12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Is there a way to change default velocity for pattern mode?
I often program my drums with mouse and I’m not often using pattern mode. But after programming some notes in piano roll I would like to switch to pattern mode. I see that default velocity for piano roll and pattern mode are not the same. So if I would continue to program in drum mode there will be some volume drop. So what can I do?
by scottyo7 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:10 pm
One way is, once you've got all your drum notes set on the Instrument track, you can select 1, more or even all of them (based on your 'zoom' level). ;)
Then you can change/set the velocity level to the left in the Inspector.
I use Easy Drummer 2 and do this all the time. 8-)

Of course you can do this to ever how many notes you choose even as you build your song too.

There's many ways to change the velocity:

Pg 101 in manual:
"To edit the velocity of a note while drawing the note with the Paint tool, drag up and down after you click to draw the note. To edit the velocity of a single note, using the Paint tool, hold [Alt]/[Option] on the keyboard and click-and-drag up or down on the desired note."

Pg 102 in manual
"If you want to edit velocity for many notes at once, you'll find the Transform Tool very useful. Similar to the way the Transform Tool in Arrange view is"

You get the idea... :lol:

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by robertgray3 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:17 pm
scottyo7 wroteOne way is, once you've got all your drum notes set on the Instrument track, you can select 1, more or even all of them (based on your 'zoom' level). ;)
Then you can change/set the velocity level to the left in the Inspector.
I use Easy Drummer 2 and do this all the time. 8-)

Of course you can do this to ever how many notes you choose even as you build your song too.

There's many ways to change the velocity:

Pg 101 in manual:
"To edit the velocity of a note while drawing the note with the Paint tool, drag up and down after you click to draw the note. To edit the velocity of a single note, using the Paint tool, hold [Alt]/[Option] on the keyboard and click-and-drag up or down on the desired note."

Pg 102 in manual
"If you want to edit velocity for many notes at once, you'll find the Transform Tool very useful. Similar to the way the Transform Tool in Arrange view is"

You get the idea... :lol:

He said “in the Pattern Editor”. None of your advice applies.

No, you cannot change the default velocity in Patterns. Not for the audition velocity either, which is strangely different from the default pattern velocity.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by everipper on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:18 pm
Thank you. That is sad.
by Jemusic on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:13 pm
When I program drums in the piano roll eg create a part and then convert to pattern, I am not hearing any changes in velocity at all. Any extra notes that I add in in pattern mode seem to play at the same velocity as notes previously recorded in part mode.

Update: After checking this was because I was originally programming at mid velocities eg around 64 etc.. If you are hitting hard in part mode then in pattern mode the def velocity will be 64 which may be softer in some cases. I just fine tune velocity though right there and then.

A default velocity in pattern mode of say around 80 might be a good option. perhaps a FR?

But the process of adding/subtracting material to events in pattern mode, after being converted from part mode, can still be done.

The placement of the note and/or any new notes is the most important, then fine tune its velocity. In loop mode one can tweak velocities of all the notes for just one part. This is an area where some interesting dynamics can come into your programming with drum sounds and drum virtual instruments that are programmed to respond to velocity. When velocities start effecting more than one thing, eg volume and tone then realism can start to come into play.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by scottyo7 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:06 pm
thanks robert for being so critically corrective.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by snb1 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:27 am
everipper wroteIs there a way to change default velocity for pattern mode?
I often program my drums with mouse and I’m not often using pattern mode. But after programming some notes in piano roll I would like to switch to pattern mode. I see that default velocity for piano roll and pattern mode are not the same. So if I would continue to program in drum mode there will be some volume drop. So what can I do?

Use a default velocity setting of 60 in the piano roll.

Studio One Pro 6.6 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by anthonybrown4 on Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:47 pm
This works now. I set velocities in patterns using Studio One 5 Pro. Below the pattern editor, select icon for 'Show Automation Lanes'. Select Velocity. Select an instrument row (eg. snare) in the pattern to see and set the velocities for that instrument.

Attachments
201126a velocity in pattern.PNG
by sirmonkey on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:38 pm
My impression is that the OP wants to set a certain velocity to notes when they
are clicked on/painted in (as opposed to being played in with a midi controller,
in which case the velocities would be recorded).
I wondered this myself, and I just thought of a simple idea:
When you erase a note, and then fill it back in, the velocity will be what is was
before. So, you can just fill in a row, and set the velocities where you want them.
Then clear the lane. And voila, any new notes will have their new "default" value.

If this is not what you meant, hopefully it's useful anyways!

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by mirkokatzula on Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:31 pm
snb1 wroteUse a default velocity setting of 60 in the piano roll.

Thanks, this works!
by realto619 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:34 am
anthonybrown4 wroteThis works now. I set velocities in patterns using Studio One 5 Pro. Below the pattern editor, select icon for 'Show Automation Lanes'. Select Velocity. Select an instrument row (eg. snare) in the pattern to see and set the velocities for that instrument.

Thanks! I was looking for this frequently once I started using the Pattern editor just recently. Hiding it under a microscopic icon mysteriously labeled 'Show Automation Lanes' seems blatantly counter-intuitive to me... but hey! W T F do I know? :o :roll:
by realto619 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:40 am
Wow. You can't use the letters W T F grouped together? This is what that produces in a post when you use that => bleep :roll: That's both funny and sad simultaneously...

Ah! Maybe I should have gone with RTF(M)?

12 posts
Page 1 of 1