7 posts
Page 1 of 1
So, instead of clogging other threads with questions and answers about Console 1, I decided to start this thread...post your tips and ask your questions here! Someone will be able to help you for sure.

You'll know you're an old rock-n-roller when the only spandex in your pants is in the elastic waistband. :D

Studio One Professional 4.6.1
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
Audient iD44, TASCAM US16x08, Presonus 1810
FaderPort 8, Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
UAD PCIe Solo v9.11
Hairball Copper, DIYRE CP5, Sound Skulptor CP5176, Suhr Reactive Load
Lots of self-built tube amps, Carvin, Fender, G&L, Ibanez, PRS, Takamine guitars
by darrenporter1 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:55 am
If you have a great tip, post it and I will categorize them here. Try and keep them as short and simple as possible. :P

Setup Issues

I was frustrated at first that while in DAW mode, none of the integration that C1 is supposed to have with S1 worked at all. It turns out that the C1 installer installs BOTH the VST2 and VST3 versions of the plugin and for some reason (and you can't do a custom install), the one loaded by Studio One was the VST2 and not the VST3.... DAW mode only works with the VST3 plugin. The solution is simple... go into Studio One's Plugin Manager and "uncheck" the VST2 version of Console 1. Now the one displayed in the plugin lists will only be the VST3 version.

General Use

To simulate a "real analog console" I put C1 on every channel, bus, fx return and the Main mix bus. Yes, every single one. Thankfully C1 is very light on the CPU! Try and simulate real analog signal flow... for a regular channel, it should always go first with all other inserts following it. An exception might be if you are simulating tracking with a compressor... put the compressor (or any other hardware deivce) you would have "printed to tape" first, then C1, then others. Same goes for FX returns... real world is FX unit -> console. Do the same here (sample plugin order... Reverb, C1, the rest.) Other things to always put before C1 are things like tape emulation, mic preamp emulations...

You may find (as many other have already) that C1 saves you money in the long-run. Your lust for third-party plugins may dramatically wane. Many people use WAY fewer plugins in their mix, limiting their choices to surgical EQ and special effects. Lots of other plugins end up in the KVR Marketplace after C1 purchases!

Useful Macros

Add C1 to Selected Tracks
Command: Track|Add Insert to Selected Channels
Arguments: When the dialog pops-up, select: Device "Console 1" Preset "whatever you choose"
note: the preset must be saved via S1's preset scheme, NOT C1's.
note: unfortunately, this macro does not work on the Main mix bus for some reason
Last edited by darrenporter1 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

You'll know you're an old rock-n-roller when the only spandex in your pants is in the elastic waistband. :D

UAD PCIe Solo v9.11
Lots of self-built tube amps, Carvin, Fender, G&L, Ibanez, PRS, Takamine guitars
by darrenporter1 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:58 am
In another thread, Blades asked....

So - it would be a lot easier if you could select a number of channels at once and switch between the emulations. Is there a way to do this with more than one channel at once? From what I've found so far, you have to do this one channel at a time.

Thoughts?

Yes, look at "Copy Track Settings" in Chapter 4 of the Console 1 User Manual. It's pretty easy.

UAD PCIe Solo v9.11
by Blades on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:59 am
I slept and then figured this out - at least one way, where I think the Copy settings way would actually copy not just the Strip emulation, but also all of the parameters assigned in the source track, and I think you could create a temporary group to do this if you only want several but not all tracks - so for anyone looking later:

Hold Shift, Press and HOLD the ALL button (you will see all of your Console 1 tracks light up their LEDs), then while holding ALL, press Shift-1 to get to strip mode, select the strip you want and press OK - then you can release the ALL button. Done.

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit.
by brent mosher on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:16 pm
I have a few Softube products. I use the TubeTech channel strip on most of my vocals and acoustic instruments.

When looking at the Console, I have to wonder what the advantage is if you regularly want to use other effects? If all you mostly did was add compression, eq and transients then I can see how limiting yourself to a few quality products in a well-designed system like Console would be advantageous and limit the desire for further purchases.

But as I'm also invested in the NI ecosystem (and Spectrasonics, whose instruments are their own little world unto themselves with all the available effects they contain) and quite like using their more creative effects. Softube tends to do mostly recreations of standard effects from the past. NI is "the future of sound" as they like to say...and it isn't purely empty PR. For example I use Replika a lot. Both as a standard delay and as a creative effect.

As much as I like the idea of what Softube has done, and have no doubts about the quality of their effects, I keep thinking that I will continue to want to use so many effects outside of Console 1, so what's the point? NI and others will continue to release creative effects that Softube has no equivalent to, and based on their history, never intend to develop.

So...Console is a product I really like the idea of. I just can't get past the idea that it's a lot of money to spend on something that won't actually be the magic bullet i hope it will be.

Am I wrong?
by darrenporter1 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:38 pm
People like me who learned on old analog consoles and dislike being tethered to a mouse love what the integration Console 1, FaderPort 8/16 and Studio One brings to the table... It's the next best thing compared to a gigantic analog console paired with your DAW.

What you say is certainly valid, but it's a whole lot more about workflow and the fact that the effects are outstanding is a bonus. If you have effects that you just can't seem to tear yourself away from and C1 just duplicates those, and you don't mind the "keyboard and mouse" control method then yeah, I would agree it's not for you and you really aren't missing anything at all. :+1

UAD PCIe Solo v9.11
by Blades on Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:49 pm
Hey all,

I did a blog post you might be interested in that compares emulations of the SSL 4000e console to a British Class A console (Neve) emulation using the Softube Console 1 and the Pearl Mimic Pro.

It shows the difference between these two emulations.  In my case, this is with Studio One, but the Console 1 can be used with any DAW.  Some have more support an features than others, but the sound and workflow from one to another are the same.  This is a great example of how the Mimic can be used in a home studio scenario.

https://www.blades.technology/music/daw ... sh-class-a

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1