :lol:

HOWEVER, you're not wrong. GHZ is still king. That's why for this build I went i5 at almost 4 GHZ. Most of that extra core stuff doesn't always help if something is punching the first core in the kahunas. And the i5 really has plenty of cores also (6/6)

But and i3? No thanks.

Bye......:roll:

29 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2