19 posts
Page 1 of 1
this was solved, finally, some years later (here in 2023 on the first try) by upgrading to a 12 core Ryzen 3900 (I had been on an 8 core Ryzen 1700. 8 cores, in windows 10 not enough, I think perhaps Windows 11, with AHCI is also better for music making. Literally never ever happened since getting the new desktop with all the extra USB ports, and extra cores. I would recommend the trifect, including Win 11 with AHCI.
Last edited by jebbyslonar on Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Look up what I'm doing today on my Bitchute channel "Wind Whispering Through The Trees"
Not always SFW not always NSFW Usually music though
by Bbd on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:37 am
You did not provide your specs as we always like to see.
For your issue, please contact Support.
Thanks.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by jebbyslonar on Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:23 pm
8 core ryzen 7 1700 computer
32 GB RAM
Windows 10
Studio One, 4

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Look up what I'm doing today on my Bitchute channel "Wind Whispering Through The Trees"
by scottyo7 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:20 pm
While you're waiting for more specific support, this previous post may help you understand a bit more about system resources. :roll:

The thing that jumps out at me is that it seemed you said you're 'streaming'.
Either you're recording while streaming or just doing playback of the tracks?

Either way, using Ethernet or WiFi while simultaneously running Studio One seems like a 'no-no'. All Audio optimization guides I've seen/read say to turn off WiFi and your NIC while running your DAW.

If I'm off tangent here, please forgive me for having you read this. 8-)

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by robertgray3 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:36 pm
scottyo7 wroteusing Ethernet or WiFi while simultaneously running Studio One seems like a 'no-no'

I've done video conferences and stuff while working in my DAW all the time. Works OK, as well as streaming does these days I guess. It makes it harder to troubleshoot the RAM leak but the solution doesn't have to be "never stream ever."

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by jebbyslonar on Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:32 pm
Pro Tools rose from 16 or 17 % to 22 or so.. Today. I was meaning to go for a similar test run and a 74 minute record. It couldn't happen cause every little thing I had to do in Pro Tools required a stop and start of the recording. Like, Pro Tools required a stop of the play for changing track visibility and bringing up a different memory location. And Pro Tools required stop of the play for introducing new plugins to the session. Nothing like Studio One.
Well I got the Pro Tools set up and tomorrow or soon I will do the comparison over the similar 75 minute stretch.

I continue to stream. It is no no no. It is just a different world now than in the earlier times. Things are much different. I have no issues whatsoever with uploading the 6-8 MB of a 2500 kbps video stream and 192-320 kbps audio to the network (I stack the graphics up and stream from the other computer to the internet).

With an AMD computer anything is possible. My i7 still staggers under just a few graphics being thrown at it but the AMD doesn't blink no matter what I throw on a session.

I will check your post about RAM but I doubt there is anyone with any info about the current thing I've been dealing with. It used 10-11 GB when I had 16 GB RAM, now it uses 20 as I have 32. Just hogging all the ram...just for MIDI only recordings. Makes no sense to me. The photos I showed via the Google Drive link indicate that it is Studio One using the 20 GB and not something like OBS.

Even If I used all 10 fingers to record poly aftertouch say, half the time, MIDI alone shouldn't push it much above 1 solitary GB.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by jebbyslonar on Sat May 01, 2021 4:14 pm
I believe I have finally located the problem. I recently picked up on using S1 again after about a year of non use, at least 8 or 9 months using other daws.

Also Recently I found a massive 13 GB hiberfil file in my c drive. I used a registry change to stop Windows creating the hiberfil, and a command to turn off hiberfil while in safe mode. The key trick is to run the command in safe mode. The Reg Edit you can do while running Windows normally. There.

I attribute my recent absolute success to my removing that hiberfil successfully. I have attatched a picture of the detail how to remove the hiberfil in case anyone else is seeing swap (you can see this in the default rainmeter skin that comes with Rainmeter) going above 85 to 90 or so, evidenced by massive freezing of Studio One at the end of a 1 hour recording of many midi tracks. (this is what I was doing, MIDI mostly but the program would stall for 1 to 5 minutes at the end of the long recording and I would have to wait. (Reading above it says a half hour to resolve...I had forgotten it took sooo long, but I must have been stating my observations of the time)

Now my swap stays in the mid 20s percent wise, even on those long sessions an hour or more.
Still doing everything else the same as I was before still use network, still using 2 interfaces on the computer, many midi devices. Etc. Now using the most recent Studio One.

