18 posts
Page 1 of 1
Thought I would post this as recently I upgraded my CPU but was still seeing high spikes. While checking the task manager I saw 2 programs that were causing issues.

1: Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
Fix: https://geeksadvice.com/fix-microsoft-c ... -cpu-usage

2: Chrome Software Reporter Tool
Fix: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/20/how-t ... r_tool-exe

Since addressing these issues I no longer get CPU spikes. Might be useful for some on Win 10 and Chrome browser users.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64
    ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING
    AMD Ryzen 2700 8 Core
    16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
    Zoom UAC-8 Audio Interface
    Studio One 4.6.1 Pro
    Notion 6
    Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime

[ YouTube ] [ Rasuresphere Omnisphere Library ] [ 10% Off Waves ]
by Trucky on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:02 am
Thanks for sharing.

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1909), Studio One 4.6.1 Pro | Notion 6.5 | Universal Control v.3.2.0.56558
Dell Inspiron 17 5770 (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8 GHz, 4GB AMD Radeon 530 Graphics, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
StudioLive Series III 32 V2.2.0.16741
by Vocalpoint on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:11 pm
markrobotham wrote2: Chrome Software Reporter Tool

I got so annoyed with the Software Reporter that I simply got rid of Chrome and moved over to Brave.

Despite a lot of so called help threads out there (Including the linked ghacks.net link) - this tool cannot be disabled - at least without having first hand insider knowledge from Google. No amount of blocking it will actually block it as it will come back after the next update.

It is a real CPU killer.

VP
by themaartian on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:38 pm
Any chance MS' new Chromium-based Edge does NOT do this?

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio SpectraLayers Pro 4 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP, OD Toontrack SD3, EZKeys
by Vocalpoint on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:47 pm
themaartian wroteAny chance MS' new Chromium-based Edge does NOT do this?

Yes - it's all good. The software reporter tool is Google only.

But the Chromium Edge is not quite ready for prime time (It's close tho)

Brave was a dream to set up and use. I moved over instantly and it grabbed all my Chrome profile stuff.

VP
by scottyo7 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:59 pm
I use Mozilla Firefox... and Mozilla Thunderbird for my email. 8-)

However I do have Chrome installed for when I'm doing deep research.
I guess I better rethink that. :roll:

If you've not already done so... Please add your Signature & Gear Spec's to your Profile Here.
ASUS Laptop, i7 3820QM; 16GB; 2 Samsung 840 SSD's; NVIDIA GTX 670MX; Win 8.1.
S1 Pro 4.6.1; EZD2 2.1.8. Behringer UMC404HD USB A/I.
Synths: Alchemy, Air Tech Music Suite. Melodyne Studio 4.2.4. Ozone 5, (all 64bit).
Akai MPK249. 6 guitars. Scuffham S-Gear, Eleven Rack, two Line 6 POD's & an E-bow.
Fluid Audio FX8 monitors; Dual 28" Displays. Rode NT1; SM58. Faderport;

-My Band: "2GUYZINABASEMENT"
-Just Me
by jggiano on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:18 pm
Thanks for sharing the link(s)!

Windows 10
StudioOne 4 Pro
Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL
Korg Krome 61
Ensoniq MR61
Korg MicroStation
Akai MPK mini
by themaartian on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:53 pm
I'm going to give Brave a try, since there's also an Android version. If it doesn't work with Roboform, it'll be an immediate uninstall.

by scottyo7 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:22 pm
I tried Brave about a year ago and didn't care for it.
Wasn't intuitive enough for me compared to FF & Chrome.
I'll check back for more posts... maybe it's better now? :roll:

If you've not already done so... Please add your Signature & Gear Spec's to your Profile Here.
ASUS Laptop, i7 3820QM; 16GB; 2 Samsung 840 SSD's; NVIDIA GTX 670MX; Win 8.1.
S1 Pro 4.6.1; EZD2 2.1.8. Behringer UMC404HD USB A/I.
Synths: Alchemy, Air Tech Music Suite. Melodyne Studio 4.2.4. Ozone 5, (all 64bit).
Akai MPK249. 6 guitars. Scuffham S-Gear, Eleven Rack, two Line 6 POD's & an E-bow.
Fluid Audio FX8 monitors; Dual 28" Displays. Rode NT1; SM58. Faderport;

-My Band: "2GUYZINABASEMENT"
-Just Me
by markrobotham on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:11 pm
Vocalpoint wrote
markrobotham wrote2: Chrome Software Reporter Tool

I got so annoyed with the Software Reporter that I simply got rid of Chrome and moved over to Brave.

