11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello Community

Since upgrading to Studio One 4.6 my Track Automation is behaving inconsistently. It reads correctly if the tracks are Audio but NOT if Midi.

Example – I recorded a virtual instrument track and when mixing decided to pan the chords hard Left followed by hard Right, from bar to bar. I created a Pan automation by touching Pan slider in Console and dragging ‘hand’ onto track, then plotted the points to suit. On playback the automation didn’t respond continuously – it recognised the first instruction to Pan hard Left but stayed there, ignoring the following hard Right pan. The corresponding Pan slider in the Console will MOVE accordingly as Automation written BUT IT DOESN’T PLAYBACK AS WRITTEN. But if I just play the track and manually move the Pan slider with mouse, the playback responds to my movements.

To complicate things, when I saved the song last night and opened again today the Pan automation that wasn’t working last night DID RESPOND as written – so I thought that’s strange, and continued to write further instructions. When I then played back from beginning of track the Automation refused to respond, contradicting what it just did moments earlier. And from that point I was back to square one from last night’s session.

I have 3rd party instruments running through Kontakt and other independent Host engines and none of them respond to Track Automation when Added from the Audio folder. However, creating Automation from a CC number assigned to the Pan Slider within a virtual instrument interface and added to Track WILL READ FINE.

So I can temporarily solve the issue by converting Midi to Audio or through CC# but I’d prefer to use my normal method that’s worked fine for last 5 years.

Anyone else with this issue..?

iMac 2017 Retina 5K 27", 4.2GHz Intel Core i7, High Sierra 10.13, 40Gb RAM • Studio One 4.6 • AudioBox 22VSL • Eris E5 monitors • Korg taktile 49 keyboard controller • External Drives for Libraries: Sandisk Extreme 900 SSD & Sandisk Portable SSD
by TomTama on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:42 pm
I have volume automation on for one MIDI track in a song that randomly stops working. If I move the playback cursor before the automation point and play it again it's fine.

2013 Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, TB2, 64GB RAM, Catalina 10.15.7, Dell 43" 4K Monitor, Luna Display, 2X Apollo x8, Apollo x8p, UAD OCTO TB3 Satellite, UAD QUAD TB3 Satellite, UAD V9.14.5, UA OX 1.2, Studio One 5.4, Dangerous Dbox+, Dangerous 2-Bus LT, MiniDSP w/Dirac 2.0, Behringer PowerPlay P16-M & P16-I, ATOM, SSL UF8, Akai Advance 49, Focal Twin 6be, Focal Sub6
by Nip on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:22 pm
I tested on a 8 bar with Waves Element synth - and cannot reproduce.

So I continued and added Cakewalk Dimension Pro and redirected midi out to that.
So no response to pan automation - and this is because redirecting midi out does not redirect that audio track automation - so no longer valid.
So had to copy first automation onto new pan automation for Dimension.

Further I figured if something to do with conflict - both CC#10(pan) and track pan - so added that on midi track and assigned that to pan inside Dimension.

All that happend is that audio out from Dimension was panned as CC#10, and the track automation for pan were working on what it got. If that was panned all left - there was nothing for track automation to work with.

A couple of thoughts
- is there any CC#10 at beginning of track - since when you start playback from start it suddenly stops working? It could fit that - but then you also see nothing on meters if that is panned, as I discovered. Pan is done after meters on track automation. So adding a bus in between and looking at meters there is should say what you hear.

Note: once entered a midi CC in StudioOne you cannot remove it - it stays even showing no nodes.
- anything that midi was redirected - but since track automation does not follow target of midi, but what was target when created - something strange here?

I so it all seems to work as expected here - but also had strange things happening in one session which are gone next time opening song.

- so see if it matters - closing song and then reopening again?

Just a few ideas....

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by niles on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:46 am
kingzo1 wroteThe corresponding Pan slider in the Console will MOVE accordingly as Automation written BUT IT DOESN’T PLAYBACK AS WRITTEN.
Do you have dropout protection set to anything else but Minimum? If yes, disable monitoring on the track or channel to hear the channel automation or set dropout protection to Minimum.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by kingzo1 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:18 am
Thanks for all the responses to my Automation issue.