Still can only guess that this hiberfil was what the problem was, since I am now using more updated Windows probably, and also more updated Studio One. Even possibly a smaller session, though I have not experienced any swelling of that SWAP (again anyone who wants to see "SWAP" should get rainmeter and install just the default skin that it comes up with the first time you use it) Not a well controlled experiment but it is completely ok with me because that studio one just works a lot smoother than it was a year or more ago.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by jebbyslonar on Thu May 20, 2021 6:49 am
a week or 2 later. Just can't say it's been great. Still experiencing problems, but now instead of getting to the end and freezing for a half hour, it is just freezing forever and never coming back so I now gotta just task manager it.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by Vocalpoint on Fri May 21, 2021 3:41 pm
jebbyslonar wrotea week or 2 later. Just can't say it's been great. Still experiencing problems, but now instead of getting to the end and freezing for a half hour, it is just freezing forever and never coming back so I now gotta just task manager it.

Took a look at a few of your screencaps from 2020 - to me - it's looks as if your RAM is completely exhausted and hence a lockup etc.

Regardless of machine, CPU (Ryzen) or power - if you let a herd of VSTi's run rampant - they will use all the RAM - and this has little to do with S1.

Would love to see what "7 MIDI controllers" you are running and what VSTis are connected to them to get a sense of where all the memory is going. And don't let Task Manager make you think it's all S1 stealing the RAM - I believe all the processes (like say Kontakt with a larger library or two) appear as being part of the S1 memory footprint under Task Manager - when in actual fact it's Kontakt taking as much memory as it can.

You need to get specific about how many tracks you have, what's on them and what VSTis are actually in use here. Any song with 20 or 30 or 40 tracks full of VSTi's is going to have some resource issues - eventually.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by jebbyslonar on Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:28 am
Vocalpoint wrote
You need to get specific about how many tracks you have, what's on them and what VSTis are actually in use here. Any song with 20 or 30 or 40 tracks full of VSTi's is going to have some resource issues - eventually.

VP

I have got kontakt installed but i haven't used it in a while. It's definitely not in these sessions. On the other hand I have got a lot of midi controllers and they have aftertouch which has a lot of points of midi. Also recording some CC MIDI from some. Now I am getting quite a few BSODs, lately. Also running OBS of course, and 3 interfaces now instead of the 2 from before as I've over the weekend attached my Audiobox 96 (2 in 2 out lowest minimal interface from the Presonus line) Of course I'm only using 1 interface for audio (no ASIO4All) and the other 2 are just MIDI ins or outs. It's probably the resources, but still My rainmeter skin lists Swap around 50% and I did ditch that hyberfil file. It's a pain to lose the sessions. Not a huge deal, a half hour I have always got the audio and session recording from the OBS in the network attached computer. I use a few VSTs, One thing I have noticed is that it seems to be the (synergy program derived) network mouse that causes problems. I have a video where I can see myself cutting back across the divide and the swap on the computer with Studio One goes cut in half when the mouse lands on the other computer with a click. Also I have had the BSOD directly on mousing into the other computer after STOPPING the recording while it is still finishing (during the freeze). The mouse lands in the other computer and BANG a BSOD in the Ryzen ASUS. But this is possibly a coincidence as there are times when I don't do it with the mouse (like today) and still get a sudden BSOD shortly after the freeze sets in.

I have to save more often, less than a half hour, or it will BSOD, this is just the last few weeks. Using a few Presonus reverb plugins and 7 or 8 from other sources are the FX I guess I should try to cut back but it's just a sound I made about a week ago anyways, and only 3 tracks of interface input external audio (which is 5 total tracks, 1x mono + 2x stereo) but more than 10 tracks of MIDI. 4 VSTis I used during today's BSOD were black noh snare and Dark VX Bass Drum (both by same maker KVR chokehold), and 7 FX on 2 seperate percussion/hats (both from Beatstep Pro sequences) (BSP Channel 2 and 10)) are both Eight Voice from Cherry Audio x2 But I did not record those 4 vsts as any audio only just the midi. Mosts of these plugins are visible in one pane on the MIX and it shows over 10 plugins. I will put a screenshot there's nothing off screen vst-wise.