Despite a lot of so called help threads out there (Including the linked ghacks.net link) - this tool cannot be disabled - at least without having first hand insider knowledge from Google. No amount of blocking it will actually block it as it will come back after the next update.

It is a real CPU killer.

VP

If you use CCleaner you can add the path in options to the whole folder and remove it when you clean C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEt\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter\

It can be disabled, I've done it, as described in the link. It only comes back if you update the browser. If you do decide to update then simply redo the steps, or even easier use CCleaner to add it in the includes section in options. Job done.

I`m glad I found both these, no more CPU spikes, its the last thing you need especially when using heavy projects in Studio One :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64
    ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING
    AMD Ryzen 2700 8 Core
    16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
    Zoom UAC-8 Audio Interface
    Studio One 4.6.1 Pro
    Notion 6
    Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime

[ YouTube ] [ Rasuresphere Omnisphere Library ] [ 10% Off Waves ]
by Vocalpoint on Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:27 am
markrobotham wrote If you use CCleaner you can add the path in options to the whole folder and remove it when you clean C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEt\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter\

It can be disabled, I've done it, as described in the link. It only comes back if you update the browser. If you do decide to update then simply redo the steps, or even easier use CCleaner to add it in the includes section in options. Job done.

ccCleaner is owned by Avast. You should probably think about getting rid of that too...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/avast-win ... -concerns/

Between using Chrome AND cCleaner - I would say you are about as privacy compromised as it gets - but maybe you are OK with that? If so carry on.

I on the other hand - care deeply about what data I share - hence no cCleaner and definitely no Chrome.

And as far as Software Reporter goes - Chrome updates itself constantly - you cannot really stop it and that would mean doing this "removal" bit over and over - forever. Why anyone would want to do that is a bit confusing to me - it's vastly easier to just get rid of the problem.

VP
by Vocalpoint on Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:37 am
scottyo7 wroteI tried Brave about a year ago and didn't care for it. Wasn't intuitive enough for me compared to FF & Chrome. I'll check back for more posts... maybe it's better now? :roll:

Well - not sure what it was like a year ago - but it took me about 5 minutes to make the move. It's Chromium based so works identical to Chrome. All my extensions are perfect, memory usage is great - but where it really shines is speed. Blocking all ad tracking and having a built in ad blocker will do that for you. My privacy concerns now are pretty much non-existant.

Best move I have made in a while.

VP
by PreAl on Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:26 pm
scottyo7 wroteI use Mozilla Firefox... and Mozilla Thunderbird for my email. 8-)

Deep research?
Underwater?

Studio One Pro 4, Faderport 1, Atom, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).

Intel i9 9900K, 32GB RAM,
EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers). A bigly amount of other gear.
by garybowling on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:18 am
One tip for studio machines and anything you want to keep clean.

What I like to do is NOT install apps!!

So if you don't install apps, how do you "surf, email, documents, etc." on your studio machine??

ANSWER - Portableapps

For chrome, firefox, thunderbird, libreoffice, etc. etc. etc. It's much better to run portableapps from https://portableapps.com

Portable apps DO NOT install anything in your registry, or anything in your "program files" directory, or anything at all. In fact, you can install them all on a USB key and insert that and run them when you want or take it out when you want.

Alternatively, what I do is install them all in a directory in your documents folder on your hard drive.

If you install the portableapps platform, you'll have an easy/convenient way to launch them and to keep them updated. I just put a shortcut to the portable apps platform in my launch bar.

