9 posts
Page 1 of 1
[Edited to add complete list of FX plugins.]

I've used Studio One very lightly over the past couple months, but started a simple project just after installing the 4.6.1 update. Now I experience lockups on every session. There's so frequent, I haven't had the opportunity for a clean shutdown since starting this project.

* The project is a simple comparison of drum mic placements, so just a few Gates, ProEQ, Compressor, Mixtools, Dual Pan, Binaural Pan, and Room Reverb (set to Quality). PreSonus FX only, no third party plugins in use.
* While working with the project, the transport freezes. It can happen during recording or playback, as soon as I press play or record, or during the playback/recording. It may be the first time I play or record, or up to 15 minutes later.
* At this point, much of the GUI is still responsive. For example, I can press stop, move the Now time, and save. However, subsequent attempts to play or record always freeze.
* In this state, Studio One cannot close gracefully. When I try to close, the GUI becomes unresponsive. Task Manager shows the app consuming 100% of one CPU. I've left it in this state for tens of minutes and it never exits.
* The only way to close Studio One in this state is to End Task in Task Manager. I can then reopen it and start the process again.

Since I wasn't using Studio One much over the holidays, I can't say that the 4.6.1 update specifically caused this behavior. There's probably been a Windows update or two since I used the app daily. I do know that the audio drivers (for Delta 1010) haven't changed.

Looking over the various 4.6.1 threads, I don't see anyone similar experiences. So I'd appreciate some advice on next steps for diagnosis to avoid just flailing. Thanks!
Last edited by erichaarbauer on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows 11 Pro
64GB RAM, Intel Core i9 10850K
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Quantum 2626, 2m StarTech TB cable
by robertgray3 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:03 pm
The only time I had this happen it was something involving my interface, does it do this when you use Built In Output or a different interface?

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Bbd on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:19 pm
Like we say for almost everyone that posts without giving their specs, please give us your specs.

Can you start a new song, add a couple of tracks with the plugs you named and see if it happens again?
We are looking for step by step instructions to see if your issue can be reproduced.
Thanks much.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by erichaarbauer on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:35 pm
Specs now in signature.

I'll try creating a duplicate project. That suggestion reminded me that the project in question was originally created with an older Studio One version, whatever was current in late 2017. It was just a scratch project, and no content remains from the previous version. So a new project will differ in this respect.

BTW, changing the Room Reverb to Perform had no effect. Freezes still occur.

Windows 11 Pro
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
by Robert Johnson III on Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:45 pm
Exactly the same here (MAC) with an older project I'm "reworking" in 4.6.1... I'm guessing it's an incompatibility issue regarding older projects and 4.6.1 At the moment no idea if this also will manifest itself in a new 4.6.1 project.

MacMini M2 Pro
Memory: 16 GB
OS X latest version
Apollo X6 Thunderbolt
Studio One Pro latest version

https://open.spotify.com/album/5DQ0uQnTPGAQH4rmaNboE8?si=DH54HeplSO2hVxPFLmUVNQ
by erichaarbauer on Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:31 pm
I recreated the project from scratch in 4.6.1, and no freezes so far. I had only had a couple hours at it, but this was the first time in a month I've been able to work through a complete session and do a clean save and exit. So it's too early for me to render a verdict, but at the moment, I'm leaning towards an issue with upgraded songs originally created in an earlier version--at least whatever was current in late 2017.

Windows 11 Pro
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
by chrismarshall2 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:27 am
I had a similar issue earlier this week that I initially thought was the same 'other 4.6' problem. However, turned out to be a corrupted instance of Omnisphere. Try editing the advanced S1 settings and remove the VST 2.4 setting. Open your file and see if it still gives problems. If not, then re-enable and start switching off the VSTi/VST in batches.

The only question remaining for me though is how that insert got corrupted in the first place. Personally, I've had more crashes/freezes etc with 4.6.x since December than in the entire previous two years with S1.

Wood

Windows 10 (1909), i9 9900k, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface Pro, S1 Pro 4.6
by Robert Johnson III on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:29 pm
Hope it works out... Keep us posted Eric

MacMini M2 Pro
Memory: 16 GB
OS X latest version
Apollo X6 Thunderbolt
Studio One Pro latest version

https://open.spotify.com/album/5DQ0uQnTPGAQH4rmaNboE8?si=DH54HeplSO2hVxPFLmUVNQ
by paulmellard on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:23 pm
Same here also had issues with ujam being super glitchy thinking about upgrading to 5.2 but skeptical about stability.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1