5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I have recently purchased a set of Roland V-drums TD1-DMK and EZDrummer 2.

The plan was to use the drum kit as a midi controller, using EZdrummer VST with a multi output configuration allowing me to multi-track the drums. I have tried to connect the drums as an instrument, a keyboard and a control surface. None of these have Ezdrummer triggering.

I have the instrument connected on midi channel 10 (as per the instructions) and still no hits on the drums are being registered inside EZdrummer.

I don't have an issue performing the same operation in Cakewalk. I simply plug in the drums, drag and drop Ezdrummer to a channel, assign the outputs I require and bish, bash, bosh I have a drum kit with multiple outputs to track. The drum kit that comes with Cakewalk in the instrument bundle works fine as a kit and dropped in as a VST. Hi-hat corresponds to hi-hat etc.

What I can't get is my kit, on a track, with ezdrummer being controlled by it and working in Studio one.

Specs that matter:-

Studio One Professional V4.6.1.55
    Studio 192 USB 3.0
    Windows 10 x64 build 1903
    i9-9900k
    32GB RAM
    500GB NVME boot drive
    Roland TD1-DMK (factory default settings)
    Presonus Atom
    Faderport 16
    Editors Keys keyboard

I have checked a few videos and I have had no luck there as the information is outdated in some cases.

Many thanks for reading.
Last edited by aka_busker on Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by darrenporter1 on Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:26 pm
Are you sure you have input monitoring for the EZDrummer channel turned on? It's also properly assigned to a bus?

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by aka_busker on Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:44 pm
darrenporter1 wroteAre you sure you have input monitoring for the EZDrummer channel turned on? It's also properly assigned to a bus?

Thanks for getting back to me, and your suggestion.

I have now remedied the situation. I removed the device and reconnected it. I think it's connected as a "keyboard" not an "instrument" this time.

I have also removed the atom from the same midi channel.

Anyway, it's sorted now and I am tracking some drums. Silently. :D

For some reason it was easier to get going with Cakewalk. But S1 is what I know.

Again, thanks for your input.
by shanabit on Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 pm
aka_busker wroteI have now remedied the situation. I removed the device and reconnected it. I think it's connected as a "keyboard" not an "instrument" this time.

1. S1 calls wants to call our E Kits, NEW KEYBOARD, thats how it is setup (Makes ZERO sense, should have just called everything Controller Device or something)
Thats why Cakewalk was easier to you

2. You do INSTRUMENT when you are sending MIDI back out to a hardware synth, E kit to play its internal sounds.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by aka_busker on Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:31 pm
shanabit wrote
aka_busker wroteI have now remedied the situation. I removed the device and reconnected it. I think it's connected as a "keyboard" not an "instrument" this time.

1. S1 calls wants to call our E Kits, NEW KEYBOARD, thats how it is setup (Makes ZERO sense, should have just called everything Controller Device or something)
Thats why Cakewalk was easier to you

2. You do INSTRUMENT when you are sending MIDI back out to a hardware synth, E kit to play its internal sounds.

1) Yeah, I am thinking of a feature request to get better support for Vdrums. Been using S1 for years and built my studio around Presonus hardware. I only have Cakewalk cos it's free and it's got surround. In EZDrummer its a matter of a drop down menu and selecting the manufacturer.

Side note - it feels especially silly when the atom defaults to a "drum mode" when installed.

2) This module only has one way midi - midi send only. I only need it to fire the drums inside S1 when I want to track EZdrummer. I am going to try an audio connection (line level to audio unit) to capture the sounds of the module - but the only one worth recording so far is the 808 patch.

Thanks for helping out.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1