Attachments
Screenshot (456).png

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by robertgray3 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:46 am
This is simpler to solve than you're making it. Every time I had a plugin doing this it was just a case of opening Task Manager and removing plugins/instruments/devices one at a time until I saw all the RAM get freed up. If the RAM *doesn't* get freed up then usually closing the program will freeze or crash. On macOS we can do a spindump to show why a program is freezing or look at the crash report and usually in one of those two it will show what isn't giving up the memory. I think Windows has an equivalent but it's a little more complicated, same principle though.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by jebbyslonar on Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:30 am
I don't have the Mac. I can't solve this problem. It happened again today. I was able to record an early 27 minute live recording then the 2nd recording stopped and BSOD. I don't see anyplace in taskmanager for plugins. Sounds like something you might find in Studio One..IF s1 wasn't frozen.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by jebbyslonar on Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:33 am
Ok, I just did another recording in the same session as that earlier I had the BSOD on, and this time, after a 10 minute recording, I did a 15 minute recording, and both stopped well instantly with no freeze.
Only 2 things different one is I was still here on the internet after my last post less than an hour ago, the other being that after the earlier recording of over 20 minutes, and BSOD, I went in safe mode and ran device cleanup, which completely removed every device on my system (not in use by safe mode, obviously). That may be what got me back to the pleasant state of full stop on a dime after recording.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by jebbyslonar on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:12 am
Reminder to remove all devices in safe mode with device cleanup, as it (recording) worked again yesterday to record over 20 minutes and full stop after about 5 second count from pushing the stop button to green and red lights going off and blue square lighting showing the recording was resolved. Seems like the thing to do at this time is to delete those devices in safe mode. Just select all then delete. Yesterday's record was on the same cycle so to speak after the initial remove of devices I mentioned 2-3 days ago. Perhaps something that needs to be done when it starts acting up, but not before then.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by jebbyslonar on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:35 am
After this much time about 2 weeks now, yesterday upon recording a 20 minute recording, it went almost a full 30 seconds before resolving and blue stop button light coming on after pushing stop to end the 20 minute recording. Recording basically the same amount of tracks + or - an external instrument recording in every case, this time having selected a track and moved it from a lower slot to an upper one in the sequence. That could be the reason for the 20 extra seconds to get from Green+Red Record play lights to the Blue stop light. Thinking it is time to do the device delete again.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by jebbyslonar on Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:08 am
2 weeks more of testing I do a recording session every day almost, and I got up to a 56 minute session 2 days ago. This did not BSOD, and resolved after a half minute to a minute, which I thought was too long. I had deleted devices as stated in the previous post, so it looks like I did several sessions without deleting devices, and had no problems stopping the recordings. Working from same template in all. Was up to a recording of 40 minutes, a few of 30 minutes, several 20 minutes and finally this 56 minute recording, all since that most recent device delete in safe mode I mentioned in my previous post.

The USB device deletinon has caused more problems, almost than it's worth, it would be good if there was a way around this problem without it, but it's good it works. The other things that get deleted are things such as USB Devices, which you should remember afterwards to go in device manager and re disable windows power management setting which is a real nuisance (anyone who works in AUDIO in Windows for any amount of time knows about Windows stupid and unchangable POWER MANAGEMENT, an UTTERLY USELESS function that keeps turning on no matter what you set your POWER PLAN to do, and ALSO keeps turning on despite REMOVAL of BATTERY from a laptop, which begs the question "WHY would I want to SHUT OFF MY OWN USB DEVICE MID SESSION by DEFAULT?"). I have had MIDI devices shut off mid recording which often causes problems with Presonus Studio One software freezing. You will also have to rediscover all audio ins and outs in OBS, and any USB cameras there after a device delete.

Haven't done any testing to see what device is causing a build up in what I will call the Studio 1 cache because I can't say why it's happening any other way. It could be an incorrect term but that's what it acts like a real big cache. it's a pretty long list. I guess I would start with interfaces and MIDI but who knows which device is causing it. Suffice to say that you will have to redo your settings for Power Management of USB devices, and also input any wifi password again (deleted network device) Aside from those problems it's an ok solution. Pretty much not having a BSOD outweighs a few things to re enable or redefine every 12 days or so.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
by Vocalpoint on Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:48 am
jebbyslonar wrote2 weeks more of testing I do a recording session every day almost, and I got up to a 56 minute session 2 days ago. This did not BSOD, and resolved after a half minute to a minute, which I thought was too long.

Must admit - have been keeping this thread in my scope for about a month now - and I still do not know what exactly the issue is. Is it constant BSOD? Is it S1 dying after 50+ minutes of recording? Is it too many MIDI devices? If you could boil this down to one sentence it would help.

For the record - and to ensure clarity is paramount - if you ever see a BSOD in WIndows - it is 100% guaranteed - with zero exceptions - to be a hardware issue.

Every BSOD will post a problematic (but very often) cryptic message when a BSOD occurs. All BSOD's are recorded to mini dump files and all can be examined with tools like BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Suggest you download this small tool and examine all the mini dump files that have been created since this thing started for you and see what it tells you.