Nile’s suggestion has worked fine, i.e. setting the Dropout Protection to Minimum. Mine was on Medium as I found it helped solve a problem I encountered when recently mixing down songs for mastering and finding that the mix imported into Project wasn’t faithful. So thank you very much Niles.

The ‘Low’ dropout protection also works – in both Minimum and Low settings I don’t have the Green ‘Z’ latency setting appear – only with Medium and settings above.

I created a Support Ticket with Presonus but I am yet to see their response. But I think if having different Dropout Protection settings can affect the way Studio One operates, they should perhaps make a warning list..?

iMac 2017 Retina 5K 27", 4.2GHz Intel Core i7, High Sierra 10.13, 40Gb RAM • Studio One 4.6 • AudioBox 22VSL • Eris E5 monitors • Korg taktile 49 keyboard controller • External Drives for Libraries: Sandisk Extreme 900 SSD & Sandisk Portable SSD
by kingzo1 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:47 am
Hello Nip

Thanks for your response. You lost me a little with the CC10# explanation. The parameter that was giving me issue is the ‘Pan’ setting located in the Audio folder when you go to Add/Remove when in Automation mode. So I deleted that and applied a ‘Learn CC’ to the VI interface which controls panning and used that in the Automation to write my intentions – that works fine. There was no other CC# at the beginning of the track to counter my co-ordinates. Closing and re-opening also didn’t work.

Niles has solved my issue by directing me to set Dropout Protection to Minimum (mine was on Medium) and all working well now. Seems Dropout Protection affects certain Parameters within Studio One – perhaps Presonus should issue a list of potential issues when choosing different Dropout settings..?

by francescobruno on Fri May 14, 2021 3:08 pm
hello, just to let you know that this issue is still present today, Studio one 5.2.1. :(
What solved it for me at the moment is disabling low latency monitoring.

Studio One Pro 5
Win10 - R7 5800x - GTX 970 - 32gb ddr4 - 1TB ssd
interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2n gen
by jebbyslonar on Thu May 20, 2021 1:45 am
francescobruno wrotehello, just to let you know that this issue is still present today, Studio one 5.2.1. :(
What solved it for me at the moment is disabling low latency monitoring.

I never did that I have to try now thanks for a lead, but this is also still happening here in my computer. It appears to be a long time issue viewtopic.php?f=151&t=29367&hilit=automation+arturia+not&start=120 and viewtopic.php?f=151&t=18235 and no doubt many more. Not very satisfying that this doesn't work. I should already be editing video to add the mixed track...

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Look up what I'm doing today on my Bitchute channel "Wind Whispering Through The Trees"
Not always SFW not always NSFW Usually music though
by jebbyslonar on Mon May 24, 2021 3:56 am
Here is a video I made the other day of my experience with this. Towards the beginning I got automation to appear to work though it did not affect the audio. Then later I got it to work and could hear it. After I stopped making the video I thought I could record it, but It didn't record at all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1njW5BW ... sp=sharing

not what you expect from a world class daw.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Look up what I'm doing today on my Bitchute channel "Wind Whispering Through The Trees"
Not always SFW not always NSFW Usually music though
by jeffreyhowell on Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:34 am
I don't know if this will work for everybody but it seems to work for me. All of my automation has been working perfectly except for the instrument DB-33 by Air. For some reason the Automation would not read the "Speed" (of Vibrato) lines that I drew. I would draw the automation and put the track on "Read" and nothing. No movement at all.

Through experimentation, I accidentally left the track on "Touch" instead of "Read". And the Automation reads it every time (along with all of the other automation). I double checked it this morning and it still seems to work.

Like I said, I don't know if it will work for everybody but it seems to be working for me.

Good luck!

Attachments
Studio One Automation (Touch) a.png
by ericthompson on Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:55 pm
Studio One 5 Professional now.......still the same old automation problem Automation disabling itself. I spent weeks writing an entire set list of bank and program changes to trigger a light show. Randomly when the bank changes.......the automation for the entire track goes gray and disables itself. We have a show Friday sure wish I knew about this before I invested all the time and money into using Studio one to create these tracks...........Touch mode does make it read better but....it also randomly starts recording over automation , especially when you are using MARKERS.

Anyone?

11 posts
Page 1 of 1