This all keeps your PC clean and without bloat for when you're running Studio One or other audio apps.

It also allows you to be "portable" which is the whole point. If you want to take your web browsing, email, documents, etc. with you. Just install portableapps on your USB key and take that with you. You can insert it into any machine and instantly have access to all your "stuff" and when you remove the USB key.. It's all gone! It leaves nothing behind!!

gabo

Sager laptop, 32G, 1TB SSD, Win10-64, RME UFX, Studio One Pro 4, Addictive Drums, Izotope O9, Melodyne Studio, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by PreAl on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:52 am
garybowling wroteOne tip for studio machines and anything you want to keep clean.

What I like to do is NOT install apps!!

So if you don't install apps, how do you "surf, email, documents, etc." on your studio machine??

ANSWER - Portableapps

For chrome, firefox, thunderbird, libreoffice, etc. etc. etc. It's much better to run portableapps from https://portableapps.com

Portable apps DO NOT install anything in your registry, or anything in your "program files" directory, or anything at all. In fact, you can install them all on a USB key and insert that and run them when you want or take it out when you want.

Alternatively, what I do is install them all in a directory in your documents folder on your hard drive.

If you install the portableapps platform, you'll have an easy/convenient way to launch them and to keep them updated. I just put a shortcut to the portable apps platform in my launch bar.

This all keeps your PC clean and without bloat for when you're running Studio One or other audio apps.

It also allows you to be "portable" which is the whole point. If you want to take your web browsing, email, documents, etc. with you. Just install portableapps on your USB key and take that with you. You can insert it into any machine and instantly have access to all your "stuff" and when you remove the USB key.. It's all gone! It leaves nothing behind!!

gabo

My answer is dual boot. Boot more than one copy of windows on separate partitions. Dedicate one copy of windows to DAW only

Studio One Pro 4, Faderport 1, Atom, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).

Intel i9 9900K, 32GB RAM,
EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers). A bigly amount of other gear.
by themaartian on Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:57 pm
So far, Brave is working very well.

It runs Roboform just fine. And the Android version synced just fine with the desktop version (installed first, after cleaning up my Chrome bookmarks).

And I don't need to run Adguard (a great app). The Brave browser handles the ads just fine.

At this point in time, I'll give it two thumbs up.

I have the new Chromium version of Edge installed, but I'll stick with Brave for now.

by Quietly on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:47 am
markrobotham wroteThought I would post this as recently I upgraded my CPU but was still seeing high spikes. While checking the task manager I saw 2 programs that were causing issues.

1: Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
Fix: https://geeksadvice.com/fix-microsoft-c ... -cpu-usage

2: Chrome Software Reporter Tool

Since addressing these issues I no longer get CPU spikes. Might be useful for some on Win 10 and Chrome browser users.

Thanks for that Chrome gone Brave installed and working perfectly. With only 4GB of RAM I need all the tweaks I can get LOL :thumbup:

People who can't dance always blame the band.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Studio One 4.6 Pro, Cubase 10 Pro, Reaper. Windows 10 64 Bit 4 GB Intel 2 Quad Q 9950 @ 2.83 GHz . Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, NI Komplete Kontrol S61, NI Komplete Ultimate 10, Izotope Ozone 5 and 8. Yamaha HS 80 Speakers, Yamaha Revstar RS 620 Guitar and a few other VST Instruments.
by miked7 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:04 am
scottyo7 wroteI use Mozilla Firefox... and Mozilla Thunderbird for my email. 8-)

This is me too, except I have Chrome for when some internet form doesn't work in FireFox or an audio link doesn't play as expected. Other than that, I use FireFox about 95% of the time (and Thunderbird for that matter too.) Have you guys found performance problems with FireFox?

---- - ----
Mike Derrick | Studio One Professional 4.6, Win10 Pro 64, Intel Core i3, 8GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Focusrite 2i4
BandCamp
SoundCloud

18 posts
Page 1 of 1