In all my experience - all BSODs I have encountered have a logically and traceable hardware specific driver that is interacting with the OS in a negative fashion. It is never the fault of the source application (like Studio One).

Now - S1 may very well be calling this idiotic driver within your sessions - simply because this device driver needs a very specific action to occur before it then interacts with Windows and sets off the BSOD.

But do not blame S1 - it is simply the messenger here for (what I believe) is a much lower level issue occurring with some driver component on your machine.

For further fun and games - and trust me - this one was truly bizarre - a few years ago just when I switched from Win 7 to Win 10 - I suddenly started getting a crap load of BSODs (on my DAW) that naturally I blamed on the apps in use or the hardware on the machine - it took me about 5 days to analyze this and I still could not come up with the actual issue.

After some super obscure last resource digging - it turned out to be the power supply of the actual PC that needed replacing. Once a new one was brought in - have not a had even the hint of a problem.

The bottom line - EVERYTHING is in play when dealing with weird BSODs. It is never obvious and in all cases I have ever seen - it's a 99.99% certainty that your issue lies elsewhere - far away from S1.

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by PreAl on Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:21 am
Indeed. What exactly is the BSOD error message, and what is happening within the windows event viewer?

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by jebbyslonar on Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:27 am
Vocalpoint wrote
jebbyslonar wrote2 weeks more of testing I do a recording session every day almost, and I got up to a 56 minute session 2 days ago. This did not BSOD, and resolved after a half minute to a minute, which I thought was too long.

Must admit - have been keeping this thread in my scope for about a month now - and I still do not know what exactly the issue is. Is it constant BSOD? Is it S1 dying after 50+ minutes of recording? Is it too many MIDI devices? If you could boil this down to one sentence it would help.

After some super obscure last resource digging - it turned out to be the power supply of the actual PC that needed replacing. Once a new one was brought in - have not a had even the hint of a problem.

The bottom line - EVERYTHING is in play when dealing with weird BSODs. It is never obvious and in all cases I have ever seen - it's a 99.99% certainty that your issue lies elsewhere - far away from S1.

Cheers

VP

in the end I got more ram for the computer. Now I am using a better and bigger computer, and not a laptop anymore. I was doing more with the old one, because I had been doing this sourdough thing with the templates and sessions. Not sure if that is really advisable but I did it for years anyway. The things just got real big with midi routing like spaghetti. But I had it under control. In the end I located a specific 32GB ram for that specific computer, and that seemed to help some...until I upgraded to a 2 presonus interface (16 ins using ADAT over optical cable on an 1824 and 1810 c type studio interfaces) setup. The new setup works well with the new computer. Have not had any BSOD, but then my sessions haven't been that extensive yet. I was using 30 GB of ram and more in the end, and still occasional BSODs usually looking at the event viewers I would see that the computer ran out of RAM. I still do not know why it would use all the ram except that I might be recording 10 tracks of Audio for 1 hour before the BSOD would happen. I guess that is what did it. Also all that Poly aftertouch from the xkey keyboards, which there are 2 for 61 keys total. And of course all the other midi keyboards. It is usually pretty decent music not exactly what I'd call black midi. There is much of it located on the Bitchute platform my account there is called "Wind Whispering through the Trees". The new stuff I have some drums. Thinking about getting into making short songs which I haven't done in 20 years. ...of course now that I have a 12 core Ryzen and could handle a lot more.

See when I switched to the 2 Presonus interfaces, I began to experience staggering in the stream of video and audio coming out of the computer with my massive sessions and sending video over the network to record on another computer. The recording in OBS, don't know if I mentioned that...it is also taking place simultaneously as the large 30GB or RAM sessions (2020-2023). If you want to see what this sort of thing looked like, you can see the staggering video on the final live recording from that computer at https://www.bitchute.com/video/JHSY1rDa4NlF/

In that video the computer had video encoding problems (i gotta blame the heavy load on the USBs, the 2 Roland "Interface" varietys are both running into VBAN and from there out to the 1824 and the 1824 and 1810 are both connected) and you could see the video freezing throughout you see the oscilloscope depicting the Prophet audio freezing every 10 seconds at least which ruined the output video wise which I usually relied on during this era as my media output. though I went back in and mixed the audio and edited the video with the mp3, so I could get it in there sounding good. The comments there are by me, about my extensive panopoly of such things I have done over the years. This is the last ever live stream (to my own network) recording ever on that good Asus Ryzen 1700 for the reason that I now have bought a ASUS Ryzen 3900 series with 12 cores. So far have yet to push it above 3% cpu. More to come... Thanks for your great comment, man.

19 posts
Page 1 of 1